Where can I find information on solving for new energies using Dirac notation?

In summary, the conversation is about solving for the new energies of a system given the initial energies and a new potential added. The suggested method is to use the Hamiltonian defined by H=-hbar^2/2m Laplacian +Vold+Vnew and to possibly consider using perturbation theory. Kane suggests checking Wikipedia for more information about Dirac notation.
theFuture
So in my problem set I'm asked to solve for the "new energies of the system" I'm given the initial energies of this system and told a new potential is added. I know all the matrix elements. I solved for H|psi> so where do I go from here for the energies?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure, but can't you just solve H|psi> = E |psi> for the new Hamiltonian which is defined by

H=-hbar^2/2m Laplacian +Vold+Vnew

That's what I was thinking but I was curious if there was some other trick buried in the Dirac stuff. Thanks.

The lecturer might be asking you to use pertubation theory - is the new potential small compared to the old?

Kane

I think Kane is right.

You can check wikipedia about the Dirac notation.

1. What is Dirac notation?

Dirac notation, also known as bra-ket notation, is a mathematical notation used in quantum mechanics to represent quantum states and operators. It was developed by physicist Paul Dirac and is widely used in quantum mechanics textbooks and research papers.

2. How is Dirac notation used?

Dirac notation is used to represent quantum states and operators in a concise and elegant way. The bra-ket notation consists of a bra vector 〈A| and a ket vector |B〉, which represents the inner product between the two vectors. This notation is used to perform various calculations and manipulations in quantum mechanics.

3. What is the difference between a bra and a ket vector?

A bra vector 〈A| is a row vector and represents the complex conjugate transpose of the corresponding ket vector |A〉. Bra vectors are typically used to represent the dual space of the ket vectors, and are used in calculations involving operators and measurements.

4. Can Dirac notation be used for any quantum system?

Yes, Dirac notation can be used for any quantum system, whether it is a single particle or a multi-particle system. It is a universal notation that is widely used in quantum mechanics to represent states, operators, and observables.

5. Is Dirac notation the only way to represent quantum states and operators?

No, there are other notations that can be used to represent quantum states and operators, such as matrix notation and wave function notation. However, Dirac notation is the most widely used and is known for its simplicity and elegance in representing complex quantum systems.