Calculating Dew-point from RH & Temp

• Thread starter ZegeunerLeben
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for calculating the dew point temperature and the use of saturated vapor pressure data to determine the unsaturated vapor pressure in a space. The conversation also includes a table of experimental values for saturated vapor pressure at different temperatures.
ZegeunerLeben
>>Anyone know the formula for this? Haven't been able to find one on the net that works out when you run the numbers through a psychrometric chart. Any help appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
If I remembers it correctly ??

Due point is the temperature at which the moisture present in the air at room temperature is sufficient to saturate it.
As quantity of unsaturated moisture in the air is not changing till the due point, by decreasing temperature, vapour pressure remains constant. Hence

RH = unsaturated vapour pressure at room temp./ saturated V.P.at room temp.
= saturated v.P. at due point/saturated V.P. at room temp.

The experimental values of Saturated vapour pressure at different temperatures are given in the tables.

>>Okay, lesse. Since I know the temp. in the space, I can approximate my saturation vapor pressure (Temp>0 and constant).

The experimental values of Saturated vapour pressure at different temperatures are given in the tables.

>>Do you know by how much?
Then since I know the RH in the space and now know the saturation vapor pressure I can get the unsaturated vapor pressure in the space. But how do I use that data to determine the dew-point temp at which saturated equals actual i.e. RH=100?

I got a table in an old booK for saturated vapour pressure, see if this can help you..

Temp. in deg C -- SVP in mm of Hg
-10--2.1
-5--3.1
0--4.6
5--6.5
10--9.2
20--17.5
30--31.7
40--55.1
50--92.3
60--149.2
70--233.5
80--355.1
90--525.8
100--760
110--1074.5
120--1489
150--3569
200--11647

Inbetween the two given temperatures it is calculated by finding the rate of increase in that range x increase in temp.
(The image file was too large to be attached)

>>Thanks mukundpa!
:smile:

1. How is dew point calculated from relative humidity (RH) and temperature?

The formula for calculating dew point is based on the relationship between temperature, relative humidity, and the saturation vapor pressure of water in the air. The exact formula varies depending on the units used for temperature and humidity, but it typically involves taking the natural logarithm of the RH, multiplying it by a constant, and then adding the temperature in degrees Celsius.

2. What is the dew point temperature and why is it important?

The dew point temperature is the temperature at which the air would need to cool in order for the relative humidity to reach 100% and for water vapor to start condensing into liquid water. It is an important measure of the amount of moisture in the air, as well as a factor in predicting potential fog formation, frost, and other weather conditions.

3. Can dew point be higher than temperature?

No, the dew point can never be higher than the temperature. This is because the dew point is the temperature at which water vapor in the air starts to condense into liquid water, so it cannot be higher than the actual temperature.

4. How does air temperature affect the dew point?

The higher the air temperature, the more water vapor it can hold and the higher the dew point will be. This is because warm air has a higher capacity for holding water vapor than cold air. So as the temperature increases, the dew point will also increase.

5. Is the dew point the same as humidity?

No, the dew point and humidity are two different measures of moisture in the air. Humidity is a measure of the amount of water vapor in the air relative to its maximum capacity at a given temperature, while the dew point is the temperature at which the air would need to cool for the relative humidity to reach 100%. They are related, but not the same.