What is the process of creating a vacuum and how does it affect air pressure?

In summary, a vacuum chamber is a container where the air is removed to create a reduced amount of gas molecules or a vacuum. This can be achieved by using a vacuum pump or a venturi setup. When the air is removed, the pressure inside the chamber is lower than outside, causing a lid placed on a jar inside the chamber to stick due to the difference in pressure. When the chamber is opened, the pressure inside and outside will equalize. To achieve an extremely high vacuum, a molecular diffusion pump and a getter, such as Mg or Ti, may be used.
dekoi
Suppose there exists a chamber of practical size (perhaps a prism with a square-base of 10 inch size, and 25 inch height).

Now suppose I place an open jar into the chamber.

If (and I say 'if' because i don't know how one would do this) a machine sucked all the air from the chamber, would there exist a 'vacuum' inside the chamber? If so, would placing a lid on the jar cause the lid to 'stick' to the jar's top because of difference in air pressure?

Please explain these concepts to me. Also, If my previous statements are true, what are the consequences (if any) of opening up this chamber after the procedure?

Physics news on Phys.org
A vacuum is simply a reduced amount of gas/air molecules, and a perfect vacuum would be the complete absenced of gas molecules.

Pressure of a gas is simply due to the kinetic energy of the gas and the transfer of momentum from the gas to a surface. As the temperature decreases (i.e. gas cools) or the density is decreased, the pressure is reduced.

If one has a sealed container surrounded by air/atmosphere, and one withdraws the air in the container, then the pressure outside is greater than the pressure inside. The lid sealing the container will have a greater pressure on the outside surface than on the inside, and therefore, it will experience a force pushing against the lid to keep the container sealed.

If one could exert sufficient force to open the lid, then one would hear the gas entering the container until the pressure inside and out equalized.

See - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/press.html#pre

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Precon.html

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/kinetic/idegas.html#c1

Now suppose I place an open jar into the chamber.

If the jar is inside of the vacuum chamber, there will be no differential pressure between the two. The lid would not be held on.

If you put the lid on the jar, then opened the vacuum chamber to atmosphere, the lid would definitely stick on there. edit: (because the jar is sealed and is at the vacuum pressure)

What machine could I use to pump air out of a chamber?

A vacuum pump.

or a venturi set up. Theres a few

dekoi said:
What machine could I use to pump air out of a chamber?
As Homer mentioned, a vacuum pump, but it's a bit more complicated than that, because as the is drawing down, it becomes increasingly difficult to 'pump' out the air. One could start with a diaphragm or piston, the displacement of which increases the volume which reduces the molecular density.

At some point, a molecular diffusion pump is necessary to remove the gas molecules.

For an extremely high vacuum, i.e. essentially complete absence of gas molecules, a getter is used in which the oxygen atoms react with the metal in the getter to form oxide. Such a getter might be Mg or Ti or Zr. This approach also presupposes that the atmosphere is mostly oxygen, which can be achieve by pumping pure oxygen to displace air, which is of course ~78% N2, ~21% O2 and less than 1% trace gases.

What is air pressure?

Air pressure is the force exerted by the weight of the air above a given point in the Earth's atmosphere.

How is air pressure measured?

Air pressure is typically measured using a barometer. The most commonly used unit of measurement is the millibar (mb) or hectopascal (hPa).

What factors affect air pressure?

The two main factors that affect air pressure are temperature and altitude. As temperature increases, air particles gain energy and move farther apart, resulting in lower air pressure. As altitude increases, there is less air above a given point, resulting in lower air pressure.

Why do airplanes need to account for air pressure?

Airplanes need to account for air pressure because it affects the lift and drag forces that allow them to fly. Changes in air pressure can also impact the performance of the aircraft's instruments and engines.

How does air pressure impact weather?

Air pressure plays a crucial role in weather patterns. Areas of high pressure are associated with clear, calm weather, while areas of low pressure are associated with stormy, unsettled weather. Changes in air pressure can also indicate the movement of weather systems.