Vector Transformation in \mathbb{R}^n and \mathbb{R}^m with Separable Components

In summary, the transformation \mathcal{A} = \mathbb{R}^n \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^m can be separated into \mathcal{A} = i \circ \mathcal{B} \circ p where p is the projection on the complement of the kernel of \mathcal{A}, \mathcal{B} is an invertible transformation from the complement to the kernel to the image of \mathcal{A}, and i is the inclusion of the image in \mathbb{R}^n. This is a combination of the Isomorphism theorems and involves the use of complementary vector spaces and projections.
nille40
Hi! I'm in serious need of some help.

I am supposed to show that a transformation [tex]\mathcal{A} = \mathbb{R}^n \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^m[/tex] can be separated into [tex]\mathcal{A} = i \circ \mathcal{B} \circ p[/tex] where

• [tex]p[/tex] is the projection on the (orthogonal) complement of the kernel of [tex]\mathcal{A}[/tex].

[tex]\mathcal{B}[/tex] is an invertible transformation from the complement to the kernel to the image of [tex]\mathcal{A}[/tex].

[tex]i[/tex] is the inclusion of the image in [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex]

I hardly know where to start! I would really like some help. I asked this question before, in a different topic, but got a response I didn't understand. I posted a follow-up, but got no response on that.

Thanks in advance,
Nille

Physics news on Phys.org
let K be the kernel of B. Then A is K direct sum K*, where we'll use * to denote the complementary vector space.

Let p be the map p(k) = 0 if k in K, and p(x)=x for x in K*, extended linearly. This means that any vector in A can be written as x+k for x in K* and k in K, and then

p(x+k)=x.

This is your projection.

Notice that for all v in A that Bp(v)=v.

The inclusion is the dual construction:

Let I be the image of B. This is a subspace of of R^n. Pick a complementary subspace I*

Then there is a natural map from I to Idirect sum I*, just the inclusion of the vector, call tis map i.

Obviously the map iBp is the same as B.

This is just the Isomorphism theorems glued together.

Hi Nille,

I'd be happy to help you with this problem. Let's break it down step by step.

First, let's define our transformation \mathcal{A}: \mathbb{R}^n \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^m. This means that \mathcal{A} takes in a vector in \mathbb{R}^n and outputs a vector in \mathbb{R}^m. So we can represent \mathcal{A} as a matrix A with m rows and n columns.

Next, let's define the kernel of \mathcal{A}. The kernel of a transformation is the set of all vectors that get mapped to the zero vector in the output space. In other words, it's the set of all x \in \mathbb{R}^n such that \mathcal{A}(x) = 0.

Now, let's define the complement of the kernel. This is the set of all vectors in \mathbb{R}^n that are not in the kernel of \mathcal{A}. In other words, it's the set of all x \in \mathbb{R}^n such that \mathcal{A}(x) \neq 0.

The projection on the complement of the kernel of \mathcal{A} is a transformation p that takes in a vector x \in \mathbb{R}^n and outputs a vector p(x) \in \mathbb{R}^n, where p(x) is the projection of x onto the complement of the kernel of \mathcal{A}. This means that p(x) is the closest vector to x that is not in the kernel of \mathcal{A}. We can represent this as a matrix P with n rows and n columns.

Now, let's define \mathcal{B}. This is a transformation from the complement of the kernel of \mathcal{A} to the image of \mathcal{A}. This means that \mathcal{B} takes in a vector x \in \mathbb{R}^n and outputs a vector \mathcal{B}(x) \in \mathbb{R}^m, where \mathcal{B}(x) is the transformation of x by \mathcal{A}. We can represent this as a matrix B with m rows and n columns.

1. What is vector transformation?

Vector transformation refers to the process of changing the coordinates of a vector in a given coordinate system to the coordinates of the same vector in a different coordinate system. It involves rotating, scaling, and translating the vector in order to represent it accurately in the new coordinate system.

2. What is the purpose of vector transformation?

The purpose of vector transformation is to simplify mathematical calculations and make it easier to represent and understand geometric concepts. It allows for the manipulation of vectors in different coordinate systems to solve complex problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

3. What are the different types of vector transformations?

There are three main types of vector transformations: translation, rotation, and scaling. Translation involves moving a vector from one position to another without changing its direction or length. Rotation involves changing the direction of a vector by rotating it around an axis. Scaling involves changing the size of a vector by multiplying it by a scalar value.

4. What is a transformation matrix?

A transformation matrix is a square matrix that represents a vector transformation. It is used to perform the calculations needed to transform a vector from one coordinate system to another. The elements of the matrix correspond to the coefficients of the transformation equations, and the matrix can be multiplied by a vector to achieve the transformation.

5. How is vector transformation used in real-world applications?

Vector transformation is used in various real-world applications, such as computer graphics, robotics, and navigation systems. In computer graphics, it is used to rotate and scale objects to create 3D animations. In robotics, it is used to determine the position and orientation of an object or robot in a given environment. In navigation systems, it is used to calculate the distance and direction between two points on a map.