Another simple vector question

• Thread starter -EquinoX-
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, to find a unit vector from point P to point Q, you can use the formula (Q-P)/||(Q-P)||. To find another vector with the same direction and a different length, you can multiply the original vector by any nonzero scalar. In order to find a vector with the same direction and a specific length, you can multiply the original vector by the desired length divided by the length of the original vector.
-EquinoX-

Homework Statement

Find a unit vector from the point P = (1, 2) and toward the point Q = (4, 6).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer at the back of the book says 3/5i + 4/5j, shouldn't it just be 3i + 4j?

Physics news on Phys.org
-EquinoX- said:
The answer at the back of the book says 3/5i + 4/5j, shouldn't it just be 3i + 4j?
A unit vector has length 1.

so what do you mean? If I am asked to find another vector that has the same direction with length 10, how do I do that? if I changed the question to (3,6) instead of (4,6) what would be the answer then

-EquinoX- said:
so what do you mean? ... if I changed the question to (3,6) instead of (4,6) what would be the answer then
Multiplying a vector by a nonzero scalar does not change its direction. If the length of a nonzero vector v is a, then (1/a)v has length 1.

The following is then an exercise for you.
-EquinoX- said:
If I am asked to find another vector that has the same direction with length 10, how do I do that?

ok so if that's so then finding another vector that has the same direction as 3/5i + 4/5j, will be something like

1/10 (3/5i + 4/5j) am I right?

the answer at the back of the book is 6i + 8j, I don't where that came from...

Last edited:
-EquinoX- said:
ok so if that's so then finding another vector that has the same direction as 3/5i + 4/5j, will be something like

1/10 (3/5i + 4/5j) am I right?
Come on, Equi, what is the length of that vector?

You have [tex]\textstyle\mathbf{v} = (\frac{3}{5}, \frac{4}{5})[/tex], which has length

[tex].\; \; \; \; \; \textstyle ||\mathbf{v}|| = \left\|\frac{1}{5}(3, 4)\right\| = \frac{1}{5}||(3, 4)|| = \frac{1}{5}\sqrt{3^2+4^2} = \frac{1}{5}5 = 1[/tex].

Hence [tex]\textstyle 10\mathbf{v} = 10(\frac{3}{5}, \frac{4}{5}) = (6,8)[/tex] has length 10 since

[tex].\; \; \; \; \; ||10\mathbf{v}|| = 10||\mathbf{v}|| = 10[/tex].

1. What is a vector and how is it used in science?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is commonly used in science to represent physical quantities such as velocity, force, and displacement.

2. How do you perform vector addition and subtraction?

Vector addition involves adding the magnitudes of two vectors and adding their directions. Vector subtraction involves subtracting the magnitudes of two vectors and subtracting their directions.

3. Can vectors be multiplied?

Vectors can be multiplied by a scalar, which results in a change in magnitude but not direction. Vectors can also be multiplied by other vectors, resulting in a new vector with a magnitude and direction based on the original vectors.

4. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that only has magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalars include temperature, mass, and time, while examples of vectors include velocity, force, and displacement.

5. How are vectors used in real-world applications?

Vectors are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as navigation systems, computer graphics, and engineering design. They are also used in physics and other scientific fields to calculate and represent physical quantities.