Comparing Compton Effect: 10pm vs 20pm Wavelengths for Electromagnetic Waves

In summary, the shorter wavelength, electromagnetic wave B, will produce a more pronounced Compton effect.
asdf1
for the following question:
for electromagnetic waves A of wavelength 10pm and electromagnetic waves B o f wavelengthh 20 pm, which produces more pronounced Compton effect?

my problem:
the question doesn't give the scattering angle or final wavelength, so isn't this question too ambiguous?

Physics news on Phys.org
The final wavelength depends on the scattering angle so why not compare how they each scatter from a given particle starting at rest?

can you explain what do you mean by that?

The change in wavelength in Compton scattering is:

[tex]\Delta \lambda = \frac {h}{m_e c} \left( 1 - \cos \theta \right)[/tex]

where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the scattering angle. You can use that to compare the change in energy of the photons to determine which produces a "more pronounced Compton effect."

but delta lamda and cos(cita) are both variables!

Indeed they are! So, follow my suggestion to get your answer.

maybe my english isn't too good~
i still don't understand what you mean...
@@a

How about - the greater the photon energy, i.e. shorter the wavelength, the more momentum the photon has - p = E/c.

Think of conservation of momenutm and energy.

@@a
i thought you also had to consider what type of material it hits, because doesn't compton effect has a range?

Your original question was which photon produces a more pronounced Compton effect? Logically, you will keep all other variables the same and only consider what effect the wavelength has on the scattering.

i see... so that would be B wavelength produces the more pronouced Compton effect right?

No. The shorter wavelength will produce a more pronounced effect -- BUT -- you have to SHOW it! E.g. calculate how much energy is transferred to the charged particle. You have the basic relations here so you should be able to do that.

ok, i get it! thanks! :)

1. What is the Compton effect?

The Compton effect, also known as Compton scattering, is the change in wavelength of an electromagnetic wave when it interacts with matter. This phenomenon was first observed by physicist Arthur Compton in 1923 and is an important concept in quantum physics.

2. How does the Compton effect differ for 10pm and 20pm wavelengths?

The Compton effect differs for 10pm and 20pm wavelengths in terms of the amount of wavelength shift that occurs. The Compton effect is more significant for shorter wavelengths, such as 10pm, as the interaction with matter is stronger and results in a larger change in wavelength compared to 20pm wavelengths.

3. What factors affect the Compton effect for electromagnetic waves?

The Compton effect is affected by the energy and angle of the incoming electromagnetic wave, as well as the properties of the material it interacts with. Higher energy waves and larger angles of incidence will result in a greater change in wavelength.

4. How is the Compton effect used in scientific research?

The Compton effect is used in a variety of scientific research, particularly in the fields of quantum physics and material science. It is a fundamental concept that helps scientists understand the behavior of electromagnetic waves and their interactions with matter.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Compton effect?

Yes, the Compton effect has several practical applications, such as in medical imaging and security scanning. X-ray imaging, for example, relies on the Compton effect to produce images of the body's internal structures. Security scanners at airports also use the Compton effect to detect hidden objects in luggage.