What languages should I consider for my monthly programming analysis articles?

• Thread starter Sane
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Food
In summary, you are considering starting a journal, where every month you post an article that analyzes some aspect of programming subjectively. The article will consider a problem, analyze it in depth, and delve into a solution with snippets. All the while, it will hopefully teach readers about some more advanced theoretical concepts in programming, given that the reader has the fundamental basics of the language covered. The article will be written in one of three languages: Python, C, or Lisp. The language you choose will be based on which you think will be the most interesting to write in and will appeal to the largest audience. The language you choose will also be based on which you feel is the most

What Language Do You Want (Read Entire Post First)?

• C

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Python

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • I will suggest a different language in my post

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • No. Don't waste your time.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Before you try something like that, you might, as I suggested, actually look up the publish/subscribe pattern, because you've shown me that you don't know how it works. Here's a place to start:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observer_pattern

Technology news on Phys.org
You're right, string parsing is much faster than writing a memory address to an array.

You're kidding, right?

- Warren

Well since you can't do Java I'd rather see Python, Idk if i can change my vote or not..
And also in response to the post about programming an associative array being monstrous if the array needed to be large, Couldn't an Array list do the same, and grow to be what ever size was necessary, the code would be a lot easier(in my opinion) to read

Last edited:
chroot said:
You're kidding, right?

- Warren
Yes, I was kidding.

By the way, on rereading that post of mine I think it was kind of mean, for which I'm sorry.

Last edited:
0rthodontist said:
I would be very surprised if you could refer to variables by their string representations in Java.

You can if you code for it. It's not available by default. The difference is that, in Java, Compiling and Running are separate processes. In interpreted languages they're done at the same time, so its possible to give a program access to its own Symbol Table, for example, which will be used as reflection.
Whether or not it's good design depends on how you use it, like anything else. Reflection is very powerful and i think you'll change your mind when you start to use it more often (assuming you're not).
In C#, a non-interpreted language, which can either run on a VM or compile natively, reflection is available, which makes it pretty much like a Java with reflection (it's very close to Java).
One use of this is to connect XML portions of a program with the actual code. For example, in ASP.NET there is a set of available Web Controls, such as a DropDownList, TextBox, etc. Or you can create your own Custom Controls. These controls are placed in a page just like any HTML control, such as:
Code:
<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="Default" %>
<html>
<body>
	<form runat="server">
		<input id="RegularHtmlControl" type="text" />
		<asp:DropDownList ID="MyASPWebControl" runat="server" OnSelectedIndexChanged="MyEventHandler" />
	</form>
</body>
</html>
Each page has a code file behind, in this case a C# file called Default.aspx.cs. The important part is
Code:
OnSelectedIndexChanged="MyEventHandler"
Which assigns an eventhandler to the SelectIndexChanged event. At runtime what happens is that the aspx page is parsed, the DropDownList control is rendered into HTML and, using reflection, the event handler "MyEventHandler", defined on the code side, is registered with the control.
Reflection can be used in this way to combine XML and Compiled code, for example.

0rthodontist said:
You can do this in Java? How?
I would be very surprised if you could refer to variables by their string representations in Java.
See java.lang.reflect.

-Job- said:
One use of this is to connect XML portions of a program with the actual code. For example, in ASP.NET there is a set of available Web Controls, such as a DropDownList, TextBox, etc. Or you can create your own Custom Controls. These controls are placed in a page just like any HTML control, such as:
You can do that with java. Have you heard of J2EE, and JSPs?

0rthodontist said:
Did you think I was saying anything other?
Well... yes. Your complaint seems to change with every post. :tongue:

What if you decided you wanted more descriptive names for your panels than "panel1," maybe something self documenting like "headerpanel"?
If you were working on a project that allowed you to give names like that, then obviously one would write HidePanel to be able to work with those names. Duh. It almost sounds like you're arguing just for the sake of arguing. :rolleyes:

This is an excellent programming practice which is completely incompatible with code referring to its own variables names as strings.
Um... "headerpanel" is a string, you know.

