Hawking to leave Cambridge in protest over budget cuts, heading to Perimeter

In summary: June 20th...event at Perimeter Institute is now open. To be included in the media pack and to have access to images and quotes from the day, please email Lisa Lambert at communications@perimeter.ca by June 10th.Advance media registration for the...June 20th...event at Perimeter Institute is now open. To be included in the media pack and to have access to images and quotes from the day, please email Lisa Lambert at communications@perimeter.ca by June 10th.
rhody
Gold Member
2ewhdaq.jpg

Score one for Perimeter, it would be great if Hawking Radiation is confirmed
so he could receive a Nobel and be recognized before his health fails him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Good, funding there is tight already as it is.

Hawking... is... coming to... Ontario?

wow.

ZapperZ said:
Not what it seems...

http://www.varsity.co.uk/news/2151

Zz.

A report in the Daily Mail suggested that this visit was a precursor to taking up a permanent position at the Institute. According to Professor Hawking’s website, though, this is untrue.

On the website’s blog it was said: “It looks like Stephen's graduate assistant, Sam Blackburn, has been misquoted again. He told Kate Loveys, a Daily Mail reporter, that Stephen Hawking has no plans whatsoever to move abroad permanently. The quote ‘Professor Hawking is considering a move...’ is definitely false.”

This seems so cruel, you have a guy who takes 3 minutes to type a single sentence, while Hawking's grad student (Sam Blackburn) was running loose and free with his view, either in person or on a blog or website.

Professional journalism seems to have broken down.

If the info was posted on a blog or website, why would the "Daily Mail" run with it, without checking with Hawking or Blackburn first ?

Rhody... :mad:

rhody said:
If the info was posted on a blog or website, why would the "Daily Mail" run with it, without checking with Hawking or Blackburn first ?
Because is it the Daily Mail and that is how they operate?
Checking sources isn't exactly common practice among the journalists who work for British tabloids.

f95toli said:
Because is it the Daily Mail and that is how they operate?
Checking sources isn't exactly common practice among the journalists who work for British tabloids.

OK, to take it to the next level, why would other media sources pick up on it, and not try to verify ? I got multiple google alerts about this ? Do they merely quote, the Daily Mail as the source, and leave it at that ? I don't have access to the alert history at the moment to see if that was the case or not. Maybe someone who IS employed by the media can address this, anyone ?

P.S.

Side Note: within 24 hours of my posting this thread, the google spider bot picked up on it and returned it as a new find, so anyone who is not a PF member but is searching on "Perimeter Institute" sees it, and this is how information, right or wrong spreads.

Rhody...

Last edited:
http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/June2010/05/c2121.html"
WATERLOO, ON, June 5 /CNW/ - Professor Stephen Hawking is a Distinguished Research Chair at Canada's Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics (PI) and, on Sunday June 20th, 2010, he will be officially welcomed to Canada by the Honourable Tony Clement, Industry Canada Minister, and to the province by the Honourable Dalton McGuinty, Premier of Ontario. The greetings will be followed with a special presentation by Prof. Hawking. The activities will be broadcast on TVO that same evening.

Dr. Neil Turok, PI Director, said "We are very happy to have Stephen here doing science with other researchers at Perimeter Institute. On June 20th he will take time out to be welcomed by our many public and private partners, including the governments of Ontario and Canada, and to give a special broadcast lecture. Stephen is an exceptional communicator, and we are delighted to be able to share his talk on television. We are also looking forward to his impressions of the 'Stephen Hawking Centre at Perimeter Institute' now under construction."

This past October, when the expansion to PI's facility was named in his honour, Professor Hawking said, "Our field of theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science. Where would we be today without Newton, Maxwell and Einstein? Many great challenges lie ahead. Where this new understanding will lead, is impossible to say for sure. What we can say with confidence is that expanding the perimeter of our knowledge will be the key to our future."

About June 20th Events

Official greetings will take place on June 20, at 4:00pm at the Institute. Prof. Stephen Hawking will be met by the Honourable Tony Clement, Industry Canada Minister, and by the Honourable Dalton McGuinty, Premier of Ontario.

Also taking part will be Mike Lazaridis, PI Board Chair, and Dr. Neil Turok, PI Director, who will share news on the Expanding the Perimeter initiative and the Stephen Hawking Centre at Perimeter Institute. The formal greetings and information about PI will be followed by a special lecture from Prof. Hawking on topics involving space, time, matter and his life in science.

