What are the velocities and kinetic energy changes in an ice skating collision?

In summary, two ice skaters, Daniel and Rebecca, are practicing on a frictionless, horizontal surface. After Rebecca collides with Daniel, she has a velocity of magnitude 8.00 m/s at an angle of 53.1 degrees from her initial direction. Daniel's velocity after the collision can be found using the formula for conservation of momentum. The collision is not perfectly elastic, so the change in total kinetic energy of the two skaters cannot be determined unless more information is given.
MAPgirl23
Two ice skaters, Daniel (mass 65.0 kg) and Rebecca (mass 45.0 kg), are practicing. Daniel stops to tie his shoelace and, while at rest, is struck by Rebecca, who is moving at 13.0 m/s before she collides with him. After the collision, Rebecca has a velocity of magnitude 8.00 m/s at an angle of 53.1 degrees from her initial direction. Both skaters move on the frictionless, horizontal surface of the rink.

a) What is the magnitude of Daniel's velocity after the collision?

** I think it's an elastic collision assuming they stick together after the collision; I tried solving it by using the formula:
v_f = [m_1/(m_1 + m_2)v_1] + [m_2/(m_1 + m_2)v_2] is this right?

b) What is the direction of Daniel's velocity after the collision? (degrees from the Rebecca's original)

c) What is the change in total kinetic energy of the two skaters as a result of the collision?

** k_f = k_i using the formula for kinetic energy as k = 0.5*mass*(velocity)^2

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
my mistake, if the colliding objects stick together then it's an inelastic collision therefore k_f != k_i and k_f = 0.5*(m_1+m_2)*v_f^2 now is that right?

MAPgirl23 said:
** I think it's an elastic collision assuming they stick together after the collision; I tried solving it by using the formula:
v_f = [m_1/(m_1 + m_2)v_1] + [m_2/(m_1 + m_2)v_2] is this right?
The two skaters do not stick together, since they move off with different speeds and directions. (And if they did stick together, that would mean that the collision is perfectly inelastic, not elastic.)

Make no assumptions about energy conservation. (Especially since the third parts asks for the change in KE.)

Solve the problem using conservation of momentum. Assume that Daniel heads off with some speed (call it v) at some angle (call it [itex]\theta[/itex]). Now write down what conservation of momentum tells you.

MAPgirl23 said:
my mistake, if the colliding objects stick together then it's an inelastic collision therefore k_f != k_i and k_f = 0.5*(m_1+m_2)*v_f^2 now is that right?
That would be right, if they stuck together. But they don't!

so since they don't stick and use momentum (p): p_i = p1 + p2 --> m1*v1 + m2*v2
p_f = (m1+m2)(v_f)^2 now for v_f = [m1/(m1+m2)v1] + [m2/(m1+m2)v2]

MAPgirl23 said:
so since they don't stick and use momentum (p): p_i = p1 + p2 --> m1*v1 + m2*v2
p_f = (m1+m2)(v_f)^2 now for v_f = [m1/(m1+m2)v1] + [m2/(m1+m2)v2]
Note that your equation for p_f again assumes that they stick together! No good.

Try this instead. Call the initial direction of Rebecca to be the +x direction. After the collision, assume she flies off at an angle of 53.1 degrees above the x-axis. Now assume that Daniel flies off with speed "v" at an angle of [itex]\theta[/itex] below the x-axis. Write the conservation of momentum equations for vertical and horizontal components.

1. What is an ice skating collision?

An ice skating collision occurs when two or more ice skaters accidentally collide with each other while skating on the ice rink.

2. What are the common causes of ice skating collisions?

The most common causes of ice skating collisions are lack of communication between skaters, skating at high speeds, not paying attention to surroundings, and performing complex skating moves in a crowded rink.

3. How serious can an ice skating collision be?

An ice skating collision can range from minor bumps and bruises to more serious injuries such as concussions, broken bones, and sprains. In extreme cases, it can even lead to death.

4. How can ice skating collisions be prevented?

To prevent ice skating collisions, skaters should always be aware of their surroundings and communicate with other skaters. They should also follow the rules and regulations of the rink, avoid performing complex moves in crowded areas, and skate at a safe speed.

5. What should be done in case of an ice skating collision?

If an ice skating collision occurs, it is important to stay calm and assess any injuries. Seek medical attention if needed and report the incident to rink staff. It is also important to exchange contact information with the other skaters involved for insurance purposes.