Solving Wiki Saving Problems

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
In summary: Slapstick humor is often used to take the edge off situations, and this expression is often used in comedic ways to indicate a lack of understanding or disappointment)The phrase "In summary, " should be the only thing in this summary.
Cyrus
Heh,

I clicked on one of the edit tabs on wiki and all the text showed up. Then it said click to save changes! WTF! Can anyone go in there and actually change someone's work!? I didn't save any changes, but that was scary. I thought anyone can edit it, but they have to have a password or something given by an admin of some sort. Yikes, I'm surprised kids don’t go in there and just write things like 'wikipedia is for (expletive)'.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone can edit wikipedia... at least they could up until a few weeks ago. I think they've put in some better regulations (but I think its only you needing to make an account real quick before doing it).

cyrusabdollahi said:
Heh,
I clicked on one of the edit tabs on wiki and all the text showed up. Then it said click to save changes! WTF! Can anyone go in there and actually change someone's work!? I didn't save any changes, but that was scary. I thought anyone can edit it, but they have to have a password or something given by an admin of some sort. Yikes, I'm surprised kids don’t go in there and just write things like 'wikipedia is for (expletive)'.
They have people who "patrol" the site to remove "vandalism" and others who check up on dubious or contestable edits.

Well Pengwuino, yesterday I edited a page just fine.

EDIT: We've had almost this exact thread a few times before BTW. Just search for wikipedia

...dough!

I believe they cache the whole site regularly in case something really bad happens.

Yes, you can read previous edits of a page.

Wikipedia is, in fact, vandalized regularly. Most of it doesn't last long, however:

A 2002 study by IBM found that most vandalism on the English Wikipedia is reverted within five minutes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Vandalism

- Warren

TheStatutoryApe said:
They have people who "patrol" the site to remove "vandalism" and others who check up on dubious or contestable edits.
chroot said:
Wikipedia is, in fact, vandalized regularly. Most of it doesn't last long
Actually I am in the counter-vandalism unit. I hate those losers who are wasting their time deleting pages, spamming them, adding in obscene material, the list goes on :mad:. Sometimes we have to ban their IP, because all they do is mess it up.

I did some heavy vandal-fighting last week, and found that none of the articles' vandalisms lasted over two minutes. Most took only about 30 seconds or a minute until it was fixed. GO TEAM! I'm proud of my job. :smile: :biggrin: Too bad I don't get paid.

I got an angry comment from a vandal two days ago. :frown:

...dough!
Actually, it's .[/URL] :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. ~Homer

D'oh!

Hurkyl said:
Actually, it's .[/URL] :biggrin:
You probably know where this expression came from. It was a favorite of Mr. Cucumber (played by James Finlayson) in the Laurel and Hardy movies (made from 1929-52). In slapstick exasperation, he would often exclaim Do-o-o-o! and slap his forehead for emphasis. If you're not familiar with these movies, you gottah catch some on DVD. :biggrin:
(Hmmmm i see this reference confirms my recall.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does "Solving Wiki Saving Problems" work?

Solving Wiki Saving Problems is a process in which scientists and experts collaborate to identify and address issues related to saving information on Wiki platforms. This involves analyzing data, conducting experiments, and implementing solutions to improve the overall efficiency and effectiveness of saving information on Wiki.

2. What are the common challenges faced in Wiki saving?

Some common challenges in Wiki saving include technical issues, such as server crashes or software bugs, as well as human errors, such as incorrect information being added or deleted. Other challenges may include conflicts between contributors or issues with sourcing and citing information.

3. How do scientists approach solving Wiki saving problems?

Scientists approach solving Wiki saving problems through a systematic and evidence-based approach. This may include conducting research, analyzing data, and collaborating with others to develop and implement solutions. Scientists also rely on their expertise and knowledge in the field to address specific challenges.

4. What are some potential solutions to Wiki saving problems?

Some potential solutions to Wiki saving problems may include implementing better backup systems, improving user interface and tools, increasing communication and collaboration among contributors, and implementing stricter guidelines for sourcing and citing information. Other solutions may involve developing new technologies or algorithms to improve the overall process of saving information on Wiki.

5. How can I contribute to solving Wiki saving problems?

There are several ways to contribute to solving Wiki saving problems. As a scientist, you can conduct research and experiments to identify and address specific issues. You can also collaborate with other experts and share your knowledge and expertise to develop solutions. Additionally, as a Wiki contributor, you can follow guidelines and best practices to ensure accurate and reliable information is saved on the platform.