Hamiltonian/Angular Momentum Commuter

• Thread starter eep
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in proving that the Hamiltonian commutes with each component of angular momentum when the potential only depends on the distance from the origin, r. The key is to use the position representation and the fact that V only depends on r. This leads to the conclusion that the Hamiltonian is rotationally invariant and therefore commutes with all components of angular momentum.
eep
I'm having trouble proving that the Hamiltonian commutes with each component of angular momentum as long as the potential only depends on r.

I have gotten to the following step:

[tex]
[H,L_x] = [\frac{p^2}{2m} + V(r), L_x] = [V(r), L_x]
[/tex]

[tex]
[V(r), L_x] = [V(r), yp_z - zp_y]
[/tex]

[tex]
= V(r)yp_z - V(r)zp_y - yp_zV(r) + zp_yV(r)
[/tex]

[tex]
= y[V(r), p_z] - z[V(r), p_y]
[/tex]I'm not sure where to go from here... the problem states that V depends only on r but I'm not sure if I should interperet that as V being linear in terms or r or if there can be higher powers. Help, please!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] V(r) [/tex] is meant to be a general function of [tex] r = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + x^2} [/tex]. The simplest way to evaluate those commutators is to use the position representation where [tex] \vec{p} = - i \hbar \vec{\nabla} [/tex]. You will find that the key feature is that [tex] V [/tex] depends on [tex] x [/tex], [tex] y[/tex], [tex] z [/tex] only through [tex] r [/tex].

Thank you!

eep said:
Thank you!

Physics Monkey already gave you the answer..Let me just add that it will be useful to use

[tex] {\partial V \over \partial z} = {\partial V \over \partial r} {\partial r \over \partial z} [/tex]

and so on.

Patrick

The fact that [itex] \hat{H} [/itex] is rotationally invariant follows simply from the fact that [itex] V [/itex] depends only on [itex] |\vec{r}| [/itex]. Since the rotation group is [itex] SO(3) [/itex] and its generators are the angular momentum operators, it follows by definition that

[tex] [\hat{L}_{i},\hat{H}]_{-} =\hat{0} , \forall \ i=1,2,3. [/tex].

Daniel.

1. What is the Hamiltonian for a system with angular momentum?

The Hamiltonian for a system with angular momentum is the sum of the kinetic and potential energy of the system, as well as the product of the angular momentum and the rotation rate.

2. How is the angular momentum operator defined in the Hamiltonian?

The angular momentum operator is defined as the cross product of the position operator and the linear momentum operator, multiplied by the reduced Planck's constant.

3. What is the commutator between the Hamiltonian and angular momentum?

The commutator between the Hamiltonian and angular momentum is equal to the negative of the angular momentum operator multiplied by the rotation rate.

4. How does the conservation of angular momentum apply to the Hamiltonian?

The conservation of angular momentum applies to the Hamiltonian as it is a conserved quantity in systems with rotational symmetry. This means that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant over time.

5. What are the implications of the angular momentum commutator in quantum mechanics?

The angular momentum commutator in quantum mechanics is used to determine the allowed energy levels for a system with angular momentum. It also plays a crucial role in the analysis of atomic and molecular spectra.