What are the top unsolved mysteries in physics?

• Thread starter peter0302
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: He later said that the information is not lost. Another guy (whose name I CANNOT remember) said the information is flattened into 2 dimensions and we just can't see it.In summary, Stephen Hawking claimed that energy is not conserved.
peter0302
So I somehow got linked to the following web page (http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/top10_unexplained_phenomena.html) which I thought was going to give a list of the top ten legitimate scientific mysteries of our time. Instead I got a list of idiotic things like UFOs and ESP. *Sigh*.

Anyway, it got me thinking that it would be interesting to quantify the true scientific mysteries of our time. After all, it was the relatively obscure problem of the black body spectrum 100 years ago that opened up the door to the gigantic mess we have now. :) So what's left to be resolved?

My list:

6) Existence of the tachyon
5) Behavior of identical particles
4) Renormalizaiton in QFT
3) Existence of the Higgs Boson
2) Violation of Bell's Inequalities
1) Quantum Gravity

Are the others that are even more obscure or more mysterious?

Physics news on Phys.org
You missed one of the most obvious problems that may have wide-ranging ramifications - high-Tc superconductors.

Zz.

Dark matter and dark energy.

Here's mine:

1) Origin of the glass transition
2) Difference between living and non-living matter
3) Reconciliation of fluid dynamics at the fluid-solid interface (wetting)

2) Difference between living and non-living matter
I never liked biology so I'm just ignorant here. What's the mystery?

Quantum theory of relativistic particles, in some other context than in calculating cross sections for particle collisions.

Many would say that this is not a today's problem anymore, but IMO this is the topic that is most badly struck by emperor's new clothes effect in theoretical physics.

Oh yes, I almost forgot! Among the most mysterious physics things: The wave function collapse and the quantum mechanical measurement.

hmhm... or was this included in the Bell inequalities?

Last edited:
1. Quantum gravity
2. Dark energy
3. Dark matter
4. Homogeneous, isotropic and flat Universe
5. Hierarchy problem
6. Size of Noah's ark

2 and 4 possibly interrelated, as could 3 and 5 be. (1 and 6 probably not.)

Except that it refers to other Lost Ark (and then, see Kosmas Indicopleustes) I think that El.6 was mostly solved by Linneus. It is amazing that two different posters have included questions of biology. Even if it is a joke, it hints some cultural thing going on.

arivero said:
I think that El.6 was mostly solved by Linneus.
Great, then I don't have to worry about that.

peter0302 said:
I never liked biology so I'm just ignorant here. What's the mystery?

I'm not sure 'mystery' is the right word. The fact is, we don't know what the difference is. One could argue about whether that's important or not- I claim it's a central problem in science. Certainly the origin of life is interesting.

For all the talk about nanotechnology, think about how easy it would be to solve many problems using artificial viruses, bacteria, etc: toxic waste cleanup would be an obvious application. Or new ways to fight infectious diseases. But we don't even currently possesses a quantitative definition of 'life'.

What came before the singularity?
Are we just the n-th cycle in an infinite oscillatory cycle?
Just how many dimensions are there? (what are we up to, 11 now?)

and...
I want to see the "equation of everything"

What I was getting at was more along the lines of physically observed phenomina that can't be explained in any current model (like the Bell experiments), or predicted phenomina that haven't been observed yet (like Higgs). Things that, like the black body problem, might open the door to a revolution.

Of course there are other mysteries, like what came before the Big Bang, but they don't seem very likely to lead to new science any time soon. :)

How about string theory/ M theroy/ Super Gravity Theory and the eleven dimensions. Also that Stephen Hawking claimed that energy is not conserved. When energy enters a black whole it simply disappears.

glennpagano44 said:
How about string theory/ M theroy/ Super Gravity Theory and the eleven dimensions. Also that Stephen Hawking claimed that energy is not conserved. When energy enters a black whole it simply disappears.

Even without radiation, the energy is not "lost". If you have a room full of ping pong balls, pick up 10 and put them inside a box and seal it, the room still weighs the same.

k

glennpagano44 said:

He later said that the information is not lost. Another guy (whose name I CANNOT remember) said the information is flattened into 2 dimensions and we just can't see it.

1. What are some of the biggest unsolved mysteries in physics?

Some of the most well-known unsolved mysteries in physics include the nature of dark matter and dark energy, the unification of general relativity and quantum mechanics, the origin of the universe and the arrow of time, and the existence of parallel universes or multiple dimensions.

2. Why are these mysteries so difficult to solve?

The mysteries in physics are difficult to solve because they involve some of the most fundamental questions about the universe, and often require advanced mathematical and scientific knowledge to even begin to understand. Additionally, these mysteries may require new technologies or breakthroughs in our understanding of physics to be fully solved.

3. How do scientists approach solving these mysteries?

Scientists approach solving these mysteries by conducting experiments, making observations, and developing theories based on evidence and data. They also collaborate with other scientists and use advanced technology and mathematical models to help understand and explain these mysteries.

4. Have any of these mysteries been solved?

Some of these mysteries have been partially solved, such as the discovery of the Higgs boson particle in 2012, which helped to explain the origin of mass. However, many of these mysteries are still ongoing and continue to be studied and researched by scientists around the world.

5. Why are these mysteries important to study?

Studying these mysteries is important because they help us to better understand the nature of our universe and how it works. They also push the boundaries of our knowledge and can lead to new discoveries and technologies that can benefit society. Additionally, solving these mysteries can have a profound impact on our understanding of physics and potentially revolutionize our understanding of the universe.