As Prof. Hawking will be conducting private research activities during his visit, the June 20th activity is his only scheduled appearance. Media members wishing to attend or seeking images of Prof. Hawking at Perimeter should contact Lisa Lambert, PI Communication's Coordinator (contact info below).

For Media

Advance media registration for the June 20th activity is required by June 15th. Please contact Lisa Lambert at llambert@perimeterinstitute.ca, or 519-569-7600 x5051 regarding limited media seats, your camera requirements, booking of pool feed (if needed), mobile parking or other logistics. Registered and accredited media are requested to arrive no later than 3:15pm to ensure seating and feeds as required.

Rhody...

How much motor control does he still have? From what I read most recently, he currently operates his speaking machine with a single cheek muscle.

TubbaBlubba said:
How much motor control does he still have? From what I read most recently, he currently operates his speaking machine with a single cheek muscle.
Tubba,

From what I understand, none, he uses device that allows him to spell words. IMHO, he is one tough hombre, not to mention a very good physicist too.

Rhody...:smile:

I suggest he stays where he is, Wateloo ain't nothing special. :rofl:

rhody said:
Tubba,

From what I understand, none, he uses device that allows him to spell words. IMHO, he is one tough hombre, not to mention a very good physicist too.

Rhody...:smile:

He obviously controls the computer somehow. A couple of years ago I think he could flick his hands to signal it. And as I said, last I read he controls it with a single cheek muscle.

TubbaBlubba said:
... he controls it with a single cheek muscle.

... One of the most influential cheek muscles in history! :smile:

rhody said:
From what I understand, none.
Hawking is a better physicist than I had realized.

To all following this thread:
a special lecture from Prof. Hawking on topics involving space, time, matter and his life in science.
and
Prof. Hawking will be conducting private research activities during his visit
I for one am more interested in what research he will be doing, I will venture a wild guess, possibly discuss some black hole experiment that will settle once and for all if "Hawking Radiation" is real, and if it is agrees with his and Roger Penrose's predictions. If it is proven, then a Nobel Prize may be in his future, hopefully before his ALS takes its ultimate toll. I have a soft spot for Dr Hawking, been following him since the late 70's. Opps... that dates me, doesn't it.

Rhody...

Who do you guys think would replace him?

magpies said:

Professor Stephen Hawking's website states the following:

Wednesday, 03 March 2010 13:38 Cambridge, UK, 3rd March

It looks like Stephen's graduate assistant, Sam Blackburn, has been misquoted again. He told Kate Loveys, a Daily Mail reporter, that Stephen Hawking has no plans whatsoever to move abroad permanently. The quote "Professor Hawking is considering a move..." is definitely false. The University of Cambridge has this comment:

"Professor Stephen Hawking's is Director of Research in the Centre for Theoretical Cosmology in the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics at the University of Cambridge. He will remain so in the long term. As part of his research he expects to make annual visits to the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Waterloo, Canada."

Stephen hopes to visit Perimeter Institute regularly, perhaps once a year, but is not considering a permanent move.
http://www.hawking.org.uk/index.php/information/newsandarchive

I've personally met Professor Hawking.:smile: He is one amazing and incrediable man!

magpies said:

How could you possibly replace Stephen Hawking?

Let me get this right. The contemporary world's most renowned scientist is leaving his post in protest over the weaning of his pet interest from the public tit. Is this correct?? I'd thought only children and adolescents had this sense of (what's the word?) righteous charity flowing their way.

Phrak said:
pet interest from the public tit. Is this correct??

Phrak,

First, like I said in my post I was speculating about his talks with the physicists at PI. Second, if you read the article in post #1, Hawking sees the progress of all of Physics (not just his pet interest) in Britain come to a near standstill for lack of funds. PI was founded mostly through private funding, because of the vision and determination of Mike Lazaridis, see http://www.perimeterscholars.org/pi-info.html", and came on-line in 2001.

Have a look at what they are up to: http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/en/News/General/What%27s_New?/"

Rhody...

Phrak said:
Let me get this right. The contemporary world's most renowned scientist is leaving his post in protest over the weaning of his pet interest from the public tit. Is this correct?? I'd thought only children and adolescents had this sense of (what's the word?) righteous charity flowing their way.

