Hi,a question regarding Fourier transform and energy of a signals

In summary, the expert seems to be struggling with understanding concepts and has difficulty solving questions. She needs help understanding the material and finding easier ways to approach the problems.
berdan
Somehow I have really hard time wrapping my head around the concept.I mean,I get it,but I can't seem to solve any questions regarding it.

Here are some examples ,and I just get stuck.Its a part of test,so I think it shouldn't be that hard to solve,and if it looks hard,I know there are some tricks but I just don't know them.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/27/3ght.jpg/

1)Need to find energy of a signal (why not power,and only energy)?

2)Need to find energy and power of signal,and the third is the same.

So,I know that energy of decaying signals is just integral of squared of the function over time.
But that is one nasty integral,and as it is from exam,I understand there should be something trick that makes it more tolerable to solve.
Now I know that it is possible using Parsevel theorem to do the same integral in frequency domain,and some time it is easier,but how do I transform that function ? (I think we can use some ready transformation tables).

2 and 3,I'm just lost.I know I need to find some coeficients ,square them and sum them up,to get the power.How on Earth I find them?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
1) if the energy is finite then you can find it; else you must work with power, the rate of energy flow.

Parseval's theorem has several corollaries which should be in your textbook or course notes, based on convolutions.

Here are some applicable notes: http://ocw.usu.edu/electrical_and_computer_engineering/signals_and_systems/5_10node10.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok,so I understood how to solve first one using Parseval theorem - I transformed the signal from time to w using "usefull transformation" formula page .
Second one : I did integral from 0-8 seconds to find the energy.Which is just (2^2)*2+(1^2)*1=9
The power is just energy divided by its period time = 9/8 ?

Thanks.

1. What is a Fourier transform?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical tool used to decompose a signal into its individual frequency components. It represents a signal in the frequency domain, where the amplitude and phase of each frequency component can be analyzed.

2. How does a Fourier transform relate to energy of a signal?

The energy of a signal can be calculated using the Fourier transform. The total energy of a signal is equal to the sum of the squared magnitudes of all the frequency components in the signal's spectrum.

3. What is the difference between the Fourier transform and the inverse Fourier transform?

The Fourier transform converts a signal from the time domain to the frequency domain, while the inverse Fourier transform converts it back from the frequency domain to the time domain. The Fourier transform is used for signal analysis, while the inverse Fourier transform is used for signal synthesis.

4. Can the Fourier transform be applied to both continuous and discrete signals?

Yes, the Fourier transform can be applied to both continuous and discrete signals. However, the equations and calculations differ slightly for each type of signal.

5. How is the Fourier transform used in practical applications?

The Fourier transform has many practical applications, such as signal processing, image and sound compression, and filtering. It is also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics for data analysis and modeling.