Physics of the computers: Help

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for resources to research the physics concepts behind computers, specifically regarding alternate current and magnetism. They are having trouble finding suitable texts and are asking for recommendations. The person responding suggests looking into the hardware components of computers such as logic gates, flip-flops, and electromagnetics. They also provide a website as a starting point for further studies. The person asking for help expresses gratitude and wishes the responder a good day.
ma.go
Hello,
I don't know either if I'm posting this in the right section and if I spelled all the words correctly (I'm not a english-native speaker).
I wanted to do a research on the physics concepts beyond computers especially regarding but not exclusively alternate current and magnetism. To let you understand, I want something that explains how computer works through physics.
I can't find any text on this topic. I want something not too hard or too tough to understand, not too long or specific.
I will need to do this research for my last year of high school.
If anybody knows a textbook or a journal about this please let me know, I will be very grateful.
Thank you and have a good day :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Well, I think the reason you're not finding much is that the physics would be mostly in the hardware of the machine but that would be totally insufficient to understand how they work.

As an example, computer logic uses NAND and NOR gates as the basic building blocks of the electronics. These are combined to make flip-flops, registers and other larger components which are further used to make CPUs.

For storage, electromagnetics and disk drives come into play and for CD/DVD players use laser technology to read and write data in binary to the disk.

Printers cover other kinds of technology.

This website may help you begin your studies:

http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/212_fall2009.web/chris_plutt/index.html

This was EXACTLY what I was searching for.
Thank you so much for your help!
Have a good day :)

What is the physics behind the functioning of computers?

The physics behind computers is based on the principles of electricity, magnetism, and quantum mechanics. Computers use electrical signals to represent data, and these signals are manipulated by transistors and other electronic components to perform calculations and processes.

How do computer processors work?

Computer processors, also known as central processing units (CPUs), are made up of tiny transistors that act as switches. These transistors can either be on or off, representing the binary digits of 0 and 1. The CPU uses these switches to perform calculations and processes at incredible speeds.

What role do semiconductors play in computer physics?

Semiconductors are materials that have properties between those of a conductor and an insulator. They are a crucial component in computer physics as they are used to create transistors, which are the building blocks of computer processors and memory chips.

How does the speed of a computer affect its performance?

The speed of a computer is determined by its clock speed, which is measured in hertz (Hz). The higher the clock speed, the faster the computer can perform calculations and processes. Other factors such as the number of cores and amount of memory also play a role in a computer's performance.

What is quantum computing and how does it relate to the physics of computers?

Quantum computing is a new type of computing that uses the principles of quantum mechanics to perform calculations. Unlike traditional computers that use binary digits, quantum computers use quantum bits (qubits) that can represent multiple states at once, allowing for much faster and more complex calculations. This technology is still in its early stages, but has the potential to greatly impact the field of computer physics in the future.