"In keeping with university policy, Prof. Hawking retired as the Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at Cambridge University in 2009, the year he turned 67."
http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/News/In_The_Media/Prof._Stephen_Hawking_to_be_officially_welcomed_on_june_20

The above link(url) from Perimeter Institute provides a wealth of information about this topic. Have fun exploring it's website!:smile: A video to the right of the website does note that Hawking interests are in space, time and black holes.

rhody said:
Phrak,

First, like I said in my post I was speculating about his talks with the physicists at PI. Second, if you read the article in post #1, Hawking sees the progress of all of Physics (not just his pet interest) in Britain come to a near standstill for lack of funds.

Rhody...

Rhody as the OP, the article you presented in post #1 is what I consider to be poor news reporting.

I'd like to address your comment Rhody, "Hawking sees the progress of all of Physics (not just his pet interest) in Britain come to a near standstill for lack of funds." Well, there doesn't appear to be a lack of funds at Cambridge University.

May 2010, Issue 12
"Building the Future
Vice-Chancellor Professor Alison Richard on how new buildings and refurbishments across the University are helping research to flourish."
[Please read on . . .]
http://www.research-horizons.cam.ac.uk/spotlight/-p-building-the-future--p-.aspx

and

"May 2010, Issue 12
Probing the Universe: Kavli Institute for Cosmology
Scientists at Cambridge’s Kavli Institute are studying how the Universe developed after the Big Bang by analysing light emitted up to 13.7 billion years ago.

"It may be one of Cambridge’s newest buildings but its historic roots lie in one of the University’s oldest scientific research departments. The £4 million Kavli Institute for Cosmology Cambridge (KICC), opened in 2009, is built just yards from the University Observatory, where astronomical research has been carried out since the early 19th century. In the intervening years, Cambridge has developed an international reputation for ground-breaking discoveries about the origin, evolution and structure of the Universe, thanks to research in the Institute of Astronomy, the Department of Physics’ Cavendish Laboratory and the Department of Applied Maths and Theoretical Physics (DAMTP).

"The driving force for the new Institute was to bring together some of the groups from these departments, as Professor George Efstathiou, Director of KICC, explained: ‘The spread of research across departments owes much to the natural divisions that resulted from the diverse ‘tool boxes’ used to study different areas of cosmology, such as the events following the Big Bang, the birth of stars, the structure of the Universe and so on. Today, though, there are increasing overlaps and it makes sense to integrate research programmes where there is common ground.’

"KICC is now home to 55 scientists, including many graduate students from each department, and is also recruiting a new generation of research scientists: Drs George Becker, Ian McCarthy and Carrie MacTavish are the first Kavli Institute Fellows to be appointed, funded by an endowment from The Kavli Foundation to pursue independent research in Cambridge."
http://www.research-horizons.cam.ac...verse--kavli-institute-for-cosmology--p-.aspx

1. Will Hawking's departure affect the scientific community at Cambridge?

It is possible that Hawking's departure may have some impact on the scientific community at Cambridge, as he is a highly respected and influential figure in the field of physics. However, Cambridge is home to many other talented scientists and the university will continue to thrive and produce groundbreaking research.

2. What is the reason behind Hawking's decision to leave Cambridge?

Hawking has stated that his decision to leave Cambridge is due to budget cuts that have significantly impacted the research facilities and resources available to him. He believes that these cuts will hinder his ability to continue his work and make significant contributions to the field of physics.

3. Where will Hawking be heading to after leaving Cambridge?

Hawking will be joining the faculty at the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Ontario, Canada. This institute is known for its focus on fundamental physics and has state-of-the-art facilities and resources for researchers.

4. How long has Hawking been a part of the Cambridge community?

Hawking has been a part of the Cambridge community for over 50 years, joining as a graduate student in 1962 and becoming a professor in 1979. He has made significant contributions to the university and its scientific community during his time there.

5. Will Hawking's departure have any impact on the funding for scientific research at Cambridge?

It is possible that Hawking's departure may bring attention to the issue of budget cuts and potentially lead to increased funding for scientific research at Cambridge. However, this is not guaranteed and it is ultimately up to the university and government to make decisions about funding.