Multi-Variable Calculus: Linear Combination of Vectors

In summary, the problem is asking to find scalars a and b such that the vector u can be expressed as a linear combination of the vectors v and w. By computing the given vectors and setting up the equations, we find that a = 3/2 and b = 1/2. This means that u = (3/2)v + (1/2)w, as verified by the person asking the question.
Dembadon
Gold Member
I would like to check my work with you all. :smile:

Homework Statement

Let
[itex]\vec{u} = 2\vec{i}+\vec{j}[/itex],
[itex]\vec{v} = \vec{i}+\vec{j}[/itex], and
[itex]\vec{w} = \vec{i}-\vec{j}[/itex].

Find scalars a and b such that [itex]\vec{u} =[/itex] a[itex]\vec{v}+[/itex] b[itex]\vec{w}[/itex].

Homework Equations

Standard Unit Vectors:

[itex]\vec{i} = <1,0>[/itex].
[itex]\vec{j} = <0,1>[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Compute vectors:

[itex]\vec{u} = 2<1,0>+<0,1>=<2,1>[/itex].
[itex]\vec{v} = <1,0>+<0,1>=<1,1>[/itex].
[itex]\vec{w} = <1,0>-<0,1>=<1,-1>[/itex].

Setup Scalars:

[itex]<2,1> = a<1,1>+b<1,-1>[/itex].
[itex]<2,1> = <a,a>+<b,-b>[/itex].
[itex]<2,1> = <a+b,a-b>[/itex].

Find Scalars:

[itex]a+b = 2[/itex].
[itex]a-b = 1[/itex].

Thus, a = 3/2 and b = 1/2.

Final answer:

[itex]\vec{u} = \frac{3}{2}\vec{v}+\frac{1}{2}\vec{w}[/itex].

Note: Sorry my vector arrows aren't lining-up very well. :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
Certainly correct that (3/2)v+(1/2)*w=u. No question, you are just checking?

Dick said:
Certainly correct that (3/2)v+(1/2)*w=u. No question, you are just checking?

Yes, just checking my work. Thank you for verifying. :smile:

1. What is a linear combination of vectors?

A linear combination of vectors is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying each vector in a set by a constant, and then adding the resulting vectors together. The constants are typically referred to as scalars, and the resulting vector is called the linear combination.

2. How do you compute a linear combination of vectors?

To compute a linear combination of vectors, you first multiply each vector in the set by a scalar. Then, you add all of the resulting vectors together to get the final linear combination. For example, if we have vectors a, b, and c and scalars x, y, and z, the linear combination would be calculated as ax + by + cz.

3. What is the significance of a linear combination of vectors in multi-variable calculus?

A linear combination of vectors is an important concept in multi-variable calculus because it allows us to represent any vector in a vector space using a combination of basis vectors. This is useful in solving problems involving vector algebra, optimization, and linear transformations.

4. How do you determine if a vector is a linear combination of other vectors?

If a given vector can be expressed as a linear combination of other vectors, then it lies in the span of those vectors. To determine if a vector is a linear combination of other vectors, you can use the method of Gaussian elimination to solve a system of linear equations. If the system has a unique solution, then the vector is a linear combination of the other vectors.

5. Can a linear combination of vectors be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, linear combinations of vectors can be used to solve a variety of real-world problems. For example, they are commonly used in physics to represent forces and in economics to model production and consumption. They can also be used in machine learning and data analysis to find patterns and relationships in data sets.