Introduction books/interesting thesis ideas on string theory

In summary, Benjamin is a new member of the string group with a passion for theoretical physics and mathematics. He is currently collecting information and looking for general readings and interesting suggestions for his diploma thesis. He is interested in topics related to anomalies in multi-dimensional brane-extensions in string theory and is seeking guidance and inspiration from the string group members.
bjurke
Hi string group,

I'm a new member. In a few months I'll have completed my final exams
and can finally start to write my diploma thesis (german diploma) in
theoretical physics and mathematics.

Naturally I'm a novice in the subject, having only very superficial
basic knowledge from a supersymmetry/supergravity/superstring lecture.
So I'm currently collecting information about books, interesting
articles and so on. Since I don't have a specific thesis frame or topic
to deal with, I search for general readings or interesting suggestions
that could be dealt with. Of course I'm aware of the obvious readings
(Polchinski, Green/Schwarz/Witten) that are currently scattered around
my desk.

Current ideas for a thesis topic are something (very vague and
preliminary) "anomalies in multi-dimensional brane-extensions in string
theory" or something like that.

So what I'm asking for are some inspiring hints, that could be deals
with in detail. Please note that the subjects should contain sufficient
mathematical aspects, because it should be a thesis for both departments
(that's ok by the regulations if the thesis has the sufficient
length...).

Maybe this question is a bit preliminary because my actual lack of
deeper knowledge in the subject, but on the other hand I prefer reading
books and knowing what's goint to appear between the lines.

Thanks so far, Benjamin.--
bjurke
------------------------------------------------------------------------
bjurke's Profile: https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31251
View this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=79533

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Benjamin,

Welcome to the string group! We are excited to have a new member with an interest in theoretical physics and mathematics. Congratulations on completing your final exams and preparing to write your diploma thesis.

I understand the importance of having a clear and specific topic to focus on for a thesis. However, I also understand that at this stage, it may be difficult to come up with a specific topic without a deeper understanding of the subject. In the meantime, I would suggest reading some general books on string theory and its mathematical foundations, such as "String Theory and M-Theory: A Modern Introduction" by Becker, Becker, and Schwarz or "String Theory in a Nutshell" by Kiritsis.

In addition to these books, I would also recommend reading some research papers in the field to get a sense of current topics and open questions. This will not only give you a better understanding of the subject, but may also spark some ideas for your own thesis topic. You can find research papers on arXiv or through your university's library.

As for specific topics, I think your ideas on anomalies in multi-dimensional brane-extensions in string theory are interesting and definitely worth exploring. You may also want to consider looking into topics such as holography, duality, or the AdS/CFT correspondence.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction and I wish you all the best in your thesis work. If you have any further questions or need any additional guidance, please don't hesitate to reach out to the members of the string group.

Hello Benjamin,

Congratulations on completing your final exams and starting your diploma thesis in theoretical physics and mathematics. String theory is a fascinating and complex subject, and it's great that you are seeking out additional resources and ideas for your thesis.

I would recommend that you start by familiarizing yourself with the current state of string theory research and the key questions and debates within the field. This will help you narrow down your focus and identify potential thesis topics that are both interesting and feasible.

Some books that I would recommend for gaining a deeper understanding of string theory are "String Theory and M-Theory: A Modern Introduction" by Katrin Becker, Melanie Becker, and John Schwarz, and "The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory" by Brian Greene.

In terms of potential thesis topics, your idea about exploring anomalies in multi-dimensional brane-extensions in string theory is certainly a valid and interesting direction. You could also consider looking into the role of string theory in cosmology and the early universe, or the implications of string theory for quantum gravity.

I would also suggest reaching out to professors or researchers in your field for guidance and potential collaboration opportunities. They may have specific suggestions for thesis topics or be able to provide more in-depth knowledge and resources.

Overall, my advice would be to read widely and deeply, and to stay curious and open-minded as you delve into the complex world of string theory. Good luck with your thesis!

1. What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework that attempts to reconcile the laws of general relativity and quantum mechanics. It proposes that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are tiny, one-dimensional strings rather than point-like particles.

2. How is string theory different from other theories?

String theory differs from other theories in that it attempts to describe all fundamental forces and particles in a single framework. It also predicts the existence of extra dimensions and proposes a unified theory of gravity and quantum mechanics.

3. What are some potential applications of string theory?

Some potential applications of string theory include the possibility of a unified theory of physics, understanding the nature of black holes, and exploring the nature of space and time at a fundamental level.

4. Are there any experimental tests for string theory?

Currently, there are no direct experimental tests for string theory. However, scientists are working on developing ways to test its predictions, such as through particle colliders and gravitational wave detectors.

5. What are some interesting thesis ideas on string theory?

Some interesting thesis ideas on string theory could include exploring the implications of extra dimensions, investigating the role of supersymmetry in the theory, or examining the connection between string theory and other areas of physics, such as cosmology or condensed matter physics.