Baez: Higher-Dimensional Algebra for Quantum Spacetime

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Video
In summary, Christine Dantis' blog is a pleasant interlude in the morning, with bits of information and nice graphics. Another bit of QG web news is that John Baez will be giving a talk in Paris this month at the Ecole Poly. His talk was very entertaining and full of interesting clues.
Physics news on Phys.org
by the way, another bit of QG web news:

Christine is blogging again. she took a break
checking dantas blog is a pleasant interlude in the morning, nice graphically and often with bits of information, so it adds to the day

christinedantas.blogspot.com/

and where else would we have found out about Smolin's talk in Paris this month at the Ecole Poly?

Last edited:
the things that Hurkyl was explicating and conjecturing about what Baez meant---in that other thread---are what Baez starts talking about in page 6 of the stills menu

so you can jump to the exciting part if you want

I have watched Baez's talk yesterday (my connection was quite poor, though) and was very, very entertained indeed. I think his "clues" are genuinely misterious enough and made me quite interested in learning more about all this n-category stuff. Great talk with several funny "incidents"...:biggrin:

Christine
PS- BTW thanks for the nice words on my blog; I was at a *very* bad time when I decided it was a time for a pause...:frown:

I had the chance to see it. Fun special effects.

An electrifying talk

ccdantas said:
I have watched Baez's talk yesterday (my connection was quite poor, though) and was very, very entertained indeed. I think his "clues" are genuinely mysterious enough and made me quite interested in learning more about all this n-category stuff. Great talk with several funny "incidents"...:biggrin:

Oh-oh! I haven't seen it yet. There was a huge thunderstorm with power surges that caused the high-tech overhead projector to crash a couple of times... and once, all the lights in the room blinked and then came on brighter than before!

So the video recorder somehow survived all this electrifying excitement?

PS- BTW thanks for the nice words on my blog; I was at a *very* bad time when I decided it was a time for a pause...:frown:

We all have those times... I hope things are better now.

By sheer coincidence, I just happen to have your paper "Energy ranking preservation in n-body cosmological simulation" here. It's intriguing - no need to chase after classical gravity or even general relativity to find mysteries in gravity; even the statistical mechanics of gravity is endlessly puzzling.

Dear John Baez,

I liked your talk very much.:biggrin: (Yes, somehow the images survived the storm. But my connection was very poor, so I had to stop all the time. Meanwhile I had dinner, watched a little, took a bath, watched a little, put my son to sleep, ... etc, all the way through your talk.:bugeye: ) BTW, the way you expose the material remainds me of an astrophysicist colleague and old friend of mine here in Brazil, his talks are always entertaining like that.

I have recently completed the proofs of that article, with some minor revisions, I suppose the final corrected edition may be already available at the MNRAS site. Otherwise I can send it to you if you like. Yes you are absolutely correct, statistical mechanics of gravitating systems is very intriguing and a difficult subject, to which I am only scratching the surface. Padmanabhan has very good papers on it, as you can check in the references of my paper. Now the next step is to dedicate to the observational side of the history: analyse the available surveys (on large scale structures in the Universe) and try to figure out if we can reconstruct the initial spectrum based on the ERP.

Best wishes
Christine

Erp?

ccdantas said:
BTW, the way you expose the material remainds me of an astrophysicist colleague and old friend of mine here in Brazil, his talks are always entertaining like that.

Thank you! Does he always get thunderstorms, too? :tongue2:

I have recently completed the proofs of that article, with some minor revisions, I suppose the final corrected edition may be already available at the MNRAS site. Otherwise I can send it to you if you like.

I think the version I have is good enough for me. I have a list of small English grammar mistakes, but I guess it's too late.

Now the next step is to dedicate to the observational side of the history: analyse the available surveys (on large scale structures in the Universe) and try to figure out if we can reconstruct the initial spectrum based on the ERP.

What's the ERP? Oh - energy ranking preservation!

1. What is "Baez: Higher-Dimensional Algebra for Quantum Spacetime" about?

"Baez: Higher-Dimensional Algebra for Quantum Spacetime" is a research paper written by John C. Baez, which explores the use of higher-dimensional algebra to understand quantum spacetime and its properties.

2. What is the significance of using higher-dimensional algebra in this context?

Higher-dimensional algebra allows for a more comprehensive and intuitive understanding of quantum spacetime, as it takes into account multiple dimensions and their interactions. It also provides a more elegant and efficient way to describe and analyze complex mathematical structures.

3. Who is John C. Baez and why is his work important in this field?

John C. Baez is a mathematician and theoretical physicist who has made significant contributions to the study of quantum spacetime and its relation to higher-dimensional algebra. His work has helped advance our understanding of these complex concepts and has opened up new avenues for research in this field.

4. How does "Baez: Higher-Dimensional Algebra for Quantum Spacetime" contribute to current research in quantum physics?

By applying higher-dimensional algebra to quantum spacetime, this paper offers a new perspective and approach to understanding the fundamental principles of quantum physics. It also provides a framework for further research and potential applications in areas such as quantum computing and quantum gravity.

5. Can non-scientists understand the concepts discussed in this paper?

While some of the concepts discussed in this paper may be challenging for non-scientists to grasp, the author presents them in a clear and accessible manner. With some background knowledge in mathematics and physics, non-scientists can gain a basic understanding of the ideas presented in this paper.