Question About Series-Hybrid Drivetrain Alternator ?

• Thread starter FAlonso
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alternator
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of an alternator in a series hybrid drivetrain acting as a motor at all times except the power stroke, potentially leading to energy waste. It is suggested that this could be due to the alternator drawing energy from the supercapacitor. However, it is also mentioned that this would only result in a small power loss. The type of alternator being used and the effect of throttling down the engine is also discussed.
FAlonso
My friend said he read someone claiming on his blog that in a series hybrid drivetrain consisting of a small engine and an alternator connected by a shaft & belt, the alternator acts as a motor at all times except the power stroke ? I wanted to know if anyone has experimented with this and observed any such phenomena.

The point was raised after our drivetrain was found to be quite inefficient and wasting energy. We run a small 35cc engine to run an alternator (which is basically a modified dc brushless hub motor) that charges the supercapacitor and (reportedly) runs the motors in the wheels too. We see a lot of energy is going into waste and one of the points listed above might be the reason. Comments please !

Engineering news on Phys.org
my gasoline two cycle golf cart uses a generator that double s as a starter motor then works as a generator to charge the battery.
dont think an alternator could do this job

You haven't really posed a question worth answering... A "true" series hybrid would have 3 distinct system components- an IC engine, an alternator/generator, and a motor driving the wheels. An alternator cannot act as a motor in the context you've described.

What I precisely mean to say is that is it possible that alternator might be eating off the energy from supercapacitor ?

FAlonso said:
What I precisely mean to say is that is it possible that alternator might be eating off the energy from supercapacitor ?

I suppose it could in principle, if there wasn't a big enough flywheel on the engine. But it would require the direction of current through the alternator to reverse, and I doubt that would be possible. Maybe check if it draws any current while it's not turning - that would tell you an extreme worst case power loss.

Unrest said:
I suppose it could in principle, if there wasn't a big enough flywheel on the engine. But it would require the direction of current through the alternator to reverse, and I doubt that would be possible. Maybe check if it draws any current while it's not turning - that would tell you an extreme worst case power loss.

OK, that makes more sense of it. You did say small engine series hybrid. This automatically implies there is an energy storage medium somewhere, such as a battery or capacitor.

The sequence of devices is engine, alternator, rectifier to motor to wheels. The battery or supercap is across the motor and can be switched in or out of the circuit.

There's really no reason to drive power back through the alternator using an active bride so that it acts as a motor. It would only go to keep the engine spinning unless it includes a flywheel? No car currently manufactured uses one of these that I know of. Can you post a link to the blog?

Can you tell us what kind of alternator/generator is being used as that can make all the difference. I believe it could happen given there is not enough rotational inertia like mentioned above.

I should add that even if it does occur, the power loss should be tiny because it would come from cycling a small amount of power back and forth between the supercap and the shaft. That would just skim the top off the supercap, which I guess is the most efficiently available energy from it.

If it wasn't for the inefficiencies of the supercap and alternator it would be harmless and equivalent to a flywheel in a normal engine - cycling power back and forth between the flywheel and shaft, which is, of course very efficient.

Also, if it's belt driven, and this is happening, then the tension in the belt will be reversing on every power stroke! That could be bad news for any spring-loaded tensioner.

Topher925 said:
Can you tell us what kind of alternator/generator is being used as that can make all the difference. I believe it could happen given there is not enough rotational inertia like mentioned above.

Using a divining rod I keep for special occasions, I see that when a generator is putting out, say 94 volts into a load of 94 volts, it is moving no net energy. However, every time an armature pole in the generator passes a stator pole, currents are moving in and out of the windings. So the generator is alternately pushing forward then pushed back by the load, each pass. It's no big deal, but could be a source of amusement to someone trying to impress you with their superior understanding. This would have a tiny effect, increasing then decreasing the angular velocity of the engine insignificantly, many times a minute.

An alternator followed by a rectifier wouldn't do this.

However, what if you tried to throttle down the engine? A generator would act as a motor to try to keep the engine at the same angular speed. A blocking diode would stop this action. Dropping the voltage on the field windings would do this as well. I'm sure Toyota and the rest are already aware of this (understatement).

Last edited:

What is a series-hybrid drivetrain alternator?

A series-hybrid drivetrain alternator is a type of powertrain system where an electric motor is the primary source of power for the vehicle, and an internal combustion engine is used as a generator to charge the batteries that power the electric motor.

How does a series-hybrid drivetrain alternator work?

In a series-hybrid drivetrain alternator, the electric motor is connected to the wheels and provides the majority of the power for the vehicle. The internal combustion engine is connected to the electric motor and is used to charge the batteries when they are low on power. This allows for greater efficiency and reduces emissions.

What are the advantages of a series-hybrid drivetrain alternator?

One of the main advantages of a series-hybrid drivetrain alternator is its high efficiency. The electric motor is able to run at its most efficient speed, while the internal combustion engine can run at a constant speed, optimizing its efficiency. This leads to lower fuel consumption and reduced emissions.

What are the disadvantages of a series-hybrid drivetrain alternator?

One potential disadvantage of a series-hybrid drivetrain alternator is the added weight and complexity of having both an electric motor and an internal combustion engine. This can also lead to higher costs for the vehicle. Additionally, the reliance on the internal combustion engine for charging the batteries means that the vehicle may not be entirely emissions-free.

What types of vehicles use a series-hybrid drivetrain alternator?

Series-hybrid drivetrain alternators are commonly used in hybrid electric buses and trucks. They are also becoming more popular in passenger vehicles, particularly in plug-in hybrid electric vehicles. Some examples of vehicles that use this technology include the Toyota Prius Prime and the Chevrolet Volt.