Chamber design (mufflers). I'm stuck,

In summary: Do you have any idea how much this will cost?In summary, the lonesome is working on a set of mufflers that does not sound like fecal matter. He is having a difficult time finding just the mufflers, but he does have the capability of fabing them up himself. He does not want the mufflers to have those two little connections keeping them together, so he will be making this a side exit muffler. He is trying to avoid the high frequency sound of the american v8s. He is looking for the highest frequency/note/tone/pitch he can get. He loves the higher, crisper, cleaner sound the euroapean v8 makes, and he hates the rumble
faytmorgan
my lonesome have been working on a set of mufflers that don't sound like fecal matter. I am having a difficult time finding just the mufflers (race mufflers). I DO NOT want an entire exhaust system. I do have the capability of fabing up mufflers, I have custom made equal length headers to an x pipe thus far. I DO NOT want the mufflers to have those two little connections keeping them together. I will be making this a side exit.

The motor is a carbed 5.5 lt small journal sbc. Should be able to make power to 7800 or so rpm.

I am looking for the highest frequency/note/tone/pitch I can get. I very much enjoy the higher, crisper, cleaner sound the euroapean v8 makes. I hate with a passion the rumble of the harley/dumptruck American v8. I have heard flowmasters on these cars. I don't know if it was the particular flowmaster series or what. But that m3 was a dumptruck. I am trying to avoid that.

Sounds like a chevy small block doing a dyno pull to me...
htt p: //w ww.youtu be. com/watch?v=Y-mGGf5Ncx8

h ttp://ww w.yout ube. com/watch?v=5BhxWH9Dg_M]BMW E92 M3 Eisenmann race exhaust - YouTube[/url]

amazing high frequency sound
htt p://w ww.youtube.co m/watch?v=SbT0IqFIfnc]iPE Innotech E92 M3 Evolution Valvetronic Exhaust System F1 Sound - YouTub

h ttp://www.y outube.com/watch?v=n_n8HiJzA6A]BMW M3 iPe Valvetronic Exhaust Sound (Drive By, Downshift, Rev) - You Tube

Here is a cutaway of a corsa muffler.

ht tp://s805.b eta.photobucket.co m/user/Phastek/media/March%202010%20Show/Corsa1.jpg.html?filters[term]=recent&filters[primary] =images

I am rather sure that the chambers in the muffler can be designed as such to reflect frequencies to cancel out the unwanted frequencies. I just can't find the math anywhere to determine the dimensions of the chambers.

I am working with 17.9 inch long primary tubes that are 1 and 5/8 in diameter, they go into a 2.5 inch collector, that then goes into a 3 inch x pipe, that will then go directly to the side exit mufflers. I am keeping it as short as possible to help retain the sound I am after.

This is what I am avoiding.
htt p://ww w.youtube.c om/watch?v=klmAQFh1l-E]Magnaflow Exhaust on a Chevy Truck - YouTube

Same motor different car different mufflers...
http://w [Broken] ww.youtube.com/watch?v=IVWZMKMmjMQ

So does anyone know how to design the muffler to achieve this? Or designing a resonator to do this? Or simply the chambers inside the muffler to do this?

I am so stuck. Also I don't think a helmholts resonator of any kind will do the trick. that would only cancel out the freq. I think this is more like a musical instrument where the sound entering is not going to be the sound at the bell of the horn coming out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
do you have the engine running? About the only way to " tune " the exhasut to a particular freq. is to fabricate a muffler/resonator that can be adjustable length and experiment. By shortening or lengthening th baffle arrangment to housing length you should be able to find the note you want.

1. What is the purpose of a muffler in a chamber design?

The main purpose of a muffler in a chamber design is to reduce the noise produced by the engine. It does this by bouncing the sound waves around and through a series of chambers and perforated tubes, which dissipate the sound energy.

2. How does a muffler affect engine performance in a chamber design?

A muffler can affect engine performance by restricting the flow of exhaust gases, which can decrease horsepower and torque. However, some muffler designs use advanced technology to minimize this restriction and actually improve performance.

3. Are there different types of mufflers used in chamber designs?

Yes, there are several types of mufflers used in chamber designs, including straight-through, chambered, and turbo-style mufflers. Each type has its own unique design and performance characteristics.

4. Can a muffler be replaced with a straight pipe in a chamber design?

Technically, yes, a muffler can be replaced with a straight pipe in a chamber design. However, this is not recommended as it can significantly increase the noise level and may also negatively impact engine performance.

5. How often should a muffler be replaced in a chamber design?

The lifespan of a muffler in a chamber design can vary depending on various factors such as driving habits, climate, and type of muffler. As a general rule, a muffler should be replaced every 50,000 to 100,000 miles to ensure optimal performance and noise reduction.