Color Organ Filters: Bass/Mid/Treble Cutoff Freqs

In summary, color organ filters are electronic devices that separate audio signals into different frequency ranges, such as bass, mid, and treble. These filters have adjustable cutoff frequencies that allow users to control the amount of each frequency that is passed through. This can be used in color organs, which are light displays that respond to music, to create different visual effects based on the different frequency ranges. By adjusting the cutoff frequencies, users can customize the light display to match the music being played.
jav276
So I am making a color organ using my ipod, speakers, splitter, butterworth filters with gain for three separate frequencies. I want to have a low, mid, and high but I have no idea what the cutoff frequencies for each should be. I know we hear something like a band of 200 Hz to 20 kHz but I am totally not sure at all if that would be reasonable to filter an audio signal to separate bass, treble, and mid sounds. So my question is what cutoff frequencies should i use to adequately filter bass, mid, and treble with each of the three filters I am designing?

Engineering news on Phys.org
jav276 said:
So I am making a color organ using my ipod, speakers, splitter, butterworth filters with gain for three separate frequencies. I want to have a low, mid, and high but I have no idea what the cutoff frequencies for each should be. I know we hear something like a band of 200 Hz to 20 kHz but I am totally not sure at all if that would be reasonable to filter an audio signal to separate bass, treble, and mid sounds. So my question is what cutoff frequencies should i use to adequately filter bass, mid, and treble with each of the three filters I am designing?

You might want to take a look at this vintage article from the 60's:

"Musette" color organ

I'd probably suggest something like

Bass range: 0 - 120 Hz
Mid range: 120 Hz - 5 kHz*
Treble range: 5* - 20 kHz

* EDIT: On a second thought, I had some doubts; 5 kHz might be too high, maybe 3 or 4 kHz would be better, I'm not sure, I've never built any light organ. But I've done a lot of audio processing and I've built various audiohardware, so I'm probably not completely off :biggrin:.

The human hearing range is about 20 Hz - 20 kHz (not 200 Hz - 20 kHz) and with some individual variations. You can also google for "instrument frequency chart"; such charts can be helpful. I'm posting an example of such a chart here:

2024_FreqGraph.gif

Last edited:
An interesting way to play with it is to install a graphic equalizer app and play with the frequency ranges. You can sort of try to visualize sound vs light. Has drawbacks, but helps you to understand the frequency characteristics of the stuff you listen to.

have you tried this tone generator ? It only goes to about 2khz, but gives a feel for how much of what we hear is below that.

http://www.seventhstring.com/tuningfork/tuningfork.html

meBigGuy said:
An interesting way to play with it is to install a graphic equalizer app and play with the frequency ranges. You can sort of try to visualize sound vs light. Has drawbacks, but helps you to understand the frequency characteristics of the stuff you listen to.

That is an excellent suggestion. :thumbs:

EDIT: try an equalizer which shows the spectrum, like e.g.:

graphic-eq.jpg

(I will give you some suggestions on free software, got to check my resources, I'll be back soon...)

Last edited:
Some software suggestions:

1. In the http://www.winamp.com/media-player, there is a built-in equalizer and a spectrum (but the spectrum window is pretty small, though).
  2. Free spectrum analyzers can be found here.
  3. Free equalizers can be found here.
Regarding point 2 and 3 I'm not sure if the list contains only VST plugins (which need an audio software host) or also includes stand-alone software. I would personally try this: Voxengo SPAN (it's a free plugin). I haven't tried that particular plugin, but I have tried other Voxengo software, and they are pretty good.

Maybe someone else here has a suggestion on a stand-alone equalizer/spectrum analyzer.

Winamp is OK because you can change it while listening. The spectrum window sucks though (shows clipping when there is none, and it always shows the input spectrum, not the results after EQ.)

Third octave equalizers are the best since the position of the sliders are a good representation of the actual frequency response. The final curves with winamp won't really be the slider positions (close enough for getting a feel though)

those are some awesome suggestions. thank you very much

What is a color organ filter?

A color organ filter is a type of electronic filter that is used to divide an audio signal into three frequency ranges - bass, mid, and treble. It is commonly used in music production and live performances to control the cutoff frequencies of each frequency range, allowing for more precise and dynamic control over the sound.

How does a color organ filter work?

A color organ filter works by using electronic components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors to selectively pass or block certain frequencies in an audio signal. The bass, mid, and treble frequencies are each sent through their own filter circuit, allowing the user to adjust the cutoff frequency for each range individually.

What is the purpose of a color organ filter?

The purpose of a color organ filter is to provide more control over the tone and sound quality of an audio signal. By adjusting the cutoff frequencies of the bass, mid, and treble ranges, the user can shape the sound to their desired preference and create a more dynamic and balanced mix.

What are the benefits of using a color organ filter?

Using a color organ filter can enhance the overall sound quality of an audio signal by allowing for more precise control over the frequency ranges. It can also help to eliminate unwanted frequencies, improve the clarity of different instruments, and add depth and texture to the sound.

Are there different types of color organ filters?

Yes, there are different types of color organ filters available, including passive and active filters. Passive filters use only passive electronic components, while active filters also use active components such as transistors or operational amplifiers. There are also digital color organ filters, which use digital signal processing techniques to control the frequencies.