Trouble evaluating an integral

• Thread starter Nano
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the indefinite integral of arctan(x/2) / (x^2 + 4) dx is solved by using the substitution u = arctan(x/2) and solving for du, which equals 1 / (1 + (x^2/4)) dx. This cancels out the 4 + x^2 in the denominator and results in the integral of u * (1 + (x^2/4)) / 4 + x^2 du. However, the chain rule must be applied by multiplying by a factor of 1/2 in du.
Nano
Indefinite Integral(arctan(x/2) / (x^2 + 4) )dx

(sorry, I can't get my word equation editor to paste it here)

I have stared at this problem for a while, but I can't figure it out. I made the triangle that has tan = x/2, and that triangle has a hypotenuse of sqrt(4 + x^2). But that doesn't seem to get me anywhere. Also, I thought using a u-substitution by u = arctan(x/2) would work, because it would get rid of the arctan, but that's not leading me anywhere either.
Could someone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
u=arctan(x/2) is correct approach. What does that make du?

That makes du = 1/ (1 + (x^2/4)) dx
But how does that cancel out the 4 + x^2 in the denominator?
I get:
Integral(u *(1 + (x^2/4)) / 4 + x^2)du

Nano said:
That makes du = 1/ (1 + (x^2/4)) dx
But how does that cancel out the 4 + x^2 in the denominator?
I get:
Integral(u *(1 + (x^2/4)) / 4 + x^2)du

(4+x^2)=4*(1+x^2/4). But you are also missing a factor of (1/2) in du. Don't forget the chain rule.

Oh! That's kind of tricky. Thank you for your help, I appreciate it!

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is used in calculus to find the total value of a function over a given interval.

Why is it important to evaluate integrals?

Evaluating integrals is important because it allows us to solve real-world problems that involve finding the total value of a function. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and is necessary for understanding more advanced mathematical concepts.

What are the different methods for evaluating integrals?

There are several methods for evaluating integrals, including the fundamental theorem of calculus, integration by substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the integral and the techniques that are most suitable for solving it.

What are some common challenges in evaluating integrals?

Some common challenges in evaluating integrals include determining the appropriate method to use, correctly identifying the limits of integration, and dealing with complicated functions that require multiple steps to solve. It is also important to be aware of common mistakes, such as forgetting to include the constant of integration.

How can I improve my skills in evaluating integrals?

Practice is key to improving your skills in evaluating integrals. Start with simple integrals and gradually work your way up to more complicated ones. It is also helpful to review the basic principles and techniques of integration and to seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed.