Inverted Physics: Vacuum is Solid, Matter are Holes

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of inverting matter and vacuum, and the implications it would have on gravity. Lesage's theory of gravity is mentioned, but ultimately it is deemed to be inconsistent with known laws of physics and in direct conflict with the theory of relativity.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Has anyone thought what physics would be like if, matter and the vacuum
were inverted, ie the stars planets ect are (holes) in the (solid) vacuum,
and these holes can travel the solid like bubbles in water ?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Let me join this experiment. If we tried to model matter as bubbles floating around in the water of vaccum, then would the vacuum exert pressure on the matter? If so would this affect the behavior of matter in any way? Such an object should be under the same pressure from any direction, unless there is an object nearby blocking off some of that pressure, in which case the opposing pressure wins and the objects come together. This i think is equivalent to Lesage's theory of gravity. Your universe now has a form of gravity. :smile:

Last edited:
-Job- said:
Let me join this experiment. If we tried to model matter as bubbles floating around in the water of vaccum, then would the vacuum exert pressure on the matter? If so would this affect the behavior of matter in any way? Such an object should be under the same pressure from any direction, unless there is an object nearby blocking off some of that pressure, in which case the opposing pressure wins and the objects come together. This i think is equivalent to Lesage's theory of gravity. Your universe now has a form of gravity. :smile:

Very intuitive job, i will have to look up Lessage.

So what is (wrong) with Le Sages theory, it seems it did not fall out of
focus until the 1960s, so it must have had some good points.

I think it has problems dealing with the fact that "energy gravitates, possesses inertia and is a source of gravitation". One challenge this generates, according to the link you posted:
Wikipedia said:
Similarly it has been shown experimentally that all known forms of energy, including potential energy act as gravitational sources. In order to reconcile these facts with the principles of Le Sage theory it would be necessary to posit that potential energy somehow increases the cross-sectional area of matter, and that the elementary particles of mundane matter increase their cross-sectional areas when moving.

According to that link, Maxwell and Poincare noted that:
Wikipedia said:
the primary flux (of Lesage particles) must be billions of times more penetrating than X-rays (since ordinary X-rays penetrate only a few feet into the earth), and he dubbed these X'-rays. Then, in order to avoid destroying the gravitational force, the excess energy must be re-radiated in a form that is billions of times more penetrating than the X'-rays, so he dubbed these X"-rays. The process of re-radiation at a higher penetrating ability (and therefore lower entropy) violates the second law of thermodynamics, so Poincare concluded that this re-radiation is inconsistent with the known laws of physics, and therefore Maxwell was correct in asserting that the Earth should be incinerated in a fraction of a second, and this fate cannot be avoided either by Kelvin's internal energy modes or Preston's vanishingly small corpuscles.

Also, in order to work, Lesage particles would have to propagate at super-liminal speeds:
As pointed out initially by Pierre-Simon Laplace and then later many others, if the force of gravity is purely central, i.e., points directly toward the source, the gravitational force carrier must propagate almost instantaneously, i.e., at a speed much greater than light, in order to account for the apparent lack of aberration. Hence any theory of gravity must either posit an effect that propagates much faster than light or else must not be purely central. General relativity is consistent with the lack of appreciable aberration because gravity is not a purely central effect, a characteristic which is required of any field theory in order to be consistent with relativity, as shown by Henri Poincaré [15] However, this attribute is considered inconsistent with purely non-interactive rectilinear trajectories, a fact which has led some modern proponents of Le Sage's theory to adopt the other alternative, i.e., to assert that the ultra-mundane particles do indeed move at extreme superluminal speeds. However, such a premise is in direct conflict with modern relativity, one of the most strongly validated theories in science.

The biggest problem with Lesage's theory is that it has to compete with Relativity.

Last edited:
A big problem indeed. Some, myself included, would say fatal.

Thanks Job, i guess GR wins this time.

1. What is inverted physics?

Inverted physics is a theoretical concept that suggests that the vacuum, or empty space, is actually a solid structure, and that matter, such as atoms and particles, are actually holes or voids within this solid vacuum. This is in contrast to traditional physics, which views matter as the solid and vacuum as the empty space between particles.

2. How does inverted physics explain gravity?

Inverted physics proposes that gravity is caused by the solid vacuum pushing and pulling on matter. This is similar to how traditional physics explains gravity as the mass of objects warping the fabric of space-time. However, in inverted physics, it is the vacuum itself that is exerting the force, rather than the matter.

3. Is there any evidence to support inverted physics?

At this time, there is no experimental evidence to support the concept of inverted physics. It is purely a theoretical idea that has not yet been tested or proven.

4. How does inverted physics relate to the concept of dark matter?

Inverted physics suggests that dark matter, which is a type of matter that is believed to make up a large portion of the mass in the universe, may actually be the solid vacuum that fills space. This would mean that dark matter is not a separate type of matter, but rather a different manifestation of the vacuum itself.

5. Could inverted physics change our understanding of the universe?

If inverted physics were proven to be true, it would significantly change our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It would require a complete rethinking of many fundamental concepts, such as gravity, space, and matter. However, until there is evidence to support this theory, it remains just a speculative idea.