Solve Physics Q: 0.5kg Water at 80°C to 10°C in Copper Vessel

• Thread starter love_joyously
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the problem involves a 0.5kg of water at 80°C being poured into a copper vessel at 10°C. The final temperature of the water in the copper vessel is 70°C and the specific heat capacity of copper is 400 J kg-1°C-I. The energy loss of the water is 21000 J and the energy gained by the copper vessel is also 21000 J. It is assumed that there is no energy lost. The mass of the copper vessel is 0.875 kg. The formula q=mc(delta)t is used to calculate the energy loss of the water and the energy gained by the copper vessel, and the formula E=mc(delta)t is used to determine the mass
love_joyously
I can't seem to find the answer.. can anyone help me please?
0.5kg of water at 80°C is poured into a copper
vesselat 10°e. The final temperature of the water
inthecopper vessel is 70°C and the specific heat
capacityof copper is 400 J kg-1°C-I.
(a) Findthe energy loss of the water.
(b) Findthe energy gained by the copper vessel.
What do you assume when you obtain the
answer?
(c) What is the mass of the copper vessel?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a chemistry question I believe. Do you know the formula q=mc(delta)t? where q is the energy content in joules, m is the mass in grams , c is the specific heat, and delta t is the change in temperature. Another useful formula is -mc(delta)t=mc(delta)t which is just like what is lost is gained.

yep I've heard of the formula but which is which?

love_joyously said:
yep I've heard of the formula but which is which?

Which is which? He just told you what the various letters mean. If you mean whether you are to use it for the water or the copper, the answer is, of course, both!

The water has gone from 80 to 70 degrees so Δ T is -10. m is given as 0.5 kg and you should know the specific heat capacity of water! Clearly it has lost heat. You use that formula to determine how much heat it has lost.

The copper has gone from 10 to 70 degrees so its Δ T is 60. It has gained heat. You can't use that formula because you aren't given the mass of the copper. But you can "assume" that whatever heat is lost by the water is gained by the copper (an assumption because you would have to ignore heat lost to the air). That is, after you have answered (a), (b) is trivial!

After you have that, THEN you can use the formula to determine the mass of the copper.

Mozart said:
This is a chemistry question I believe.

It is a physics question. At least it is in the Hong Kong Certificate of Education Examintion, under the topic heat.
It is a physical change because no new substance is formed.

I think it is enough to post the solution as it should be very simple.
E=energy, m=mass, c=specific heat capacity, (delta)T=change in temperature

a) E=mc(delta)T
=0.5*4200*(80-70)
=21000 J

b) energy lost by water = energy gained by the copper vessel
energy gained by the copper vessel = 21000 J
The assumption is there is no energy lost.

c) E=mc(delta)t
21000=m*400*(70-10)
m=0.875 kg

Hope that it is correct.

Last edited:
oh..ok... I'm not thinking clear...sorry... thank you for your help!

What is the process for solving this physics problem?

The process for solving this problem involves using the equation Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat transferred, m is the mass of the water, c is the specific heat capacity of water, and ΔT is the change in temperature. We will also need to use the specific heat capacity of copper to calculate the heat absorbed by the vessel.

What is the mass of the water in this problem?

The mass of the water is given to be 0.5kg in the problem.

How do I determine the specific heat capacity of water and copper?

The specific heat capacity of water is a well-known value of 4.186 J/g°C. The specific heat capacity of copper can be found in a table or by using the equation Q = mcΔT and rearranging for c.

What is the change in temperature (ΔT) in this problem?

The change in temperature is the difference between the initial temperature of 80°C and the final temperature of 10°C, which is 70°C.

What is the final amount of heat transferred (Q) in this problem?

The final amount of heat transferred can be calculated using the equation Q = mcΔT, where m is the mass of the water, c is the specific heat capacity of water, and ΔT is the change in temperature. Once the heat absorbed by the copper vessel is subtracted from this value, we will have the final amount of heat transferred.