Relativity in Minkowski Space and Minkowski Diagram

In summary, the conversation discusses a project on "Relativity on Minkowski Space and Minkowski Diagrams" and asks for recommendations and interesting topics related to the topic. Some suggestions include including quotes from Hermann Minkowski and a book by A. Shadowitz, but some caution against using Minkowski's quotes due to their inconsistency with SI units.
Majid
hi :smile:

I'm working on "Relativity on Minkowski Space and Minkowski Diagrams" as my undergraduate project. I have some references for my project but I want to make it perfect.
May you introduce me some cool stuff (references, interestings, topics to work on & etc.) about this topic? every thing that comes to your mind could help me to make it a well-done job. o:)

Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
Majid said:

I'm working on "Relativity on Minkowski Space and Minkowski Diagrams" as my undergraduate project. I have some references for my project but I want to make it perfect.
May you introduce me some cool stuff (references, interestings, topics to work on & etc.) about this topic? every thing that comes to your mind could help me to make it a well-done job. o:)

Thank You.

Well a good opening could be to include some of Minkowski's interesting quotes:

“The views of space and time which I wish to lay before you have sprung from the soil of experimental physics, and therein lies their strength. They are radical. Henceforth space by itself, and time by itself, are doomed to fade away into mere shadows, and only a kind of union of the two will preserve an independent reality.” – Hermann Minkowski, 1908

Or this one:

"Lightspeed is not a velocity but a units-conversion i.e. it's the number of meters in one second."

Majid said:

Thank You.
You can have a look at A. Shadowitz, Special Relativity. The author introduces special relativity using relativistic space-time diagrams among which Minkowski's one as well
sine ira et studio

MeJennifer said:
Well a good opening could be to include some of Minkowski's interesting quotes:

“The views of space and time which I wish to lay before you have sprung from the soil of experimental physics, and therein lies their strength. They are radical. Henceforth space by itself, and time by itself, are doomed to fade away into mere shadows, and only a kind of union of the two will preserve an independent reality.” – Hermann Minkowski, 1908

Or this one:

"Lightspeed is not a velocity but a units-conversion i.e. it's the number of meters in one second."

His quotes would be rejected by many referees today as inconsistent with SI units.

thank you all. :)

any other suggestions?

1. What is Minkowski space and how does it relate to relativity?

Minkowski space is a mathematical construct that combines time and space into a four-dimensional spacetime. It was developed by Hermann Minkowski as a way to mathematically describe Einstein's theory of relativity. In Minkowski space, the three dimensions of space (length, width, and height) are combined with time as the fourth dimension, allowing for the measurement of both spatial and temporal distances.

2. What is a Minkowski diagram and how is it used in relativity?

A Minkowski diagram is a geometric representation of Minkowski space, with time plotted on the vertical axis and space plotted on the horizontal axis. It is used in relativity to visualize how events and measurements are perceived by different observers moving at different velocities. The slope of a line on the diagram represents the relative velocity between two observers, and the angle between two lines represents the difference in time and space measurements between the two observers.

3. How does the concept of time dilation apply to Minkowski space and relativity?

Time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by the theory of relativity in which time appears to pass slower for observers in motion relative to each other. In Minkowski space, this can be visualized on a Minkowski diagram as the difference in the slope of their worldlines, with the observer in motion appearing to experience time at a slower rate. This effect has been demonstrated and verified through various experiments, including the famous "twin paradox" thought experiment.

4. What is the relationship between Minkowski space and the speed of light?

In Minkowski space, the speed of light is represented as the slope of a line with an angle of 45 degrees on a Minkowski diagram. This means that the speed of light is constant and independent of the observer's frame of reference. This is a fundamental principle of relativity, known as the speed of light postulate, and has been confirmed by numerous experiments.

5. How does the concept of length contraction apply to Minkowski space and relativity?

Length contraction is another phenomenon predicted by relativity, in which objects appear shorter in the direction of motion when observed from a different frame of reference. In Minkowski space, this can be visualized on a Minkowski diagram as the difference in the length of the worldlines of two observers in relative motion. This effect is also well-supported by experiments, such as the famous muon experiment.