GPA of Upper Division & Lower Division courses and M.S degree

In summary, the speaker has just graduated from a university with a 3.5 overall GPA in Mechanical Engineering. They had some difficulties with lower-level division courses during their freshman and sophomore years, but excelled in their junior and senior years. They are wondering if these lower division grades will hinder their chances of getting into top graduate universities for their M.S degree or when applying for jobs. However, others have reassured them that a 3.5 GPA is satisfactory for both job applications and graduate school admissions, as long as they have strong recommendation letters and perform well on the GREs.
Leo S
I just graduated from a University. I was in Mechanical Engineering major. My overall GPA is 3.5. However, I have some problems with my Lower-level division courses. While I was in Freshman and Sophomore years, I had some Ds, Fs and W in some Math and G.E subjects.
I did very very well in my Junior and Senior years. Can these grades of D,F be serious barriers to me by the time I go to Top Graduate Universities for my M.S degree or I apply for a job? I think that they look at everything even though Upper Division courses are more important.

Is there anyone who have the same experience as me? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Those lower division grades won't be a problem. For jobs, a 3.5 is absolutely fine. For graduate school, assuming that you will have good recommendation letters and you do well on the GREs, you'll get into a good school.

I understand the importance of grades in both upper and lower level courses. While your overall GPA of 3.5 is certainly a strong accomplishment, it is important to recognize that graduate schools and potential employers may take a closer look at your lower division grades, particularly in subjects related to your major.

However, it is also important to note that your performance in your junior and senior years, when you did well, can also demonstrate growth and improvement in your academic abilities. This can be a positive factor in your favor when applying for graduate programs or jobs.

In terms of your question about whether these grades will be serious barriers to your future academic or career pursuits, it ultimately depends on the specific requirements and expectations of the graduate programs and employers you are interested in. Some may place more weight on your overall GPA, while others may consider your performance in specific courses or your overall trend of improvement.

I would recommend reaching out to specific graduate programs or potential employers to inquire about their expectations and how they weigh different aspects of an application. Additionally, highlighting your strengths and improvements in your personal statement or during interviews can also help to mitigate any concerns about your lower division grades.

I believe that every individual's academic journey is unique and it is important not to compare yourself to others. There may be others who have had similar experiences, but it is important to focus on your own strengths and accomplishments. Continue to work hard and showcase your passion and dedication for your field, and I am confident that you will find success in your future pursuits. Best of luck.

1. What is the difference between upper division and lower division courses?

In most universities, lower division courses refer to introductory or foundational classes that are typically taken in the first two years of undergraduate study. Upper division courses, on the other hand, are more specialized and are usually taken in the last two years of undergraduate study or during graduate study.

2. How are grades calculated for upper division and lower division courses?

Grades for upper division and lower division courses are calculated using the same scale (e.g. A-F). However, some universities may weigh upper division courses more heavily in GPA calculations as they are more advanced and specialized.

3. Can I retake a course to improve my GPA?

Yes, in most cases you can retake a course to improve your GPA. However, it is important to check with your university's policies and procedures regarding retaking courses and how it may affect your GPA.

4. How does my GPA in upper division courses affect my chances of getting into a Masters program?

Graduate programs often look at an applicant's overall GPA, as well as their GPA in specific areas of study, such as upper division courses. A strong GPA in upper division courses can demonstrate a student's ability to handle advanced coursework and may improve their chances of being accepted into a Masters program.

5. Do grades from my undergraduate degree carry over to my Masters degree?

No, grades from undergraduate courses do not carry over to a Masters degree. However, some universities may consider a student's undergraduate GPA when making admissions decisions for a Masters program.