Sets with negative number of elements?

In summary: Loeb.In summary, a set with a negative number of elements is called a multiset. It is easy to see that a multiset can be described as a function that tells you how many copies of an object there are. From there, it's a small step to allow functions to have negative values. This generalization of the notion of a set permits a set to have a negative number of elements.
Boris Leykin
Hi. :)
Look what I've found here http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/nth_quantization.html"
something interesting about sets with negative cardinality... but for that, you'll have to read this:
Daniel Loeb, Sets with a negative number of elements, Adv. Math. 91 (1992), 64-74
Can anyone say is this nonsense or what, negative cardinality?
I am very curious. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Such generalizations are easy enough to construct. I imagine you have no trouble with the notion of a multiset: a set that's allowed to contain multiple copies of something. e.g. <1, 1, 2> would be different from <1, 2>.

It's easy to see that a multiset can be described as a function that tells you how many copies of an object there are. e.g. if S = <1, 1, 2>, then S(1) = 2, S(2) = 1, and S(x) = 0 for anything else.

From there, it's a small step to allow functions to have negative values. Then *voila*, you have a generalization of the notion of a set that permits a set to have a negative number of elements.

I don't know exactly what sort of generalization that article is planning on discussing, though. It might be this one, or it might be something entirely different.

http://www.math.ucr.edu/home/baez/cardinality/" :yuck:

Thank you. :smile:
All my excitement vanished.

Last edited by a moderator:
isn't that a good methodological abbreviation for anything that is "hyper-nonexistent"?

of similar interest would be considering circles with a negative radius (my favourite object) etc.
any ideas about this??

best
karrerkarrer

karrerkarrer said:
isn't that a good methodological abbreviation for anything that is "hyper-nonexistent"?

of similar interest would be considering circles with a negative radius (my favourite object) etc.
any ideas about this??

best
karrerkarrer

This would imply that the circle's negative radius causes the circle to "fold in on itself" so-to-speak into a negative dimension below the circle's two. This raises the question of negative dimensions... Theories?

dark3lf said:
This would imply that the circle's negative radius causes the circle to "fold in on itself" so-to-speak into a negative dimension below the circle's two. This raises the question of negative dimensions... Theories?

Quite simple. A circle of radius r is the solutions to x2+y2=r2. So negative radius circle is the same as positive radius.

imaginary radius is probably more interesting. You'd get the hyperbolic plane, depending on how you define it.

1. What are sets with negative number of elements?

Sets with negative number of elements are mathematical sets that have a negative number as the number of elements in the set. This means that the set is empty, as it contains no elements.

2. Can sets have a negative number of elements?

Yes, sets can have a negative number of elements. This is a concept in mathematics, where the number of elements in a set can be any integer, including negative numbers.

3. How are sets with negative number of elements represented?

Sets with negative number of elements are usually represented by the symbol "∅" or "Ø", which means an empty set. This indicates that the set has no elements.

4. What is the cardinality of a set with a negative number of elements?

The cardinality of a set refers to the number of elements in the set. For sets with a negative number of elements, the cardinality is represented by the absolute value of the negative number. For example, if a set has -3 elements, the cardinality would be 3.

5. What is the purpose of studying sets with negative number of elements?

Studying sets with negative number of elements is important in understanding the concept of empty sets and their properties in mathematics. It also helps in developing logical thinking and reasoning skills, as well as in solving more complex mathematical problems.