Sets and Relations (just needs checking please)

The hint for this is that the equivalence relation is symmetric, which means that the relationship goes *both* ways.)For the sake of not giving you the answer, I'll give you a partial one: you need to show that p is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive. Here's a proof that p is reflexive:Let (a,b) be an ordered pair in NxN. Then a+b=b+a, which means that (a,b)p(a,b) because the definition of p is that (a,b)p(c,d) if and only if a+d=b+c.To see that, let's put what I said into context. For (a,b)p(a,b) to be true, we need a+d
Natasha1
Let AxB be the set of ordered pairs (a,b) where a and b belong to the set of natural numbers N.

A relation p: AxB -> AxB is defined by: (a,b)p(c,d) <-> a+d = b+c

(i) Is (2,6) related to (4,8)? Give three ordered pairs which are related to (2,6)

ANSWER:

Yes (2,6)p(4,8) as 2+8 = 6+4 = 10

(2,6)p(2,6) = 2+6 = 6+2 = 8
(2,6)p(6,10) = 2+10 = 6+6 = 12
(2,6)p(12,16) = 2+16 = 6+12 = 18

OR should it be written like this as the question stipulates ordered pairs related to (2,6) i.e. p(2,6)

(2,6)p(2,6) = 2+6 = 6+2 = 8
(6,10)p(2,6) = 6+6 = 2+10 = 12
(12,16)p(2,6) = 6+12 = 2+16 = 18

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

(ii) Is (2,6) related to (a, a+4)? Justify your answer

ANSWER

A = 2, B= 6, C= a and d = a+4

as (a,b)p(c,d) <-> a+d = b+c

Then a+d = 2+a+4 = 6+a and b+c = 6+a

Therefore a+d = b+c and (a,b)p(c,d)
Hence (2,6) is related to (a, a+4)

CORRECT, ANY IMPROVEMENT?

(iii) Prove (i.e. using general letters) that p is an equivalence relation on the set AxB

An equivalence relation on a set X is a binary relation on X that is reflexive, symmetric and transitive.

a) This set AxB is reflexive as any ordered pair is related to itself i.e. (a,b)p(a,b) <-> a+b = b+a
i.e. (2,6)p(2,6) = 2+6 = 6+2 = 8

b) This set AxB is symmetric as if we take any 2 ordered pairs (a,b), (c,d) then (a,b)p(c,d), hence a+d = b+c. And then (c,d)p(a,b), hence c+b = d+a.

i.e. (2,6)p(10, 14) we get 2+14 = 6+10 = 16
and (10,14)p(2,6) we get 6+10 = 2+14 = 16

c)This set AxB is transitive as if we take 3 ordered pairs (a,b), (c,d) and (e,f) we have (a,b)p(c,d), hence a+d = b+c and (c,d)p(e,f), then c+f = d+e, which gives (a,b)p(e,f) hence a+f = b+e

i.e. (2,6), (10,14) and (16,20)

(2,6)p(10,14) we get 2+14 = 6+10 = 16
and (10,14)p(16,20) we get 10+20 = 14+16 = 30

Then (2,6)p(16,20) we get 2+20 = 6+16 = 22

ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR IMPROVEMENT?

Physics news on Phys.org
Natasha1 said:
c)This set AxB is transitive as if we take 3 ordered pairs (a,b), (c,d) and (e,f) we have (a,b)p(c,d), hence a+d = b+c and (c,d)p(e,f), then c+f = d+e, which gives (a,b)p(e,f) hence a+f = b+e
There doesn't seem to be a logical implication here. How do the previous lines imply the last phrase, that (a,b)p(e,f) ?

(i) and (ii) look good. Incidentally, ApB is read as "A is related to B". (at least when p doesn't need to be stated explicitly)

For (iii), I think you're close, but not quite there conceptually.

First off, you made a notational mistake: your goal is to prove that p is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive.

Secondly, why are you saying AxB instead of NxN?

Finally, you're slightly off in how to prove this. For example, in part (b), you never proved p is symmetric. All you've said is:

(a,b) p (c,d) implies a+d=b+c
(c,d) p (a,b) implies c+b=d+a

(Actually, you also said that (a,b)p(c,d) for any two ordered pairs.)

In particular, you've not said that (a,b)p(c,d) if and only if (c,d)p(a,b), which is what you're trying to prove.

1. What is a set?

A set is a collection of distinct objects, called elements, which can be anything from numbers or letters to physical objects. Sets are typically denoted by curly braces, and elements are separated by commas.

2. How are sets different from lists or arrays?

While sets and lists both involve collections of objects, sets do not allow for duplicates and do not have a specific order. In contrast, lists and arrays can have repeated elements and do have a specific order.

3. What is a relation?

A relation is a connection or association between two sets. It can be thought of as a set of ordered pairs, where the first element in each pair is from the first set and the second element is from the second set.

4. What is the difference between a one-to-one and a many-to-one relation?

In a one-to-one relation, each element in the first set is related to exactly one element in the second set, and vice versa. In a many-to-one relation, multiple elements in the first set may be related to the same element in the second set.

5. How do you determine if a relation is reflexive, symmetric, or transitive?

A relation is reflexive if every element in the set is related to itself. It is symmetric if the order of the elements in the ordered pairs does not matter. Finally, it is transitive if, for every three elements a, b, c, if a is related to b and b is related to c, then a is also related to c.