Solve Cauchy Problem for PDE: exp(-x)dz/dx+{y^2}dz/dy=exp(x)yz

• Thread starter finmaths123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cauchy Pde
In summary: Thanks for responding.In summary, the poster is trying to solve an equation for a general solution and is having trouble. They have tried a few methods but are not successful. They would like to see the problem worked through.
finmaths123
Hi guys tryin to study for a pde exam and cannot solve this question

Find a general solution of the equation

exp(-x)dz/dx+{/y(squared)}dz/dy=exp(x)yz

(ii) Solve the Cauchy problem, i.e. find the integral surface of this equation
passing through the curve .
y = ex/3 , z = e .
Calculate the partial derivatives of the solution z(x, y) of the Cauchy problem you found and show that it satisfies the partial differential equation.

Help would be greatly appreachated

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no excuse for not showing some work to a problem like this. The first step is understanding what type of PDE you're actually dealing with. You can also try thinking of general methods such as "method of characteristics" or "fourier transform" (one of these may be helpful here).

snipez90 said:
There is no excuse for not showing some work to a problem like this. The first step is understanding what type of PDE you're actually dealing with. You can also try thinking of general methods such as "method of characteristics" or "fourier transform" (one of these may be helpful here).

You can't cut him a break snipez? It's just his first post and my understanding is that only in the homework forums are you explicitly required to show work. I'm pretty forgiving and would at least have led him on by just starting the conversation such as, "what happens when you set up the characteristic equation:"

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=y^2 e^x[/tex]

Personally, I'd like to see the problem worked through. I tried finding the particular solution but could not do it. But it's not my thread so I'm explicitly not asking anyone to help me. But you guys could go easy on this new guy and help him a little. :)

Last edited:
You can use the method of characteristics to get a set of ODEs
[tex]
\dot{x}=e^{-x}, \quad\dot{y}=\frac{1}{y^{2}}, \quad\dot{z}=e^{x}y
[/tex]
You have to think about some initial conditions for this, can you suggest something?

hunt_mat said:
You can use the method of characteristics to get a set of ODEs
[tex]
\dot{x}=e^{-x}, \quad\dot{y}=\frac{1}{y^{2}}, \quad\dot{z}=e^{x}y
[/tex]
You have to think about some initial conditions for this, can you suggest something?

Thanks, didn't think to solve it parametrically although the text I have used two parameters. Also, I think there is some ambiguity in how the PDE was originally written. For the results here, I used:

[tex]e^{-x}u_x+\frac{1}{y^2}u_y-e^{x}yu=0;\quad u(x,ex/3)=e[/tex]

and obtained:

[tex]x(s,t)=ln(t+e^s)[/tex]

[tex]y(s,t)=\sqrt[3]{t+1/3\left(\frac{es}{3}\right)^3}[/tex]

[tex]u(s,t)=\frac{e}{\text{exp}\left\{-\int_{0}^t e^{x(s,v)}y(s,v)dv\right\}}[/tex]

Also, using the two-parameter approach, the last DE of the set is:

[tex]\frac{du}{dt}=e^x y u[/tex]

I can compare those to a NDSolve of the equations in Mathematica and they do seem to agree:

Code:
Clear[x, y, s, t, u]

mysol = NDSolve[{D[x[s, t], t] == Exp[-x[s, t]], 
    D[y[s, t], t] == 1/y[s, t]^2, 
    D[u[s, t], t] == Exp[x[s, t]]*y[s, t]*u[s, t], 
    x[s, 0.001] == s, y[s, 0.001] == E*(s/3), 
    u[s, 0.001] == E}, {x, y, u}, {t, 0.001, 1}, 
   {s, 0.01, 1}]

But I see no way to directly back-substitute the partials back into the PDE and check it directly.

Last edited:
My reply probably came off harsher than I intended it. But my understanding is that if there is a homework type question, it shouldn't be here. From the context of the OP, I gathered this was a homework problem (even though it only has to be a homework "type" problem).

Although the solution presented by Jackmell is technically correct, it is not particularly nice. As Snipez90 pointed out this looks to be rather a book like question and book like questions tend to have nice answers, so I think that we should get the poster to clarify the coefficient of [itex]\partial_{y}u[/itex] because the solution is much nicer for the coefficient to be [itex]y^{2}[/itex] than [itex]y^{-2}[/itex]. Either that or we are missing a trick somewhere.

1. How do you solve a Cauchy problem for a PDE?

To solve a Cauchy problem for a PDE, you need to find a solution that satisfies both the given equation and the given initial conditions. This can be done by using various techniques such as separation of variables, method of characteristics, or transforming the PDE into a system of ordinary differential equations.

2. What is a Cauchy problem?

A Cauchy problem is a type of initial value problem where the solution to a partial differential equation (PDE) is sought at a specific point in the domain, rather than on the entire boundary. It is named after the French mathematician Augustin-Louis Cauchy.

3. What is the PDE in this specific Cauchy problem?

The PDE in this Cauchy problem is exp(-x)dz/dx+{y^2}dz/dy=exp(x)yz. This is a first-order linear partial differential equation with two independent variables, x and y, and one dependent variable, z.

4. What are the initial conditions in this Cauchy problem?

The given initial conditions for this Cauchy problem are not mentioned, but they would typically be given as values of the dependent variable z at a specific point in the domain, such as z(x0, y0) = z0.

5. What are some common techniques for solving PDEs?

Some common techniques for solving PDEs include separation of variables, method of characteristics, Laplace transform, and Fourier transform. These techniques can be applied to different types of PDEs, such as linear and nonlinear equations, and can also be used in combination with each other for more complex problems.