Nonzero divisor in a quotient ring

In summary, to prove that x is a nonzero divisor in C[x,y,z,w]/<yz-xw>, we can use the technique of induction on the x-degree of an element in the ring. This allows us to show that any product involving x cannot be in the ideal <yz-xw> unless the other factor is 0, proving that x is indeed a nonzero divisor.
naturemath
How do you show that x is a nonzero divisor in C[x,y,z,w]/<yz-xw>?

Here's how one can start off on this problem but I would like a nice way to finish it:

If x were a zero divisor, then there is a function f not in <yz-xw> so that

f*x = g*(yz-xw).Here's another question which is slightly more interesting:

prove that x is a nonzero divisor in C[x,y,z,w]/<yw-z^2, yz-xw>.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
naturemath said:
How do you show that x is a nonzero divisor in C[x,y,z,w]/<yz-xw>?

Do you mean to prove that the coset of x is NOT a zero divisor in that quotient ring?

Putting [itex]\,\,I:=<yz-xw>\,\,[/itex], suppose [itex]\,\,(x+I)(f+I)=\overline{0}\Longrightarrow xf\in I[/itex] , but any element in the

ideal I has the form [itex]\,\,g(x,y,z,w)(yz-xw)\Longrightarrow \,\,[/itex] x cannot be factored out in this product if [itex]\,\,g(x,y,z,w)\neq 0\,\,[/itex] (you may

try to prove this by induction on the x-degree of g), and then it can't be [itex]\,\,xf\in I\,\,[/itex] unless [itex]\,\,f=0\,\,[/itex]

DonAntonio

Wow, you are fast...

What do you mean by "x-degree of g"? Does g have to be homogeneous?

Wouldn't g equal

[itex]\sum[/itex] a_I x^i y^j z^k w^l

where I = (i,j,k,l) ?

How would one induct on the degree of x? It seems quite messy.

naturemath said:
Wouldn't g equal

[itex]\sum[/itex] a_I x^i y^j z^k w^l

where I = (i,j,k,l) ?

How would one induct on the degree of x? It seems quite messy.

Didn't say it'd be easy...:) . But it is: we can always write as follows an element in that ring [tex]f\in\mathbb{C}[x,y,z,w]\Longrightarrow f=a_0+a_1x+a_2x^2+...+a_nx^n\,\,,\,\,a_n\in\mathbb{C}[y,z,w]\,\,,\,\,so\,\,deg_x(f)=n[/tex]

DonAntonio

Thank you. I spent earlier today reading about this technique. =)

1. What is a nonzero divisor in a quotient ring?

A nonzero divisor in a quotient ring is an element that, when multiplied by any other element in the ring, does not result in the zero element. In other words, it is a nonzero element that does not have a multiplicative inverse in the quotient ring.

2. How is a nonzero divisor different from a unit in a quotient ring?

A unit in a quotient ring is an element that has a multiplicative inverse in the ring, meaning it can be multiplied by another element to result in the identity element. A nonzero divisor, on the other hand, does not have a multiplicative inverse and therefore cannot be used to obtain the identity element.

3. Why is the concept of nonzero divisor important in quotient rings?

The concept of nonzero divisor is important because it helps us understand the structure of quotient rings and identify which elements are invertible. It also plays a crucial role in determining whether a quotient ring is an integral domain or not.

4. Can a nonzero divisor be a zero divisor in a quotient ring?

No, by definition, a nonzero divisor cannot be a zero divisor in a quotient ring. This is because a zero divisor is an element that, when multiplied by another element, results in the zero element. Since a nonzero divisor cannot produce the zero element, it cannot be a zero divisor.

5. How can the presence of nonzero divisors affect the properties of a quotient ring?

The presence of nonzero divisors can affect the properties of a quotient ring in several ways. For example, if there are nonzero divisors in a quotient ring, it cannot be an integral domain. It can also affect the prime and maximal ideals in the ring, as well as the existence of units and zero divisors.