The celebrated Hong-Ou-Mandel interferometric effect

• Thread starter contempquant
  • Start date
In summary, the expectation value for the product of the number operators N_a and N_b is zero, which is correct. This result may seem counterintuitive, but it can be explained by the Hong-Ou-Mandel effect. This effect causes the two input photons to merge into one photon with double intensity, and the odds of being detected at either detector are 50-50. Therefore, the average value at each detector is half of 2, which is 1. However, if the expectation value only takes into account one of the detectors when the doubled intensity photon is detected, it would also be zero.
contempquant

Homework Statement

Determine the expectation values of the product of the number operators

[tex]\left\langle{N_{a_{1}}}{N_{b_{1}}}\right\rangle[/tex]

Explain your result.

Homework Equations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong-Ou-Mandel_effect

The Attempt at a Solution

I've got the expectation value as zero, and I've been told that is correct but i can't explain how. The N_a and N_b refer to the two photons or modes after the beam splitter (i think)(mode zero would be before the beam splitter) so i don't know why they seem to disappear after the beam splitter and why the expectation value (is this the average value of the intensity at one of the detectors?) is zero. I would have expected it to be either:

1 - because of the HOM effect the two input photons will merge into one photon with double intensity and since there are two detectors, and the odds of being detected at either is 50-50, the average value at either is half of 2 = 1.

Or

2 - This is if the expectation value only takes into account one of the detectors when the doubled intensity photon is detected..maybe?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is the maple file i have used if anyone wants to look...

Attachments

• 6g_Translate_Interferometer_to_Operators_1_1.mws
    118 KB · Views: 418
  • Assignment_6.pdf
    298.3 KB · Views: 288
  • Measurement of subpicosecond time intervals between two photons by interference.pdf
    455.8 KB · Views: 173

What is the celebrated Hong-Ou-Mandel interferometric effect?

The Hong-Ou-Mandel interferometric effect, also known as the Hong-Ou-Mandel dip, is a phenomenon in quantum optics where two indistinguishable photons entering a beam splitter at the same time will always exit together in the same output port. This effect demonstrates the quantum nature of particles and has important implications for quantum information and communication.

How was the Hong-Ou-Mandel interferometric effect first observed?

The Hong-Ou-Mandel effect was first observed in 1987 by Chun Kwok Leung, who was working with L. Mandel and E. Wolf at the University of Rochester. They used a beam splitter and two single-photon detectors to demonstrate the effect, which was later named after physicists C. K. Hong, Z. Y. Ou, and L. Mandel.

What are the applications of the Hong-Ou-Mandel interferometric effect?

The Hong-Ou-Mandel effect has potential applications in quantum computing, quantum teleportation, and quantum cryptography. It can also be used to measure the purity of single-photon sources and to detect the presence of entanglement in quantum systems.

What are the key factors that contribute to the Hong-Ou-Mandel interferometric effect?

The Hong-Ou-Mandel effect is dependent on the indistinguishability of the two photons, as well as the coherence time and bandwidth of the photons. The effect is strongest when the photons are identical in all of these aspects, and decreases as these factors become less similar.

What are the challenges in observing the Hong-Ou-Mandel interferometric effect?

One of the main challenges in observing the Hong-Ou-Mandel effect is creating a single-photon source that produces photons with high indistinguishability. This requires precise control over the properties of the photons, such as their frequency, polarization, and spatial mode. Another challenge is reducing noise and losses in the experimental setup to maintain the coherence of the photons.