Electrical or Computer Engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in electrical and computer engineering, specifically in circuitry and energy systems. They are unsure about which field to pursue, but it is suggested that electrical engineering may be the best fit due to potential overlap in core courses.
jasowers
Greetings.

I know what both electrical and computer engineering entail as majors.

I just wanted to get some feelers on what some people think would fit me best.

I've always been really interested in circuitry and taking apart small devices. I don't really have any experience working on computers or doing programming, so I'm not entirely sure on how I feel about those subjects.

The network/information security field seems pretty interesting, but I am far more interested in learning about different energy systems. Solar panel development is one field of particular interest to me.

Which one (EE or CpRE) seems to align more with my interest??

Physics news on Phys.org
It would seem like electrical engineering suits you best. There is often a lot of overlap at least in the core curricula between EE and CE.

Sounds like EE is the one for you.

1. What is Electrical and Computer Engineering?

Electrical and Computer Engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. It involves the design, development, and management of various systems and devices that use electrical energy to process and transmit information.

2. What are the career opportunities in Electrical and Computer Engineering?

Electrical and Computer Engineering offers a wide range of career opportunities in various industries such as telecommunications, computer hardware and software, power generation and distribution, aerospace, and defense. Graduates can work as electrical engineers, computer engineers, systems engineers, hardware and software developers, and many more.

3. What skills are required to be successful in Electrical and Computer Engineering?

To be successful in Electrical and Computer Engineering, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. Other essential skills include problem-solving, critical thinking, attention to detail, and communication skills. It is also important to stay updated with the latest technology and industry developments.

4. What is the difference between Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering?

Electrical Engineering focuses on the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism, while Computer Engineering combines the principles of both electrical engineering and computer science to design and develop computer systems and hardware. Electrical engineers work with power generation and distribution, while computer engineers work with computer systems and software.

5. Is coding a necessary skill for Electrical and Computer Engineering?

While coding is not the only skill required in Electrical and Computer Engineering, it is definitely a valuable skill to have. Many courses in this field cover programming languages such as C++, Java, and Python, and being proficient in coding can open up more job opportunities in the field of software development and computer engineering.