All Migraines are Not the Same

• Medical
  • Thread starter manta
  • Start date
In summary: I have never tried any of those but I found a good picture of what mine look like except mine make a complete oval instead of just half of the visual field.http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:wex_Ea54r2W8wM:https://www.mylifepath.com/bsc/hw/images/mayo/image_popup/ww5r110.jpg This is what mine looked like, except the crescent was thin, perfectly formed, no rough edges and the geometric shapes inside would spin while the crescent glowed and pulsed.
manta
All Migraines are Not the Same

All migraines do not include all of these phases, and even people who experience one or more of these phases may not be subjected to them all the time. Still, it's important to recognize that these distinct sets of symptoms can occur before, during and after a migraine attack. You'll begin to recognize these symptoms as warning signs that should be acted upon immediately so you can stop the migraine roller-coaster before it gets started.

One way to do that is with a class of migraine medication known as triptans. Studies show these drugs may actually calm the stimulated brainstem where the migraine originates before the attack reaches its full force.

There are many preventative strategies available which can reduce the frequency, duration and intensity of attacks, and they should be considered an important component of your treatment regimen, too. Taking steps to avoid triggers like stress, foods or others factors can help. But it's also important to consider the variety of medications that can be taken when a migraine is anticipated. These preventive medicines can stop the headache process and halt the symptoms of the attack. Although breakthrough migraines can still occur, these treatments can make a big difference in the long run.

The bottom line is that migraines don't have to control your life. Learning about the symptoms and taking action will give you a sense of control. It will also ensure you get the most effective treatment to stop the attack in its tracks.

Monitor your symptoms with a headache diary, and talk to your doctor about what you are experiencing. Armed with the right information, you'll soon be able to manage this disabling disease instead of letting it control you.

Likes selinacantrell
Biology news on Phys.org
I don't understand why you chose the title "hospital phobia" for this thread. :confused:

Likes selinacantrell
again

I don't think that my way og naming it is so important. The important one is the method in which I could help her !

manta said:
I don't think that my way og naming it is so important. The important one is the method in which I could help her !

Help who? :confused:

Hi,

When you recognize the incoming symptoms (warning messages / yellow flags) you have some chance to stop the migraine.

It works fine for tension headaches (common migraines).

Many migraineurs are focussed on pain and related responses but unaware of the incoming stimuli.

somasimple said:
Hi,

When you recognize the incoming symptoms (warning messages / yellow flags) you have some chance to stop the migraine.

It works fine for tension headaches (common migraines).

Many migraineurs are focussed on pain and related responses but unaware of the incoming stimuli.

I don't always get the migraine prodrome. In fact, I rarely do. Usually, if I do get the scintillating scotoma then I don't get much of a headache. Most of the time the only way I can tell if it is a migraine or a tension headache is that Tylenol or NSAIDS get rid of the tension headache. There is no over the counter drug that has any effect on a migraine for me. Thank God for Zomig! My migraines are totally hormonally related. I get one a month that lasts about 24 hours.

I've had 3 ophthalmic (painless) migraines. They are strange not only because they are painless, but because of the unmistakeable glowing crescent with geometric shapes that are seen during the event.

The first time I had one I was so mesmerized by what I was seeing that (in a way) I didn't want it to stop.

I do not get the normal migraines.

Evo said:
I've had 3 ophthalmic (painless) migraines. They are strange not only because they are painless, but because of the unmistakeable glowing crescent with geometric shapes that are seen during the event.

The first time I had one I was so mesmerized by what I was seeing that (in a way) I didn't want it to stop.

I do not get the normal migraines.

is this in any way related to what happens when you're on hallucinogens like LSD, street acid, or psiolcybin?

Pythagorean said:
is this in any way related to what happens when you're on hallucinogens like LSD, street acid, or psiolcybin?
I have never tried any of those but I found a good picture of what mine look like except mine make a complete oval instead of just half of the visual field.
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:wex_Ea54r2W8wM:https://www.mylifepath.com/bsc/hw/images/mayo/image_popup/ww5r110.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what mine looked like, except the crescent was thin, perfectly formed, no rough edges and the geometric shapes inside would spin while the crescent glowed and pulsed.

It's not like psychedilcs that alter your entire field of vision, it is a single image within your eye.

http://www.eyeguys.net/ocularmigraine.html

I've never had a headache except from dehydration a few times.

Oh yes, and rapid consumption of frozen dairy treats. :biggrin:

Mk said:
Oh yes, and rapid consumption of frozen dairy treats. :biggrin:
I wonder if a migraine feels like "brain freeze"?

Math Is Hard said:
I wonder if a migraine feels like "brain freeze"?

