Phobos over Mars: Viking 2's Visual Perspective

• Thread starter Nereid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mars
In summary, the conversation discusses a cool picture from the Viking 2 spacecraft of the Martian moon Phobos over the volcano Ascraeus Mons. The size of Phobos is compared to other celestial bodies, and its eventual fate is mentioned. There is also speculation about the origin of Phobos and other objects in the solar system. There is also a mention of a website for information on planetary satellites and another website for information on minor planets and comets.
Nereid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Not the PF Mentor!

Very cool pic, from the Viking 2 spacecraft , of the Martian moon Phobos over the volcano, Ascraeus Mons.
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap031129.html

Nice visual perspective on how big this moon is, how large the shield volcano is. For comparison, many a comet is about the same size as Phobos, and the smallest moons of Uranus discovered so far are about this size too.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Nereid
Not the PF Mentor!

Very cool pic, from the Viking 2 spacecraft , of the Martian moon Phobos over the volcano, Ascraeus Mons.
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap031129.html

Nice visual perspective on how big this moon is, how large the shield volcano is. For comparison, many a comet is about the same size as Phobos, and the smallest moons of Uranus discovered so far are about this size too.

That is a cool picture.

Phobos is one of the smallest moons in the solar system only larger than: Deimos, Leda, Adrastea, and Pan.

orbit: 9378 km from the center of Mars
diameter: 22.2 km (27 x 21.6 x 18.8)
mass: 1.08e16 kg

And Phobos is doomed: because its orbit is below synchronous altitude tidal forces are lowering its orbit, right?

Nereid, do you believe that Phobos came from the outer solar system rather than in the main asteroid belt? Because I heard there is speculation among scientists on that issue and I would just like to hear your perspective.

hard to keep up!

Hi Jeebus.

I read the reports with great interest, many years ago now it seems. Sorry to say I've not kept up with developments here, so I don't really have an opinion.

However, I expect there are many nice surprises in store for us as we tease out the 'dynamic' nature of the solar system - the origin of Saturn's, Uranus', Neptune's rings; of short period comets; the collisional frequency (and history?) of objects in the main asteroid belt, of those in chaotic orbits; the nature of the Oort cloud; ...

I'm not sure how often they keep it updated, but this Sky&Telescope website is the best I've found on planetary satellites:
http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/planets/article_827_1.asp

For minor planets, comets, etc, nothing beats the Minor Planet Center, though the information is very dense.
http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/cfa/ps/mpc.html

Last edited by a moderator:
What?!? There's a moon named after me?
Cool!

yes, I'm kidding

1. What is Phobos over Mars: Viking 2's Visual Perspective?

Phobos over Mars: Viking 2's Visual Perspective is a series of images taken by the Viking 2 spacecraft in 1976 that captured the moon Phobos passing in front of the planet Mars.

2. Why is this event significant?

This event is significant because it is the first time a spacecraft has captured a moon's transit in front of its planet, providing valuable information about the size and orbit of Phobos.

3. How were the images captured?

The images were captured using a camera on the Viking 2 spacecraft, which was in orbit around Mars at the time. The camera was programmed to take a series of images as Phobos passed in front of Mars.

4. What can we learn from these images?

These images can provide information about the size, shape, and orbit of Phobos, as well as its relationship with Mars. They can also help us understand the dynamics of the Mars-Phobos system.

5. How have these images been used in scientific research?

These images have been used by scientists to create 3D models of Phobos, study its surface features, and better understand its formation and evolution. They have also been used to refine the orbit of Phobos and improve future spacecraft missions to the moon.