What if you wanted to do two different things?
Are you seriously objecting to HidePanel because the only thing it does is hide panels? :confused:

This is (to a first approximation) the publish/subscribe design pattern.
A good design pattern applied to the wrong problem is a bad programming practice.
The publish/subscribe pattern is is objectively better for the reusability, maintenance, and readability reasons I mentioned, and has no disadvantages.
Do you seriously think that:

(1) Designing, debugging, and maintaining your pub/sub architecture.
(2) Creating and documenting a panel hiding topic.
(3) Designing, debugging, and maintaining a panel hider object.
(4) Creating the panel hider, and subscribing to the topic.
(5) Every time you create a panel:
(5a) Connecting to the panel hiding topic.
(5b) Registering this panel.
(6) Every time you destroy a panel:
(6a) Connecting to the panel hiding topic.
(6b) Unregistering this panel.
(7) Every time you want to hide a panel:
(7a) Connecting to the panel hiding topic.
(7b) Publishing the name of the panel to the topic.

(I'm not even sure there is a way to do 6 reliably)

is easier to maintain and read, and has no disadvantages over:

(1) Designing, debugging, and maintaining a function that hides panels.
(2) Every time you want to hide a panel:
(2a) Pass the name of your panel to the function?

Certainly there will be situations where doing this via pub/sub would be desirable. But it baffles me that you think pub/sub would commonly be the right way to accomplish this task, let alone always.

(and besides, if you were using any sort of pub/sub architecture, I would expect HidePanel to be the function called by the object that consumes the hiding messages to actually hide the panel)

Yes, this might be a problem if Javascript didn't use garbage collection.
You can't garbage collect it unless you remember to unsubscribe, so that it's entry has been removed from the associative array.

Last edited:
Hurkyl said:
You can do that with java. Have you heard of J2EE, and JSPs?
Yes, i have. But the idea of a server application running on a VM doesn't excite me. Other than that it's fine, and it's very close to ASP.NET/C# (which i admit copies a lot from Java), but Java's portability in this case is not particularly useful. I'm not aware of a compiler for Java that compiles into native machine code, rather than VM code. I would imagine there would be one around.
It would be nice, after coding in Java, to be able to decide whether i want my program to run on the VM or not.

Last edited:
-Job- said:
I'm not aware of a compiler for Java that compiles into native machine code
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just-in-time_compilation

Sun's HotSpot VM (the one that comes with JDK 5.0, I believe) does this by default. (I don't know how long it's had this capability) The javadocs call it an "Adaptive compiler".

Oh! The wikipedia page suggests that .NET is doing this too. :wink:

Java's portability in this case is not particularly useful.
Are you sure? Maybe it would be more clear if I knew the exact circumstance you're imagining.

In the case I'm imagining, nonportability means you're locked into a particular architecture when it comes time to upgrade, and extra headaches if your network isn't homogeneous.

Last edited:
I mean that the JSP or J2EE server application is running only at the server. There's not much point in having a portable application if it's only running in a single location.
Maybe it's nice to be able to move from a Windows to a Linux server environment, but it's not something that's going to happen alot, and not worth the overhead of the VM, i don't think.

.NET uses JIT compilation, I didn't know this was available for Java. Java certainly gets a lot of credit from me for pretty much defining a lot of today's standards and technologies.

Last edited:
You said a lot of stuff, Hurkyl. Thank you for pointing out that Java feature; I had no idea Java could do that. However besides that I would like to reply only to this comment, because it seems pretty far from what I thought this conversation was about and I want to make sure that we're even talking about the same thing:
Hurkyl said:
If you were working on a project that allowed you to give names like that, then obviously one would write HidePanel to be able to work with those names. Duh. It almost sounds like you're arguing just for the sake of arguing. :rolleyes:
I'm talking about the following code:
Code:
function HidePanel(i){
	this["Panel" + i].style.visibility = 'hidden';
}
How would you rewrite this to work with descriptive panel names? Something like
Code:
function HidePanel(str){
	this[str].style.visibility = 'hidden';
}
?
But then you're allowing yourself to have an argument which is not numeric. Why not simply write
Code:
function HidePanel(pan){
	pan.style.visibility = 'hidden';
}
?

