Understanding Differences in Constant Values for 3D Planes

In summary, the conversation discusses a discrepancy between the answer given by the speaker and the answer in the textbook, with the speaker's answer being the opposite of the textbook's. They provide examples of this difference and question whether they have the wrong answer or if it is simply in a different form. It is mentioned that the question involves finding a plane that meets certain criteria. However, without knowing the specific question, it is impossible to determine which answer is correct.
keemosabi

Homework Statement

My answer and the answer key in the textbook continue to differ by a constant d, which me and the book have opposites of. For instance, I found the vector to be

y-z=1 but the textbook says y-z= -1

also, I got 7x + y - 11z = -5, but the book says 7x + y - 11z = 5.

Do I have the wrong answer, or is it another form?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's completely impossible to say, unless you tell us what the question actually is.

Both questions ask you to find a plane that goes through a certain point and is either perpendicular or parallel to another plane or vector.

That's fine. But what is the actual question?

1. What is the significance of the "3D" in 3D Planes With D Value?

The "3D" in 3D Planes With D Value refers to the three-dimensional nature of the planes. This means that they exist in three dimensions, with length, width, and height. This is in contrast to 2D planes which only have length and width.

2. How is the D value calculated for 3D planes?

The D value for 3D planes is calculated using vector mathematics. It takes into account the direction and magnitude of the plane's normal vector, as well as the distance from the origin point to the plane. This value is important for determining the relationship between two planes, such as if they are parallel, perpendicular, or intersecting.

3. Can 3D planes with different D values be parallel?

No, two 3D planes with different D values cannot be parallel. In order for planes to be parallel, they must have the same D value. This means that they have the same distance from the origin point and the same direction for their normal vectors.

4. How are 3D planes with D value used in real-world applications?

3D planes with D value are used in various fields, such as computer graphics, engineering, and physics. They are particularly useful for modeling and analyzing complex 3D structures, such as buildings, bridges, and airplanes. They can also be used to determine the orientation and position of objects in 3D space.

5. Is it possible for a 3D plane to have a negative D value?

Yes, a 3D plane can have a negative D value. This means that the plane is on the opposite side of the origin point compared to a plane with a positive D value. For example, if a plane has a D value of -5, it is located 5 units behind the origin point in the direction of its normal vector.