Exploring the Concept of Virtual Particles in Space-Time Continuum

In summary, Eugene, virtual particles are theoretical objects that are not actually present in our reality. They are created through the interaction of matter and energy, and can be used to explain a variety of phenomena.
Nick666
Hello.

Cant it be that the fabric of space-time continuum or space is transforming into the virtual particle and vice-versa?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, 59 views and no post saying that I`m an idiot.

I see all this articles on the net about virtual particles popping out of nothing, quantum field variations, vacuum fluctuations, virtual particles and causality, and all sorts of explications of why virtual particles pop apparently out of nothing, buy when they get deeper into the theory, i get lost.

So maybe I`m an idiot.

The simplest explanations that I saw were:

-virtual particles pop there, but at the same time they disappear somewhere else.
-virtual particles come from other dimension/universe
-matter is created out of nothing (yeah right...)

So can anyone explain me in layman`s terms about these virtual particles, and also about my original question.

Nick666 said:

No, not at all. I think one reason for the silence is that the question of virtual particles has been discussed in news-groups hundreds of times. These discussions often lead to such flame-wars, that people may be hesitant to start them again.

I recently posted an opinion on this subject:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1391726&postcount=6

Regards.
Eugene.

Nick666 said:

...maybe because your original question was not very crisp...

You should try to sharpen up your question a bit and then maybe someone will be able to call you an idiot.

Good luck.

Nick666 said:
I see all this articles on the net about virtual particles popping out of nothing, quantum field variations, vacuum fluctuations, virtual particles and causality, and all sorts of explications of why virtual particles pop apparently out of nothing, buy when they get deeper into the theory, i get lost.

This is the problem that we all have. It takes a lot of work to understand
some of these things... otherwise they wouldn't be called "deep."

You should be careful with the net. Sometimes it is not the best place to
get your information. Try a textbook. It's hard for me to judge just
exactly what might work... but maybe you would like to look at Griffith's
book on particle theory... I think it's titled "Introduction to particle theory" or something like that.

olgranpappy said:
You should be careful with the net. Sometimes it is not the best place to
get your information. Try a textbook. It's hard for me to judge just
exactly what might work... but maybe you would like to look at Griffith's
book on particle theory... I think it's titled "Introduction to particle theory" or something like that.

Nick666,

I agree with olgranpappy. From your question I tend to think that you read a lot of popular science literature. It is fine, if you do it for entertainment. However, if you really want to understand the true nature of things, there is no substitute for a good old textbook.

Eugene.

Nick666 said:
Hello.

Cant it be that the fabric of space-time continuum or space is transforming into the virtual particle and vice-versa?
How do you define "fabric of space-time continuum"?

And what does it mean for it to "transform into the virtual particle"?

The reason nobody answered your question is probably because nobody could make any sense of it. It's "word salad": a bunch of physics jargon thrown together in a way that doesn't have any meaning to someone who knows physics.

It could be that you simply haven't found the right words to phrase your question. Try again using different terminology, or give more detail. If this comes out of reading something, it would probably help to tell us what Web page or book you were looking at, and even better, quote some of it.

1. What are virtual particles?

Virtual particles are subatomic particles that exist for a very short amount of time, typically on the order of 10^-23 seconds, and are constantly popping in and out of existence in the vacuum of space. They are not considered real particles in the traditional sense, as they cannot be directly observed or measured, but their effects can be observed through various physical phenomena.

2. How do virtual particles relate to the space-time continuum?

In quantum field theory, virtual particles are described as fluctuations in the quantum fields that make up the fabric of space-time. These fluctuations can be thought of as disturbances in the space-time continuum, causing ripples that manifest as virtual particles. However, it is important to note that virtual particles do not actually travel through space-time like real particles, but are rather a mathematical construct used to explain certain phenomena.

3. Can virtual particles become real particles?

Yes, virtual particles can become real particles under certain conditions. This process is known as pair production, where a virtual particle and its antiparticle are created from the energy of the vacuum. In certain high-energy environments, such as near a black hole or in particle accelerators, the energy of the vacuum can be converted into real particles, including virtual particles.

4. How do virtual particles affect the behavior of matter?

Virtual particles play a crucial role in quantum mechanics and the behavior of matter on a subatomic level. They are responsible for various phenomena, such as the Casimir effect and the Lamb shift, and are also involved in the interactions between particles, such as the exchange of virtual photons between charged particles. Without virtual particles, our understanding of the behavior of matter would be incomplete.

5. Are virtual particles a proven concept?

While virtual particles cannot be directly observed or measured, there is strong evidence for their existence through various physical phenomena and their role in quantum field theory. However, our current understanding of virtual particles is still an area of ongoing research and exploration. As our knowledge and technology continue to advance, we may gain a deeper understanding of the concept of virtual particles and their role in the universe.