Vary Band Gap in Graphene Nanoribbon for Transistor Research

• Thread starter vinothr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    graphene
In summary, Vinoth is doing research on varying the band gap in graphene nanoribbons to create transistor-like devices. He is looking for guidance from his friends, and is waiting for a response. The bandgap can be varied by reshaping the edges of the nanoribbon, but he plans to do further research before attempting to fabricate devices.
vinothr
i am vinoth. i am doing research project related to how we can vary the band gap in graphene nanoribbon and use it to form transistor.
now only i started for literature survey related to how we can vary the band gap in graphene nanoribbon.i need some guidance from our friends.i am waiting for your valuable reply.

Physics news on Phys.org
The bandgap is varied by the "chirality" of the edge and the width. There are several techniques available to reshape the edges, look at current conference proceedings Nanotube 2010 in Montreal had quite a bit on reshaping graphene.

http://nt10.org/NT2010_FinalProgram_AbstractBook.pdf

Look through there and follow up on groups that are of interest to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your valuable reply.that conference book useful to my project work. Actually i studied some journal they told band gap is inversely proportional to width of the graphene nanoribbon.but i am not getting idea about how to vary the width of the GNR.
could you explain some techniques to reshape the edges of GNR or please provide some journal related to reshape the edges of GNR.i need the information about electronic stucture of graphene briefly.thanks for your help.

This is by no means an easy or standardized task. Shaping GNR is at the forefront of science. One way is to buy nanotubes at a defined chirality and unzip them. How you place them where you want after that I have no idea. The conference proceeding I posted above had at least one talk about doing it, to my knowledge not yet published.

You should just invent your own method and publish it, at this point that would be some high impact work in the field.

I stand corrected, I have been researching the subject also since I am in a similar field.
Check
Energy Band-Gap Engineering of Graphene Nanoribbons
M. Han et al. PRL 07

Already cited 439 times!

Thanks for your information.I will study that paper energy bandgap engineering of GNR.Actually i plan to simulate GNR based transistor using advanced tool kit software.Thanks to spend some amount of time for me.i can't go upto fabrication level.i plan to do upto simulation level.

Hi everyone,
I need a book about graphene.Can you give me a link for download?I have to calculate it's band structures.
thank you.:smile:

1. What is a graphene nanoribbon?

A graphene nanoribbon is a narrow strip of graphene, a single layer of carbon atoms arranged in a hexagonal lattice, that is less than 50 nanometers in width. It is a two-dimensional material with unique properties that make it useful for a variety of applications, including transistors.

2. How is the band gap of graphene nanoribbons varied?

The band gap of graphene nanoribbons can be varied by changing their width, edge structure, and doping with other elements. For example, a wider nanoribbon will have a larger band gap, while a nanoribbon with zigzag edges will have a smaller band gap compared to one with armchair edges.

3. Why is varying the band gap important for transistor research?

Transistors are electronic devices that control the flow of current in a circuit. By varying the band gap of graphene nanoribbons, researchers can tune their electrical properties and create more efficient and versatile transistors. This can lead to advancements in electronics and computing.

4. What challenges are involved in varying the band gap of graphene nanoribbons?

One challenge is controlling the width and edge structure of the nanoribbons with precision, as even small variations can significantly affect the band gap. Another challenge is finding ways to reliably and uniformly dope the nanoribbons without damaging their structure.

5. What potential applications could result from research on varying the band gap of graphene nanoribbons?

In addition to transistors, varying the band gap of graphene nanoribbons could also lead to advancements in other electronic devices, such as sensors and solar cells. It could also have implications for other fields, such as energy storage, where graphene nanoribbons could be used as electrodes.