Can hypnosis replace traditional anesthesia in surgery?

• Thread starter I dont know
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of hypnotism as an alternative to anaesthetics. The individual is unsure of its effectiveness and asks for the other person's opinion. They mention that hypnotism may be able to lessen the perception of pain but may not prevent shock during major surgery. The other person shares that they have asked their dentist about this and it was found to be unreliable. They also mention the importance of analgesia in anesthesia and question the ability of hypnotism to provide a complete approach.
I dont know
So I was reading about anaesthetics and saw hypnotism as alternative,how true is hypnotism,could hypnosis replace anaesthetics?

sorry I don't know much about this and I would like to hear your opinion.

Physics news on Phys.org
well I would consider it no more effective even if it did work than meditation.

we can lesson our perception of pain with hypnotism in a similar way we can with meditation but I don't see how this would prevent shock in a major surgery so ill take the good old fashion shot.

I don't know said:
So I was reading about anaesthetics and saw hypnotism as alternative,how true is hypnotism,could hypnosis replace anaesthetics?

sorry I don't know much about this and I would like to hear your opinion.

I asked my dentist about this once after having read that some people had dental work done with hypnosis rather than novocaine. She said it was an avenue that was tried and abandoned because it only worked on some patients and only to some extent. It was too unpredictable, whereas regular anesthetics are pretty reliable.

The body reacts to pain and trauma, which is why analgesia is important in many anesthesia regimens. The concept of disruption and paralysis alone is losing favor to a more complete approach. I don't see how a dubious and erratic practice can be a decent replacement for that. It is one thing to alleviate pain, and another to bear it in a slightly altered mental state.

I can say that there is currently no scientific evidence to support the idea that hypnosis can completely replace traditional anesthesia in surgery. While hypnosis has been used as a form of relaxation and pain management, it is not powerful enough to block the physical sensation of pain or numb a specific area of the body like anesthesia does. Additionally, the level of hypnosis required for surgery would likely be much deeper and potentially more dangerous than what is typically used for therapeutic purposes.

Furthermore, anesthesia is a highly regulated and carefully monitored medical practice that has been proven to be safe and effective in surgeries. There is no guarantee that hypnosis would have the same level of success and reliability in managing pain and ensuring the safety of patients during surgical procedures.

That being said, hypnosis may have a role in complementing traditional anesthesia techniques and helping patients manage their anxiety and pain before and after surgery. But it cannot replace the necessary medical procedures and drugs used in anesthesia. As always, it is important to consult with a trained medical professional for any medical decisions, including the use of hypnosis in surgery.

What is hypnosis and how does it work?

Hypnosis is a state of focused attention and relaxation that allows a person to bypass their conscious mind and access their subconscious. During hypnosis, the hypnotist uses suggestions to influence the person's thoughts, feelings, and behaviors. The exact mechanism of how hypnosis works is still unclear, but it is believed to involve changes in brain wave activity and increased suggestibility.

Can hypnosis be used for medical purposes?

Yes, hypnosis has been used in medicine for many years. It can be used to manage pain, anxiety, and other medical conditions. In hypno surgery, hypnosis is used as a form of anesthesia, allowing patients to undergo surgery without traditional medication. Hypnosis can also be used in conjunction with other medical treatments to enhance their effectiveness.

How is hypno surgery performed?

In hypno surgery, the patient is first induced into a hypnotic state by a trained hypnotist. They will then use suggestions to numb the area of the body where the surgery will take place. The patient remains conscious and aware throughout the procedure, but they are deeply relaxed and do not feel pain. After the surgery, the hypnotist will bring the patient out of hypnosis and they can resume normal activities.

Are there any risks or side effects of hypno surgery?

Hypno surgery is generally considered safe, as it does not involve any medication or invasive procedures. However, as with any medical treatment, there may be potential risks and side effects. These can include headaches, dizziness, and temporary memory loss. It is important to consult with a trained and experienced hypnotist before undergoing hypno surgery.

Who can benefit from hypno surgery?

Hypno surgery can benefit anyone who is seeking an alternative to traditional anesthesia or is experiencing anxiety or fear related to surgery. It has been used successfully in a variety of surgical procedures, including dental procedures, childbirth, and even open-heart surgery. However, it is important for patients to have a positive attitude towards hypnosis and be open to the process for it to be effective.