Forget the chicken and it's egg

• Thread starter sameandnot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Egg
In summary: Let's focus on the topic at hand, which is whether organisms or consciousness came first.In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between organisms and consciousness, questioning which one came first. The argument presents the idea that evolution can explain the origin of organisms, but the origin of consciousness is still unclear. Some argue that consciousness is a characteristic of organisms, while others believe that consciousness itself evolved in stages of complexity. However, there is a suggestion that both organisms and consciousness evolved simultaneously along parallel paths. Ultimately, the concept of consciousness is defined as a responsive awareness to one's environment.
sameandnot
what came first? organisms or consciousness?

this argument is a little different than the "chicken or the egg" bit...
we get around the "chicken or the egg" by recognizing evolution.

but, let's go back a little farther...

is consciousness a characterisitc of organisms? or are organisms a characteristics of consciousness?

Physics news on Phys.org
sameandnot said:
this argument is a little different than the "chicken or the egg" bit...
we get around the "chicken or the egg" by recognizing evolution.
but, let's go back a little farther...
is consciousness a characterisitc of organisms? or are organisms a characteristics of consciousness?

Attributing consciousness to lower organisms (let's define premammal to be lower) tends to rob the word of its usual meaning. If a bee is conscious then so, in my opinion, is a thermostat.

sameandnot said:
Neither, Existence came first. A non-existent organism or consciousness as a first cause-effect is a condradiction of terms. Before a thing can be a prime cause, it first must exist. The Primacy of Existence is an axiom upon which all further thinking (philosophy) must be developed.

Interesting question. Is there anything to suggest they didn't evolve equally along parallel paths? In other words, organisms evolved and thus the increase in consciousness was equal to the increase in complexity of the organism.

Q_Goest said:
Interesting question. Is there anything to suggest they didn't evolve equally along parallel paths? In other words, organisms evolved and thus the increase in consciousness was equal to the increase in complexity of the organism.
Consciousness evolves much as life itself; in stages of complexity. If we describe consciousness as awareness then this implies sensory organs and perception, (something to be aware of and something to be aware with), therefore such organisms must evolve before consciousness can take place.

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused by the apparent simplicity of the question.

Does anyone believe that worms or plants or fungi or diatoms or bacteria are conscious?

How can anyone seriously wonder if consciousness came before organisms?

DaveC426913 said:
Does anyone believe that worms or plants or fungi or diatoms or bacteria are conscious?
I believe this must result from a failure to recognize the meaning and nature of consciousness, possibly from a desire to escape the responsibility that arises from a consciousness which is accompanied by reason and choice.

anthropomorphists.

what is consciousness, if not the response, of an entity, to its environment, founded in the awareness of said environment, by said entity?

-responsive awareness...

Q_Goest, you are the closest, and most probably correct. we see it most clearly.

consciousness does not mean individual self-consciousness. if i am conscious, then my cat is conscious, and a bee is conscious, in similar fashion. it is, perhaps, impossible to say, which came first, as they are, perhaps, mutually arising.

get out (over) yourselves, ego-centric humans.

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:

People have a hard time imagining non-existence. This in itself is amusing to me

sameandnot said:
anthropomorphists.
what is consciousness, if not the response, of an entity, to its environment, founded in the awareness of said environment, by said organism?
-responsive awareness...
Q_Goest, you are the closest, and most probably correct. we see it most clearly.

I agree, but according to this statement, is all life conscious(as having responsive awareness)?

Personally i think the radio analogy is a good one: that consciousness is not produced by the brain, but received by it. Just like a radio receives radiowaves. So I think consciousness came first.

good point, pit2.

what's our defintion of "organism"? we must find the essence of what it means to be defined an organism.

sameandnot said:
get out (over) yourselves, ego-centric humans.
An attitude like this will certainly not be conducive to productive discussion.

What is the meaning behind the phrase "Forget the chicken and its egg"?

The phrase "Forget the chicken and its egg" is often used as a metaphor for not getting caught up in trivial details or debates, but instead focusing on the bigger picture or main issue at hand.

Where did the phrase "Forget the chicken and its egg" originate from?

The exact origins of the phrase are unknown, but it has been used in various forms throughout history, including in ancient Chinese and Hindu texts.

What are some examples of how the phrase "Forget the chicken and its egg" can be applied in real life situations?

This phrase can be applied in a variety of scenarios, such as disagreements in politics or personal relationships, where it is important to focus on finding a solution rather than getting caught up in petty arguments.

Is there a scientific basis to the phrase "Forget the chicken and its egg"?

While the phrase is often used as a metaphor, there is some scientific evidence that suggests that chickens may have evolved from a different species of bird, making the question of which came first, the chicken or the egg, irrelevant.

How can the phrase "Forget the chicken and its egg" be interpreted in a positive way?

This phrase can also be seen as a reminder to let go of past conflicts or mistakes, and instead focus on moving forward and finding solutions for the future.