Mine don't! The best way to describe my migraines is this:

Put on a baseball cap as tight as it will go. So tight you have to force it on. Now, go out in the hot sun on a 90* day and stay out there without sunglasses and squint all day long. Then, imagine you cannot remove the hat that is squeezing your head so much that it throbs and hurts to smile. Take a Tylenol or Advil and wait for it to do absolutely nothing...

That is what my headaches were like until I found Zomig.

normal headaches throb too, though right? Like it feels like you're tensing a muscle in your head, but you have no control over it?

I get severe sinus headaches. The pressure inside feels like your head is going to explode. The pain is excruciating.

Pythagorean said:
normal headaches throb too, though right? Like it feels like you're tensing a muscle in your head, but you have no control over it?
Normal headaches can throb too but migraines usually end up on one side. Mine start out all over and after about six hours it ends up in the left frontal/temporal lobe area.

Migraines run in my family. My Mom suffered from them most of her life, but, as she aged, they seemed to become less frequent, until they stopped altogether.

I had two severe migraines when I was young that rendered me unconscious for around 1 hour each time. The Doctor put this down to extreme pain. Those extreme events never occurred again.

Migraines, for me, seem to come in 'seasons', where I get migraines around 1 time per week, & sometimes these things can last for up to 3 days. Then magically, they disappear & nothing comes for a few months. Nowadays, I use ergotamine to catch them in the early stages & to limit the impact. These migraines seem to be linked with emotional stress (not work-related) & food triggers eg. chocolate, cheese etc. An interesting correlation to allergies.

desA

I had two severe migraines when I was young that rendered me unconscious for around 1 hour each time. The Doctor put this down to extreme pain. Those extreme events never occurred again.
Christ, that sounds not only painful, but extremely damaging.

larkspur said:
Normal headaches can throb too but migraines usually end up on one side. Mine start out all over and after about six hours it ends up in the left frontal/temporal lobe area.

I get intense, throbbing hedaches if I work my resperatory system too hard, too fast. I think this is mostly a an effect of smoking, though.

Pythagorean said:
I get intense, throbbing hedaches if I work my resperatory system too hard, too fast. I think this is mostly a an effect of smoking, though.

Yet another great reason to QUIT SMOKING!:biggrin:

larkspur said:
Yet another great reason to QUIT SMOKING!:biggrin:

some day my futile attempts will produce fruit.

Pythagorean said:

My initial impulse was to say that they're completely unrelated phenomena, to the extent that ocular migraine is caused by spasms in the blood vessels around the eye and optic nerve whereas hallucinations from psychoactives are directly caused by abnormal brain functioning. However, looking into it a bit more, there seems to be some indication that the visuals in an ocular migraine might also involve abnormal brain functioning in the visual areas. e.g. :

Ocular Migraine is a variant of migraine that is not uncommon. It is believed to be caused by the same mechanism as classical migraine; vascular spasm. Instead of the spasm affecting the surface of the brain, these episodes affect the ocular blood supply or the blood supply to the vision center in the brain.
http://www.eyeguys.net/ocularmigraine.html

The cause of ocular migraines isn't clearly understood. But they're thought to be due to abnormal stimulation of nerve cells (neurons) at the back of the brain.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ocular-migraine/AN01083

So, I suppose it's possible there is some relationship between the two, but I would still tend to doubt it. I would suspect that, although it might be possible to experience visual hallucinations similar to what is experienced in an ocular migraine while on a hallucinogen, by and large the sort of visual disturbances and distortions from hallucinogens are of an altogether different sort and so are caused by different mechanisms.

One obvious difference is that hallucinogens act by imitating the action of neurotransmitters, whereas ocular migraines occur due to constricted blood supply to neurons (which I imagine would have an overall fatiguing and inhibitory sort of effect). So the migraines act at the level of gross neuron metabolism rather than at the level of specific neurotransmitters.

Tension,Anxiety makes most of the headaches

1. What are the different types of migraines?

There are several types of migraines, including migraine with aura, migraine without aura, chronic migraine, vestibular migraine, and menstrual migraine.

2. How do the symptoms of each type of migraine differ?

The symptoms of each type of migraine can vary, but some common symptoms include severe head pain, sensitivity to light and sound, nausea and vomiting, and aura (visual or sensory disturbances).

3. Are there different triggers for each type of migraine?

While some triggers can be common among different types of migraines, there may be specific triggers for each type. For example, hormonal changes can trigger menstrual migraines, while stress and certain foods may trigger other types.

4. Can the treatment for migraines differ based on the type?

Yes, the treatment for migraines can vary depending on the type. Medications, lifestyle changes, and preventive measures may be recommended based on the specific type of migraine a person is experiencing.

5. Is it possible to have more than one type of migraine?

Yes, it is possible for a person to experience more than one type of migraine. Some individuals may have a mix of symptoms from different types of migraines, making it difficult to diagnose a specific type.