How can I prove the decreasing inequality of a sequence in calculus?

• Thread starter relinquished™
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the conversation was about a problem encountered in a math lecture notebook where the sequence {a_n} was defined and generalized for any natural number n. The problem was to prove that the sequence is decreasing, but the individual was stuck at the (ii) part of math induction. They tried various methods such as comparing derivatives and computing for areas, but were unable to prove it without graphing. However, another individual in the conversation was able to provide a solution and the original person expressed gratitude for the help.
relinquished™
I encountered this problem in one of my math lecture notebooks; Our professor didnt show how it was done, so that leaves me clueless. The problem was to show that the sequence {a_n} defined by
[tex]
a_1 = 1,
a_2 = \int^2_1 \frac{dx}{x},
a_3 = \frac{1}{2},
a_4 = \int^3_2 \frac{dx}{x} ,
[/tex]

When generalized gives For any natural number n,

[tex]
a_{2n-1} = \frac{1}{n}
[/tex]
[tex]
a_{2n} = \int^{n+1}_n \frac{dx}{x} = \ln x |^{n+1}_{n} = \ln \frac{n+1}{n}
[/tex]

is decreasing, that is,
[tex]
\frac{1}{n} > \ln \frac{n+1}{n} > \frac{1}{n+1}
[/tex]

I've tried math induction but I'm stuck at the (ii) part of math induction, and i tried comparing their derivatives, but I can't conclude anything from doing so. I've tried to compute for their areas, but that got me nowhere. I've graphed their functions using a graphing program, and I saw that it is true, but I would like know how i can prove this without graphing...

thanx in advance for all help and advice on my problem

Physics news on Phys.org
when a<b
[tex](b-a)\min(f)\leq\int_a^b f dx\leq(b-a)\max(f)[/tex]

Lovely! Absolutely lovely!

whoa... that is absolutely lovely... boy do I need a refresh on my calculus... :rofl:

thanx lurflurf! you're a lifesaver :)

1. What is the purpose of proving an inequality?

Proving an inequality allows us to determine whether a given statement is true or false. It also helps us to understand the relationship between different mathematical expressions.

2. How do you prove an inequality?

To prove an inequality, we must show that the left side of the inequality is always less than or equal to the right side. This can be done using various mathematical techniques such as algebraic manipulation, substitution, or graphing.

3. Can you give an example of proving an inequality?

Sure, for example, to prove that 2x + 3 < 9 for all real values of x, we can start by subtracting 3 from both sides to get 2x < 6. Then, we can divide both sides by 2 to get x < 3. Therefore, we have shown that the left side is always less than the right side, and the inequality is true for all real values of x.

4. What happens if you cannot prove an inequality?

If we are unable to prove an inequality, it means that we either do not have enough information or that the statement is false. In this case, we can try to find a counterexample to disprove the inequality or find additional conditions that would make it true.

5. Is proving an inequality important in real-life applications?

Yes, proving an inequality is important in many real-life applications, especially in fields like economics, physics, and engineering. It allows us to make accurate predictions and determine optimal solutions in various scenarios.