More specifically, what I am objecting to about the function as written with a numeric argument is that it forces all panels to adhere to the naming scheme "panel1" "panel2" panel3" etc. I have been describing reasons why this is not a good idea. If the panels are not restricted to this naming scheme, then you would use something like a publish/subscribe framework in order to write the function with a numeric argument.

Does this clarify things?

Any of the variations you suggested are acceptable. But if you wanted to keep a numeric parameter (for whatever reason) you could still do:
Code:
Panels = ["Panel1", "MyPanel", "AnotherPanel", "Panel-5"];
function HidePanel(i){
	this[Panels[1]].style.visibility = 'hidden';
}

The original idea was to avoid the switch statement. I' was thinking HidePanel would be a function of some object. This object would have its own Panels which we don't really care to expose to other objects, for encapsulation, so we don't have access to their names or references.

How would you rewrite this to work with descriptive panel names? Something like
Code:
function HidePanel(str){
	this[str].style.visibility = 'hidden';
}
?

That's exactly what I was thinking.

But then you're allowing yourself to have an argument which is not numeric.
Actually, nonnumeric arguments were already allowed; -Job-'s original code snippet could be invoked as HidePanel("header"), and the panel named panelheader would be hidden.

As for passing the name of the panel versus an actual reference to the panel... I would ask the people who would be using the function what they prefer. (And I must admit... in this context I would probably prefer to pass by name, especially if I didn't know any javascript)

If the panels are not restricted to this naming scheme, then you would use something like a publish/subscribe framework in order to write the function with a numeric argument.
I don't see how pub/sub is applicable to this at all.

Last edited:
Wow, has this ever gone off-topic. And at 4 for 4 currently in the poll, I guess I should just wait until there is a larger sample of votes before considering what language to use.

"And now we play the waiting game."

If the topics and examples aren't too hard or too specific, it might be good to see both... by you doing one language and having someone else show the equivalent code in the other language.

...just a thought
...and a bump to get someone to possibly break the tie.

robphy said:
If the topics and examples aren't too hard or too specific, it might be good to see both... by you doing one language and having someone else show the equivalent code in the other language.

I did, at one point, consider this. However, I also realized that different programming languages, especially those as contrasting in approach of design as Python and C, will require different approaches to piecing together the code. It would apply constraints on the effectiveness of the programming to force myself to program each piece in two (or more) substantially different programming languages.

First, I think that your idea is a good one, Sane.

Second, I don't see any reason you should limit yourself to a single language: write one article in C++, and the next in something else. (If a particular design works well in two languages you could do them in parallel as robphy suggests.)

CRGreathouse said:
First, I think that your idea is a good one, Sane.

Second, I don't see any reason you should limit yourself to a single language: write one article in C++, and the next in something else. (If a particular design works well in two languages you could do them in parallel as robphy suggests.)

That seems viable. One thing I wanted to try is have each article build up the foundation for an entire project. If I were to change languages, it would have to be at the end of every topic change. Another goal was to provide a medium to learn the language well, and see what can be done. So, yet again, changing languages would have to be gradually done between every 2 or 3 articles.

I like the idea! I'm considering it, since different programming languages have different advantages for every project. I can see myself switching between PHP, Python, C and maybe even some specifics such as SDL, CherryPy, WinSock, and the Win32API. This way, I'm not limiting what people can expect.

I'm thinking this will start to be planned out in greater detail and structure, before the new year. Then I may start writing, depending on the circumstances, by January or February.