Where can I find advanced math books and practice materials for self-study?

In summary, advanced math books and practice materials for self-study can be found in various places such as online bookstores, libraries, and educational websites. These resources offer a wide range of materials for different levels of math proficiency, from basic concepts to complex theories. Additionally, there are also online forums and communities where students can find study guides, practice problems, and discussions with other learners. It is important to carefully choose the materials that align with one's learning goals and abilities to ensure effective self-study.
uoydniheB
I want to advance myself in math so for the past couple months I've been self-studying my school textbooks. So far it's been successful and I've already worked through and completed the Algebra I topics (I'm in 8th grade, shoot me) we're supposed to cover through this school year, and started some Geometry. My main problem started when I noticed that the textbooks are designed in such a way to get schoolkids to think "math is fun" and all that ****, with flashy covers and random pictures of kids blowing bubbles placed on the pages. That led me to question the actual "mathematical content" and I realized that although I could "do" the problems I never felt I got an in-depth understanding of why I was doing the problems that way. I also found this link interesting, http://www.textbookleague.org/103feyn.htm which highlighted the possible flaws in textbooks. I'm not going to debate on the validity of this argument and I'm still going to use the school textbooks but the point is I want something other...

With this in mind, I was hoping someone could help me find some higher-level supplementary material to aid my math studies. I want to ultimately gain a good understanding of geometry, Alg II, Trig, pre-calc, plus maybe something extra and then be ready for a calculus class by 10th grade. (I know this is difficult but I am serious about self-studying) The only book on my reading list so far is Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang, and I am looking of more like that.

I'm also looking for some workbooks with just a lot of problems. I'm seriously dying from the lack of practice problems I can complete in my textbooks. In my Algebra I one there's a great section called "extra practice" which is peachy and all but there aren't any answers in the back of the book! Why would I do extra practice if I can't check my work, if I make a stupid mistake I have no way of knowing... I learn by looking back at my answers and catching myself on what I did wrong. I'm seriously surprised at the lack of such books, on Amazon I've only found one called "The Humongous Book of Algebra Problems" which has the frustrating format of giving the problem and then immediately giving the answer underneath it. I know in Russian you can find a dozen of such books on every topic, problems in front, then answers at back of the book. (I can read Russian but not too well, yes I know numbers are the same but it does matter when it will give certain directions, I'd get confused on what it's asking.) Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place?
-------------
tl;dr version

1. Math books that cover the things school textbooks do + going deeper to gain better understanding (subjects on alg I,II; geometry, trig, precalc)

2. Math practice books for the above topics with a format similar to a bunch of problems listed and then answers in the back of the book.

Also, my school textbooks are "Holt, Rinehard and Winston" around 2007 edition.

Also also, sorry if a thread with such books has been posted before, I haven't found much with the search function

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey uoydniheB, Welcome to PF! :)
Are you looking to purchase your books or find free online books/lectures?

Purchase, but of course if there are online resources for extra work problems (w/answers somewhere) then links would be helpful as well.

Very well. I do not know much about Geometry sources but I will point some out to you when I find some online.

As for Algebra 2, I would suggest buying a College Algebra book (College Algebra is like Algebra 2, just a bit more advanced with harder problems). I have Michael Sullivan's College Algebra 8th Edition and it is a great book with helpful examples. It can be pricey but it's worth your education. Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0132402866/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I came across a free open source Trigonometry book, awhile back. Its free to download but if you want a hard copy, you are going to have to pay $15 I believe. I am sure it will do the job though. Link: http://www.stitz-zeager.com/

As for Pre-Calculus, it is a review of all the math you should have learned prior to Calculus (and will go over some new material as well). I have Michael Sullivan's PreCalculus. Again great book and I highly recommend it. Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0132256886/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Another resource you can use is Khan's Academy. It is a site full of video lectures starting from basic math all the way up to the calculus level math along with other subjects. A great resource if you want to see video lectures. Link: http://www.khanacademy.org/

Have fun in your learning adventure and enjoy your stay here in PF :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Micromass, very useful since most of them are free and I can use them whenever. I've noticed some of the links have things like the origins of certain math topics, that's pretty interesting.

Thanks very much Ivan, Sullivan's college algebra seems to be just the kind of thing I was searching for. (one kind of stupid question, there isn't much of a difference between 8th and 9th edition, right?) I'll start by getting that one and if I like his book I'll get the precalc one.

But if a lot of precalc is review of other topics why is it that my high school requires a full year of precalc before you could take calculus? I believe it also requires algebra II and trig to be taken separately (equaling two years for both) which would put me at kind of a disadvantage unless they allow me to take a test to advance like I'm planning to for geometry...

Well Calculus is a very hard subject. The purpose of Pre-Calculus is to make sure that you are ready for what Calculus will bring to you by reviewing all necessary Algebra and trigonometry. Calculus requires you to be really good in Algebra.

The math itself is the same in all of College Algebra. I really cannot say what the difference is between the two texts. But any should be good to go. If you really care, you can read the reviews of what people put about the book.

I would suggest you look at these, especially since you're just starting high school.

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Store/index.php?

The math is not as "advanced" as a college level textbook, but it makes you think much more and really understand what's going on and how to use the math.

Those books have lots of good practice problems too.

Ivan92 said:
Well Calculus is a very hard subject. The purpose of Pre-Calculus is to make sure that you are ready for what Calculus will bring to you by reviewing all necessary Algebra and trigonometry. Calculus requires you to be really good in Algebra.

The math itself is the same in all of College Algebra. I really cannot say what the difference is between the two texts. But any should be good to go. If you really care, you can read the reviews of what people put about the book.

What if you're not ready for precalculus? Feeling pretty stupid, I checked out precalculus to find it equally confusing.

For the record, don't worry about the edition of any textbook. In fact, the earlier ones are often better.

1. What is the purpose of math books for pre-highschool?

The purpose of math books for pre-highschool is to introduce and reinforce fundamental math concepts and skills that are necessary for success in higher level math courses. These books often cover topics such as basic arithmetic, geometry, algebra, and statistics.

2. Are math books for pre-highschool necessary for academic success?

While there are many ways to learn math, having a structured and comprehensive resource like a math book can be beneficial for students. These books provide a clear and organized way to learn and practice math concepts, and can help students build a strong foundation for future math courses.

3. How do I choose the right math book for my child?

When choosing a math book for your child, it is important to consider their current math skills and learning style. Look for a book that covers the topics your child needs to learn and has clear explanations and practice problems. You may also want to consider asking your child's teacher for recommendations.

4. Can math books for pre-highschool be used for self-study?

Yes, math books for pre-highschool can be a great resource for self-study. These books often include practice problems and exercises for students to work on independently. However, it is always helpful to have a teacher or tutor available for guidance and to answer any questions that may arise.

5. Is it necessary to complete every page in a math book for pre-highschool?

No, it is not necessary to complete every page in a math book for pre-highschool. It is important for students to understand the concepts and be able to solve problems, but they do not need to complete every single exercise. It may be helpful to focus on areas where the student needs more practice or to skip ahead to more challenging topics.