Cartesian Tensors and transformation matrix

In summary, Howard is seeking help with understanding the equation for the transformation matrix in the chapter on Cartesian tensors. He is unable to find a derivation and is not familiar with LaTeX. The transformation matrix, Lij, is given by the dot product of the basis vectors of the primed and unprimed Cartesian coordinate system. The matrix is orthogonal and its inverse transformation is given by Xi = Lji X'j. The property Lki Lkj = delij should be remembered for future use.
Hacky
I was just reading chapter on Cartesian tensors and came across equation for transformation matrix as function of basic vectors. I just do not get it and cannot find a derivation. I am too old to learn Latex, I uploaded a word document with the equation. Thanks, Howard

Attachments

• Document1.doc
    16 KB · Views: 262
Physics news on Phys.org
Howard,

Lij=cos(e'i,ej)=e'i dot ej.

I am looking at page 930-931 Of Riley, Hobson, Bence.

They go from:

e'j,= Sij ei

X'i = (S[tex]^{-1}[/tex])ij Xj

Define L as inverse of matrix S

X'i = Lij Xj, since rotations of coordinate axes are rigid, transformation matrix L is orthogonal, thus the inverse transformation is

Xi = Lji X'j and

Lik Ljk = [tex]\delta[/tex]ij and Lki Lkj = [tex]\delta[/tex]ij

"furthermore, in terms of basis vectors of the primed and unprimed Cartesian coordinate system, the transformation matrix is given by

Lij = e'i dot ej

I understand the cosine formula for dot product but do not see how the transformation matrix follows from this argument. I am starting to get the Latex, but all the i's and j's are of course subscripts.

Thanks

Last edited:
using x'ie'i=xjej ; If you start from e'j,= Sij ei, then Sij is some matrix which is defined.x'je'j=xiei or x'jSij ei=xiei ,i.e. Sij x'j=xi, i.e.x'j=[Sinverse]jixi , noting how matrix operation is applicable[again e.g.by dotting by dotting e'k for both sides then you get x'k=xjLkj]...

Some property Lki Lkj = delij, should be remembered once for all.Then you can get everything else.

Last edited:

1. What is a Cartesian tensor?

A Cartesian tensor is a mathematical object used to represent physical quantities such as forces, moments, and stress in three-dimensional space. It is defined by its components and follows specific transformation rules under coordinate transformations.

2. How is a tensor different from a vector?

A tensor is a multidimensional quantity that can represent more complex physical phenomena, whereas a vector is a one-dimensional quantity that only represents magnitude and direction. Tensors have more components and follow different transformation rules compared to vectors.

3. What is a transformation matrix and how is it related to tensors?

A transformation matrix is a mathematical tool used to represent the transformation of coordinates from one coordinate system to another. It is related to tensors because tensors have components that change according to the transformation matrix when the coordinate system changes.

4. How do you determine the components of a tensor in a new coordinate system?

The components of a tensor in a new coordinate system can be determined by using the transformation matrix. The transformation matrix is multiplied with the components of the tensor in the original coordinate system to obtain the components in the new coordinate system.

5. What is the significance of using Cartesian tensors in physics and engineering?

Cartesian tensors are used in physics and engineering because they provide a mathematical framework for representing physical quantities in three-dimensional space. They are useful for solving problems involving stress, strain, and other physical phenomena, and their transformation rules make it easier to work with different coordinate systems.