How to Find a Tangent Plane on a Surface with Positive Z Values?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a parametrization of a surface and using it to find the tangent plane at a specific point. The possibility of a tangent plane existing at a point within the closure of the surface is mentioned. The conversation also briefly touches on how to define the parameterization. Eventually, the individual finds a solution and ends the conversation.
Tony11235
The problem is find a parametrization of the surface x^3 + 3xy +z^2 = 2, z > 0, and use it to find the tangent plane at the point x=1, y=1/3, z=0. How is this possible when z > 0? I found a parametrization but when I plug the point in the x and the y places are undefined.

Physics news on Phys.org
(a) A tangent plane can exist at a point that is in the closure (it's been 30 years, since topology class, is that the right term?) of the surface, so it is possible.

(b) What is the parameterization you found? My inclination would be to define y in terms of x and z but sometimes I guess wrong.

Carl

Nevermind. I think I know what to do now. Thanks anyway.

1. What is surface parametrization?

Surface parametrization is a mathematical process used to describe a surface in three-dimensional space using a set of parameters or variables. It is used in various fields, such as computer graphics, physics, and engineering, to represent and analyze surfaces with complex shapes.

2. What are the benefits of surface parametrization?

Surface parametrization allows for a more efficient and accurate representation of a surface compared to using traditional methods, such as equations or geometric shapes. It also enables easier manipulation and analysis of the surface, making it useful for computer simulations and modeling.

3. How is surface parametrization different from surface fitting?

Surface parametrization is a process of describing a surface using parameters, while surface fitting is a process of finding a mathematical representation of a surface that best fits a given set of data points. Surface parametrization is a more general and flexible approach that can be applied to a wider range of surfaces, while surface fitting is more specific and requires a set of data points to work with.

4. What are some common methods used for surface parametrization?

Some common methods used for surface parametrization include polynomial parametrization, rational parametrization, and spline parametrization. These methods involve representing the surface using a combination of functions or curves that can be easily manipulated and analyzed.

5. How is surface parametrization used in computer graphics?

Surface parametrization is used in computer graphics to create and manipulate surfaces for 3D modeling, animation, and rendering. It allows for more efficient and realistic representation of complex surfaces, such as those found in natural objects or human-made structures. It also enables the creation of smooth surfaces with continuous curvature, which is important for creating visually appealing graphics.