Heat Transfer in a heat exchanger.

In summary: There was no need to start a new thread for this.I am an expert summarizer of content, and in summary, a 20GPM, 150Degree F, 40PSIG water will enter a double tube simple heat exchanger through a 1" diameter pipe. Chilled water at 40 Degrees F, with a pressure of 110PSIG and a flow of 270GPM, will be used to cool the original solution from 150 degrees to 80 degrees, exiting through a 1.5" line. The external vessel of the exchanger must be made of 316 stainless steel and the piping or tubing can be of any appropriate material as long as it is schedule 40. The heat transfer
de312
So this concept is confusing me.

You have a 20GPM, 150Degree F, 40PSIG water coming into a heat exchanger through a 1" diameter pipe.

Chilled water is available for cooling from a 6" diameter line at 40 Degrees F, With a pressure of 110PSIG and a flow of 270GPM.

The original solution needs to be cooled from 150 degrees to 80 degrees exiting in a 1.5" line.

1. The external vessel of the exchanger needs to be 316 stainless steel, any piping or tubing may be of any appropiate material as long as it is schedule 40.
  2. What would be the overall heat transfer coefficient. What would be the hoop stress with a safety factor of 2.0.
  3. Estimate chilled water flow requirements.
  4. What would be the size of the shell, and how many tubes and their size would be required to properly cool the liquid.

This is confusing me ~.~

Physics news on Phys.org

You have a 20GPM, 150Degree F, 40PSIG water coming into a heat exchanger through a 1" diameter pipe.

Chilled water is available for cooling from a 6" diameter line at 40 Degrees F, With a pressure of 110PSIG and a flow of 270GPM.

The original solution needs to be cooled from 150 degrees to 80 degrees exiting in a 1.5" line.

1. The external vessel of the exchanger needs to be 316 stainless steel, any piping or tubing may be of any appropiate material as long as it is schedule 40.
  2. What would be the overall heat transfer coefficient. What would be the hoop stress with a safety factor of 2.0.
  4. What would be the size of the shell, and how many tubes and their size would be required to properly cool the liquid.

This is confusing me ~.~

This is confusing me ~.~

I would first ask which questions do you understand and which ones are confusing?

Much can be said about these topics - good to know where to start.

I wanted to try and clarify this. If it is just a double tube simple heat exchanger like this shown here.

http://i56.tinypic.com/34znmti.png

*What is the calculation to calculate the heat transfer coefficient.
*How much surface area would be required between the two pipes for the solution to cool from 150 degrees to 80 degrees.

I wanted to try and clarify this. If it is just a double tube simple heat exchanger like this shown here.

*How much surface area would be required between the two pipes for the solution to cool from 150 degrees to 80 degrees.

For the value of U, I believe you need to use the fact that

[tex] \frac{1}{U} = \frac{1}{h_o} + \frac{1}{h_i}[/tex]

where ho is the outer heat transfer coefficient and hi is the inner heat transfer coefficient.

so essentially

[tex] \frac{1}{U} = \frac{1}{h_{cold}} + \frac{1}{h_{hot}}[/tex]

yes it is just like that in your diagram. You would need to look up how pressure and diameter relates to stress for the hoop stress.

For the chilled water requirements, you will just need a simple heat balance on the system.

Please do not duplicate posts.

de312 said:

This is confusing me ~.~

Multiple threads merged. Please do not multiple/duplicate post again on the PF.

1. What is heat transfer in a heat exchanger?

Heat transfer in a heat exchanger is the process of transferring thermal energy from one fluid to another, without the fluids coming into direct contact with each other. This is typically achieved through the use of a series of tubes or plates, allowing for efficient heat exchange between the two fluids.

2. How does a heat exchanger work?

A heat exchanger works by having two separate fluid streams flowing through it, with one stream being heated and the other being cooled. The two fluids are kept separate by a barrier, such as tubes or plates, but are in close enough proximity to allow for efficient heat transfer between them.

3. What are the types of heat exchangers?

There are several types of heat exchangers, including shell and tube, plate and frame, and spiral heat exchangers. Each type has its own design and is suitable for different applications, but they all work on the same principle of transferring heat between two fluids.

4. What factors affect the efficiency of a heat exchanger?

The efficiency of a heat exchanger can be affected by factors such as the design and size of the exchanger, the flow rate and temperature of the fluids, and the type of fluids being used. Additionally, factors like fouling and corrosion can also impact the efficiency of a heat exchanger over time.

5. How is the performance of a heat exchanger measured?

The performance of a heat exchanger is measured by its effectiveness, which is the ratio of the actual heat transfer that occurs to the maximum possible heat transfer. This can be calculated using the inlet and outlet temperatures of the two fluids, as well as their flow rates and specific heat capacities.