Moment of inertia about center of solid sphere

In summary, the moment of inertia for a spherical shell of radius R and mass m is 2mR²/3. This can be found by directly integrating or by finding the change in moment of inertia for a solid sphere when its radius changes. The moment of inertia for a solid sphere of density ρ is I=(8/15)πρR⁵. The change in moment of inertia, dI, for a change in radius, dR, is dm = 4πR²ρdR. The formula given in the problem is for the moment of inertia about the diameter, which is 2MR²/5 for a solid sphere and 2MR²/3 for a spherical shell.
darkar
Here's the question:
Show that the moment of inertia of a spherical shell of radius R and mass m is 2mR²/3. This can be done by direct integration or, more easily, by finding the increase in the moment of inertia of a solid sphere when its radius changes. To do this, first show that the moment of inertia of a solid sphere of density ρ is I=(8/15)πρR⁵. Then compute the change dI in I for a change dR, and use the fact that the mass of this shell is dm = 4πR²ρdR.

What I did is using I = ∫r²dm=∫4πr⁴ρdr=4πρR⁵/5=3MR²/5.

what is wrong with my equation? And please note that I am not asked to ask moment of inertia about the diameter.

Thanks ~

Physics news on Phys.org
Just glancing at your equation it looks like you are essentially integrating in spherical coordinates. Usually cylindrical coordinates is easier and more direct.

Although you are not asked about the moment of inertia about the diameter the formula given in the problem is for the moment of inertia about the diameter. It looks to me like you are trying to take the moment of inertia around the center, which is not possible since you can't rotate about the center.

-Dale

Well, the moment of inertia about the diameter is not 2MR²/3 but is 2MR²/5 instead. So i would say it is not about the diameter.

Last edited:
Read carefully. 2/5 is for a solid sphere and 2/3 is for a spherical shell. Both rotated about the diameter.

-Dale

Oh rite! Thanks for pointing the wrong. I think the question confused because of the second part which asked me to find the solid sphere first.

Thanks Dale ~

1. What is the formula for calculating moment of inertia about the center of a solid sphere?

The formula for calculating moment of inertia about the center of a solid sphere is I = (2/5)mr2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the sphere, and r is the radius of the sphere.

2. How does the moment of inertia change if the mass or radius of the sphere is doubled?

If the mass of the sphere is doubled, the moment of inertia will also double. If the radius of the sphere is doubled, the moment of inertia will increase by a factor of 8.

3. Can the moment of inertia of a solid sphere be negative?

No, the moment of inertia cannot be negative as it is a measurement of an object's resistance to rotational motion and must always be positive.

4. How is the moment of inertia related to the distribution of mass in a solid sphere?

The moment of inertia is directly proportional to the distribution of mass in a solid sphere. The further the mass is from the center of the sphere, the larger the moment of inertia will be.

5. How do you determine the moment of inertia of a solid sphere with non-uniform mass distribution?

To determine the moment of inertia of a solid sphere with non-uniform mass distribution, you can use the parallel axis theorem. This states that the moment of inertia is equal to the moment of inertia of a point mass at the center of mass plus the product of the mass and the square of the distance between the center of mass and the axis of rotation.