Learn Physics for Free in the Philippines: Theoretical Physics Resources

• Thread starter enalynned
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of accessing affordable resources for studying physics in the Philippines and asks for recommendations for free online resources, particularly in the field of theoretical physics. Suggestions are provided, including purchasing used books on Amazon and utilizing online lecture notes and MIT's open courseware. Additionally, the idea of applying for scholarships to study in Singapore is mentioned as a potential solution.
enalynned
I am a physics graduate student in the philippines... I work to support my studies. In our countrym resources such as good books are too expensive. Is there a way where I can learn physics for free? (such as free links in the net with a proper pedagogical flow) Specially in the field of theoretical physics. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
you can find good books relativly cheap on amazon.com (used not new).

Any advantage to amazon.com might be wiped out by shipping charges.

Perhaps the OP lives near a decent library. You can't scribble notes in the margins of the books, but you can at least keep your own notes.

enalynned said:
I am a physics graduate student in the philippines... I work to support my studies. In our countrym resources such as good books are too expensive. Is there a way where I can learn physics for free? (such as free links in the net with a proper pedagogical flow) Specially in the field of theoretical physics. Thanks!

You should apply for scholarship to attend Singapore Universities which are a 1st world and among the best in the world. Since its nearby and the medium in Singapore is english yous hud try

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/index.htm

check this out that's MIT's open courseware.

Thank You So Much Guys!

1. What is the importance of learning theoretical physics?

Theoretical physics is the foundation of modern science and technology. It helps us understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe, from the smallest particles to the largest structures. It also allows us to make predictions and develop new technologies that improve our daily lives.

2. What are some free resources available for learning theoretical physics in the Philippines?

There are many free resources available for learning theoretical physics in the Philippines, such as online courses, lecture notes, and textbooks. Some of the popular websites that offer free resources include Khan Academy, Coursera, and OpenStax.

3. Do I need a strong background in math to learn theoretical physics?

Yes, a strong background in math is essential for understanding theoretical physics. Concepts in theoretical physics are often expressed mathematically, so a good understanding of calculus, algebra, and geometry is necessary. However, with dedication and practice, anyone can learn and excel in theoretical physics.

4. How can I apply theoretical physics in real life?

Theoretical physics has many practical applications in various fields, including engineering, medicine, and technology. For example, concepts in theoretical physics are used in developing medical imaging techniques, designing efficient energy systems, and creating new materials. In everyday life, understanding theoretical physics can also help us gain a deeper understanding of the world around us.

5. Are there any physics communities or organizations in the Philippines that I can join?

Yes, there are several physics communities and organizations in the Philippines that you can join to enhance your learning experience. Some of these include the Philippine Physics Society, the Philippine Astronomical Society, and the Philippine Society of Youth Science Clubs. These communities offer opportunities for networking, attending lectures and workshops, and participating in physics-related activities.