How does the sequence {b_n} converge to max {a, K}?

In summary, we have two decreasing sequences {a_n} and {b_n} with the latter defined as b_n = max { a_n, K }. According to Apostol, {b_n} converges to max {a, K} and this can be proven by considering two cases: K >= a and a < K. In both cases, it can be shown that eventually b_n will converge to max {a, K} through well-known theorems.
Castilla
Facts:
1. We have the decrecient sequence {a_n} which converges to "a".
2. Let "K" be a constant.
3. We have the decrecient sequence {b_n} where b_n = max { a_n, K }.

I read in Apostol that {b_n} converges to max {a, K} but I can't figure how. Can you help me? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Decreasing.

The most straight-forward way is probably to separately consider the cases K >= a and K < a.

Sorry that I can't use latex, there is some problem in the PC.

I will follow your suggerence.

1) Let us suppose that K >= a. Then for all epsilon > 0 we can find N(e) / if n > N then l b_n - K l = l max (a_n, K) - K l < epsilon.

2) Now let us suppose that a > K. Then for all epsilon > 0 we can find N(e) / if n > N then l b_n - a l = l max (a_n, K) - a l < epsilon.

Hm, excuse me but I can't see how these statements help to prove that max (a_n, K) tends to max (a, K).

Now that I think about it, it's probably slightly easier to consider a >= K and a < K (not that it makes much of a difference really).

There is no need to revert to the definition of convergence. (Or at least the epsilon stuff will be hidden in well-known theorems we can use).

Suppose a < K. Eventually a_n < K. So, eventually b_n = what?

Two options: a >= K, K > a.

We try first a >= K. Then there is an N such that for any n > N we got a_n >= K. Then for any n > N we got b_n (equal, by definition, to max {a_n, K} ) = a_n. So b_n converges to "a", which is max {a, K}.

Now we try a < K. Then there is an N such that for any n > N we got a_n < K. Then for any n > N we got b_n (equal, by definition, to max {a_n, K} ) = K. So b_n converges to "K", which is max {a, K}.

Thank you, Muzza, happy new year for you and your beloved ones!

What is the definition of convergence of a sequence?

The convergence of a sequence is the idea of a sequence of numbers approaching a specific value as the terms of the sequence progress. In simpler terms, it is the concept of a sequence eventually "settling down" or getting closer and closer to a specific limit.

How is the convergence of a sequence determined?

The convergence of a sequence is determined by examining the behavior of the terms of the sequence as the number of terms increases. If the terms of the sequence get closer and closer to a specific limit or value, the sequence is said to be convergent. If the terms do not approach a specific limit, the sequence is said to be divergent.

What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to a sequence that converges regardless of the order in which the terms are arranged. In other words, the sequence would converge to the same limit regardless of the order of the terms. On the other hand, conditional convergence refers to a sequence that only converges when the terms are arranged in a specific order.

What is the use of convergence of a sequence in real life?

The concept of convergence of a sequence is widely used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. In physics, it is used to calculate the behavior of physical systems over time. In engineering, it is used to optimize designs and predict the performance of machines. In economics, it is used to analyze market trends and make predictions about future values.

What are the different tests for convergence of a sequence?

Some common tests for convergence of a sequence include the Monotone Convergence Theorem, the Limit Comparison Test, the Ratio Test, and the Root Test. These tests help determine the convergence or divergence of a sequence based on the behavior of its terms.