Resolving Power and diffraction

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of how far away a car is when its taillights appear to merge into a single spot of light due to the effects of diffraction. The relevant equations used are the relationship between refractive index, wavelength, and distance; and the Rayleigh criterion for resolution. The final calculation is attempted using the Pythagorean theorem, but the correct answer is not obtained. Further clarification or assistance may be needed to find the correct solution.
Dart82

Homework Statement

Late one night on a highway, a car speeds by you and fades into the distance. Under these conditions the pupils of your eyes (average refractive index = 1.36) have diameters of about 7.0 mm. The taillights of this car are separated by a distance of 1.3 m and emit red light (wavelength = 660 nm in vacuum). How far away from you is this car when its taillights appear to merge into a single spot of light because of the effects of diffraction?
[URL=http://img58.imageshack.us/my.php?image=resolvingpoweruz3.jpg][PLAIN]http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/1871/resolvingpoweruz3.th.jpg[/URL][/PLAIN]

Homework Equations

s=r(theta)
Rayleigh criterion for resolution: theta min = 1.22 (lambda/D)

The Attempt at a Solution

lambda eye = lambda vacuum/ n eye
(660x10^-9m) / 1.32 = 5x10^-7m

1.22(lambda eye/D)=s/r
1.22(5x10^-7m)/0.007m = 1.3m/r
r = 15385 meters
What am i doing wrong here??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
the answer should be?

the only thing i can think of is:
a^2 + b^2 = c^2

(15385m^2) - (.65m^2 ) = answer ...i got 15384.99 which i know isn't right

What is resolving power?

Resolving power is a measure of an optical instrument's ability to distinguish between two closely spaced objects. It is the smallest distance between two objects that can still be seen as separate entities.

How is resolving power related to diffraction?

Resolving power is directly related to diffraction, which is the bending of light waves as they pass through an aperture or around an object. The smaller the aperture or the closer the objects are together, the more diffraction occurs and the lower the resolving power.

What factors affect the resolving power of an instrument?

The resolving power of an instrument is affected by the wavelength of the light being used, the size of the aperture or lens, and the quality of the optical components. Generally, shorter wavelengths and larger apertures result in higher resolving power.

How can the resolving power of an instrument be improved?

The resolving power of an instrument can be improved by using smaller apertures, shorter wavelengths, and better quality optical components. Specialized techniques such as adaptive optics and deconvolution can also be used to improve resolving power.

Why is resolving power important in scientific research?

Resolving power is important in scientific research because it allows us to see and study smaller and more closely spaced objects, which can lead to new discoveries and a better understanding of the world around us. It is particularly crucial in fields such as astronomy, microscopy, and nanotechnology.