Series: What do I have the right to do?

• Thread starter duffman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation discusses whether a series converges or diverges, specifically the series ln(n/(2n+5)). After attempting to use the limit divergence test, it is determined that the series is divergent due to the limit of ln(n/(2n+5)) not approaching zero. This is confirmed by adding up an infinite number of ln(1/2)'s, resulting in a divergent series.
duffman

Homework Statement

I have to say if the series converge or diverge.

[tex]\infty[/tex]
[tex]\sum[/tex] LN(n[tex]/2n+5[/tex])
n=1

Homework Equations

I found this series to be divergent. However, I don't know if the way I proceeded is correct.

The Attempt at a Solution

I first separated the ln into two lns ( ln(n) - ln(2n+5 ). Then, I used it as a power of e to remove the lns, thus being left with -n -5. I then went for the limit divergence test, and it ended up diverging.

Do I have the right to proceed that way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you summing ln(n/(2n+5))? If so, the first think you should check is whether the sequence ln(n/(2n+5)) approaches 0 as n->infinity. Does it?

Well ...

ln(n) - ln(2n+5) equals infinity minus infinity, which is an undetermined form. from there I'm just lost. I remembered about the e trick, but I'm not certain if I can use it in the case of series. This is probably very basic stuff but I haven't done it in ages... I totally lost my "instinct". I don't want to waste anyone's time...

Whats the limit of n/(2n+5) as n->infinity? Don't split it first.

That would be infinity on infinity... If I use L'Hopital's rule, that would give me 1/2.

You don't need to L'Hopitals. That's killing a cockroach with a nuke. Divide top and bottom by n.

Hahaha. Alright. Resulting in 1/(2+5/n) and 5/n goes to zero.

That gives us the limit of a constant, which would then be ln(1/2) ?

Correct. And if you add up an infinite number of those ln(1/2)'s, what do you get?

So since the limit does not equal zero, the series is divergent.

duffman said:
So since the limit does not equal zero, the series is divergent.

That is so correct.

Thanks everyone!

1. What is the purpose of this series?

The purpose of this series is to educate individuals on their rights and empower them to exercise those rights in their daily lives.

2. Who is this series intended for?

This series is intended for anyone who wants to learn more about their rights and how to exercise them. It is especially useful for individuals who feel their rights have been violated and are seeking guidance.

3. What topics are covered in this series?

This series covers a wide range of topics, including but not limited to: civil rights, human rights, constitutional rights, and legal rights in various situations such as employment, education, and interactions with law enforcement.

4. Are there any resources provided in this series?

Yes, this series provides links to relevant laws and regulations, as well as organizations and resources that can provide additional information and support.

5. Can I use this series to seek legal advice?

No, this series is not intended to serve as legal advice. It is meant to provide general information and guidance on rights and how to exercise them. If you require legal advice, it is recommended to consult with a licensed attorney.