Calculating Buoyancy and Tension in a 2-Sphere System in an Ocean

In summary, two spheres with masses of 200kg and 15kg, connected by a thin wire, are dropped into the ocean with a specific density of 1000kg/m^3. The buoyancy force and lift force must be taken into account when determining the net force acting on each sphere. The equations Fnet = T + ρVg - m1g and mg = downwards force - buoyancy can be used to calculate the net force on each sphere. The specific density of the lighter sphere may affect how much of it is submerged.
aff67611

Homework Statement

Two spheres, with volume 0.1m^3, and masses M1=200kg and M2=15kg, are connected by a thin wire. They are dropped into the ocean (assume Rho=1000kg/m^3) and allowed to sink

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know buoyancy = Rho * g * V
Buoyancy + Lift-M2 + Fwire = Sink-M1.

I'm not sure how to get the rising/sinking forces of the two spheres, and how they interact with each other though.

Any help at all is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forums,

Well initially, I think it would be best if we considered each sphere independently. So, can you write two separate equations for the net force acting on each sphere?

My best guess would be:

Heavy (case1). mg = downwards force - buoyancy. DownwardsF = 200g - 981N = 981N?

I'm not sure how the lighter sphere will act though. If it's specific density is lower than 1 then only part of the sphere will be submerged if it's acting seperately?

For the heavy one, I was thinking something more of the form (taking upwards as positive);

[tex]F_{net} = T + \rho\cdot V\cdot g - m_{1}g[/tex]

Where T is the tension in the string. Does that make sense?

1. What are 2 spheres in an ocean?

2 spheres in an ocean refers to two spherical objects present in a body of water, such as an ocean or a lake.

2. What are some examples of 2 spheres in an ocean?

Examples of 2 spheres in an ocean could include two floating objects, such as buoys or fishing nets, or two spherical marine animals, such as sea urchins or jellyfish.

3. What is the significance of studying 2 spheres in an ocean?

Studying 2 spheres in an ocean can provide insight into the behavior and interactions of objects or organisms in a marine environment. It can also help understand the impact of human activities on these spheres and the ocean ecosystem as a whole.

4. How are 2 spheres in an ocean studied?

There are various methods for studying 2 spheres in an ocean, including direct observation, remote sensing techniques, and data collection through instruments such as sonars and underwater cameras.

5. What are some potential challenges when studying 2 spheres in an ocean?

The dynamic and vast nature of the ocean can present challenges when studying 2 spheres. Factors such as weather, currents, and depth can make it difficult to accurately observe and collect data on these spheres. Additionally, the presence of other marine life and human activities can also impact the study of 2 spheres in an ocean.