Solving Homework: Finding General Solution & Largest Interval

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the general solution to a differential equation and determining the largest interval over which this solution is defined. The solution is found using an integrating factor and is defined on two intervals: -\infty < x < 1 \cup 1 < x < \infty. However, it is noted that the unsimplified form of the integrating factor is only valid for x > 1, making 1 < x < \infty the only allowed interval. The individual also mentions a textbook that implies choosing an interval where the functions P(x) and f(x) are both continuous on.
pretendinitis

Homework Statement

The question asks me to find the general solution to [tex](x^2-1)y' + 2y = (x+1)^2[/tex], and to determine the largest interval over which this general solution is defined. It's the latter which is tripping me up.

Homework Equations

I've already found the general solution as follows: rearranging the above equation gives [tex]y' + \frac{2}{x^2 - 1}y = \frac{(x + 1)^2}{x^2-1}[/tex], with [tex]P(x)=\frac{2}{x^2 - 1}[/tex] and [tex]f(x)=\frac{(x + 1)^2}{x^2-1}[/tex]. The integrating factor is [tex]e^{\int2/(x^2 - 1) dx} = e^\ln|x-1|-\ln|x+1|}=\frac{x-1}{x+1}[/tex].

Substituting back into the original equation:
[tex]\frac{x-1}{x+1}y'+\frac{x-1}{x+1}\frac{2}{x^2 - 1}y=\frac{x-1}{x+1}\frac{x+1}{x-1}[/tex]

[tex]\left(\frac{x-1}{x+1}y\right)'=1[/tex]

Integrating:
[tex]\int{\left(\frac{x-1}{x+1}y\right)'} dx=\int{1} dx[/tex]

[tex]\frac{x-1}{x+1}y=x+c[/tex]

[tex](x-1)y=x(x+1)+c(x+1)[/tex]

[tex]y=\frac{x+1}{x-1}(x+c)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that [tex]P(x)[/tex] and [tex]f(x)[/tex] are both discontinuous at -1 and 1. But then, what is the largest interval over which the general solution is defined? Is it [tex]-\infty < x < -1[/tex], [tex]-1 < x < 1[/tex], or [tex]1 < x <\infty[/tex]? I feel like there's something really simple here that I'm missing. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

I don't think there is a problem at x = -1. If I'm wrong, I hope someone will jump in and correct my thinking.

The solution you found is defined for x = -1. In that case y = 0, so y' = 0. This function satisfies your original differential equation, so it looks to me like your solution is defined on two intervals:
[tex]-\infty < x < 1 \cup 1 < x < \infty[/tex]

They are both the same size, meaning both intervals have the same number of numbers in them, so for the largest interval, you could pick either one.

Thanks Mark. My textbook for this class, Advanced Engineering Mathematics (3rd edition) by Zill and Cullen, implies that I should choose an interval for the general solution which [tex]P(x)[/tex] and [tex]f(x)[/tex] are both continuous on...

EDIT: I've just noticed the unsimplified form for my integrating factor, [tex]e^{\ln|x-1|-\ln|x+1|}[/tex], appears to be only valid for [tex]x > 1[/tex], which would make [tex]1 < x <\infty[/tex] the only interval allowed. Is that right?

Last edited:

Works for me.

1. What is a general solution?

A general solution is a solution that satisfies all possible values of a given equation or problem. It is usually expressed in terms of a variable or set of variables, allowing for a wide range of solutions.

2. How do I find the general solution to a homework problem?

To find the general solution to a homework problem, you will need to solve the problem for a variable or set of variables. This will give you a solution that satisfies all possible values of the problem.

3. What is the largest interval in a general solution?

The largest interval in a general solution is the range of values that the variable or set of variables can take on while still satisfying the given problem or equation. It is important to find the largest interval to ensure that your solution is valid for all possible values.

4. How do I determine the largest interval in a general solution?

To determine the largest interval in a general solution, you will need to consider the restrictions or constraints of the problem. This may involve finding any values that would make the equation undefined or impossible to solve, and then finding the range of values that satisfy the remaining conditions.

5. Why is finding the general solution and largest interval important?

Finding the general solution and largest interval is important because it allows you to find a solution that is valid for all possible values of a problem. This ensures that your solution is comprehensive and accurate, and can be applied to a wide range of scenarios. It also helps to identify any restrictions or limitations in the problem that may affect the solution.